Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Ill race mitch.. lol with my raptor now and my new YFZ.. if i get one!!!!!!! woo hooo

Old 12-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Definatly want a Banshee. Lets put it this way. I'd much rather rebuild a topend in a 2 stroke then in a 4 stroke. 2 strokes are a blast. My friends raptor was nothing but problems for him. Axle bearings went bad every 3 months, one way starter bearing was completely gone, Fender brackets snapped, frame snapped, Engine top end needed rebuilt. This was an 02. He made the best decision ever. He got it looking nice and traded it in on a 450r. Best move ever. I'm doing the same in april.

If I were you, I would not get another raptor. That is just me. I would get either a Banshee, YFZ, or 450r if I were you.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

For some reason, 400EX owner hate raptors. Don't know why, but I know a lot of them that do.

Anyway, the YFZs have been having some minor reliablity problems like most Yamahas. That shouldn't be what influences your decision. You should buy the bike that suits your riding style. If you are a hot rodder, then the YFZ or shee is for you. If you are a muscle cruiser, then the Raptor is it, man.

If you use a quality synthetic oil in your shee, you won't have to worry so much about top end rebuilds. You will go years on an new banshee with out having to touch it. Same goes for the Raptor.

If you want to save your starter on a Rap, put it in neutral when trailering. Start in neutral too.

If you want to save your fendor bracket and frame, stop flipping the bike.

Don't know what to say about axle bearings, I am on my second set in 3 years The high Raptor Torque is hard on them.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
For some reason, 400EX owner hate raptors. Don't know why, but I know a lot of them that do.
The raptor was the first 4 stroke that could beat the 400, and it did it convincingly. The ds and fx400 were faster too, but you didnt see nearly as many of them around. This resulted in early animosity towards the raptor, and eventually other machines.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

my two cents. I own a raptor 660 but I have owned a banshee in the past. I like the raptor better due to handling and newer mantenance issues. It wheelies better, it has predictable power, it's comfortable and fast.
I do miss the banshee because it was not bad to maintain but the raptor is easier. The banshee flies but so does the raptor. In tight technical woods the raptor is way better. But the banshee can be ridden anywhere also. You just cant let it load up. Both are good bikes. But I prefer the raptor. The banshee two stroke's sounds and the smell of oil burning can not be replaced. I wish they would make a 2 stroke 700 and call it a rapshee. put it in a raptor frame. lower it and put banshee head lights on it and yfz shocks.
you would have 1 bad screamin witch

just dreamin. both are awesome bikes though.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, mount a snowmobile 700 twin in your raptor. Call it a Rapmobile.

That would be an awesome bike.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, mount a snowmobile 700 twin in your raptor. Call it a Rapmobile.

That would be an awesome bike.
lol, that would be pretty sweet, and i like the name[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
The raptor was the first 4 stroke that could beat the 400, and it did it convincingly. The ds and fx400 were faster too, but you didnt see nearly as many of them around. This resulted in early animosity towards the raptor, and eventually other machines.
400EX owners where snobs before the Raptor came out. I bet they need therapy now from getting smoked so much by Raptors...and every quad that came out after. This resentment is apparent in some of the email posts you see from them. You know, most health insurance policies cover mental health issues....and Yamaha is offering 3.9% financing OAC. Check your local authorized Yamaha dealer for details.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: ZillaRider87
Originally posted by: TheOwner
listen, i was there. The 450 got it off the line, but after that, the raptor destroyed it. if you want to act like a 15 year old and call it an idiotic post, thatsw your right. and as for the governor comment, it was implying the raptor is bottled up, becuase a modified 686 should shamelessly destroy YFZ's. but go ahead, talk with your head up your ***. maybe if you'd stop listening to all the magazine hype yhou'd realize the 450's arent as much as they're cracked up to be.
lmao, i dont even read those magazines, because half is lies, other half, is bullsh!t. and BTW im 16... and yes, ive seen YFZ's beat rappys off the start AND through the gears. and how am i talking with my hea dup my ***? how about you come to Mich and we can race....and what do you even have??
what do i have he says. i have a '99 banshee with a .20 over bore, milled heads, port and polish, toomey t-5 pipes, K&N filter and jet kit, boost bottle, pro design over sized radiatior, barnett clutch, and alba air box lid with holes in it.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

That's it? It's pretty much stock then. A stock YFZ would leave you in the dust.

My Raptor would eat your lunch then puke all over you. I have smoke much hotter banshees than yours.

Quick Reply: I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??