Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

[quote]
[i]well, when you can ride a wheelie down the road with your feet on the handle bars for as long as you damn well please, then you can dish it out to me, other than that, shut the hell up.

/q]

Halarious! LOL

Them blasters are much easier to ride a wheelie on. If I had one like yours, I am sure I could put my feet up too. But, it's alot tougher for us big boy quads. You'll understand one day when you are all big.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
[i]

Oh and for who ever said that the 400ex people are mad because of raptors coming out and beating them. What the heck are you talking about shees have been killing them since the "ex" came out.
Yeah, but the shee is in a different class. The Raptor is in the same class as the 400EX. The 400 was the begining of the new 4-stroke class. And the Raptor challanged it. The shee had already been around for a while and the 400 wasn't designed to challange it.

Like I said in a earlier post, if you hang out at comp hill for a while, you will see the YFZs dominanting. This includes domination of the Banshee. It will be tough to disagree with that, don't you think?

I have always put the Raptor in a different class then the 400ex there kinda in 2 different leagues. The 400ex is way under powered compared to the 400. As for the domination thing I guess it's kinda like domination in a limited class. Sure I will agree that between the 2 with some simple bolt on's such as pipes and filters with the weekend worrior rider the 450 is winning the battle. Not even because it is faster but because you need to be a good rider to launch a banshee as well as a 450. Any one can jump on a 4 stroke and launch it well. They just dont spin. But any well ported shee with a good rider will beat any 450 with bolt ons and some with a $hit load of $$$$$ in it with an equal rider. After that the shee can be modded to light years beyond the poor 450.

So I dont think you can say that the 450 dominates anything. Maybe the average piped shee's with average rider. "Which is what most bikes have" But in the classes with the big dogs who really own the hill, the 450's know where they can and CAN'T play. So yea the outa the box racer is the 450 but the fast bikes are still the smokers.

So I guess your kinda right the the "2" YFZ's do own the hill but the YFZ 350 has been the king for 18 years and still counting. And when the day is over the fastest bike there will always be a banshee

Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

I concur with your post. It was a general statement that the YFZ is the king of the quads.

There are a lot of factors determining who wins.

But, I think the Rap is in the same class as the 400. The Raptor is supposed to be a 660 in a 400 chassis, 4 stroke, light front end, short wheel base, sport/trail quad...yada yada yada.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

I concur with your post. It was a general statement that the YFZ is the king of the quads.

There are a lot of factors determining who wins.

But, I think the Rap is in the same class as the 400. The Raptor is supposed to be a 660 in a 400 chassis, 4 stroke, light front end, short wheel base, sport/trail quad...yada yada yada.

I feel that there are also more factors that make something the best quad and weight, power, and handleing arent the only ones. I feel that the shee is the most fun quad to ride. I have never heard anyone say they were bored when rideing a modded shee but me and alot of other riders dont get the same thrill when we ride a 4 stroke. But there apples and oranges. Some like the 450 handleing some like how low the shee sits. some like a powerband some like a forgiveing smooth engine. oh well.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I understand where you are coming from. There aint nothing like the sound of a high reving piped banshee moter and the power band that goes with it. It is as sweet as can be.

There are many advantages to a thumpers too. It just depends on where and how you like to ride.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Rappy, Go 4 stroke, lol

Old 12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Yes there are the only one that I really enjoy is the rap. I love the feel it feels like a harley. The power is instant. Exact opposite of my bike which is probably why it is fun to ride.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason, 400EX owner hate raptors. Don't know why, but I know a lot of them that do.

Anyway, the YFZs have been having some minor reliablity problems like most Yamahas. That shouldn't be what influences your decision. You should buy the bike that suits your riding style. If you are a hot rodder, then the YFZ or shee is for you. If you are a muscle cruiser, then the Raptor is it, man.

If you use a quality synthetic oil in your shee, you won't have to worry so much about top end rebuilds. You will go years on an new banshee with out having to touch it. Same goes for the Raptor.

If you want to save your starter on a Rap, put it in neutral when trailering. Start in neutral too.

If you want to save your fendor bracket and frame, stop flipping the bike.

Don't know what to say about axle bearings, I am on my second set in 3 years The high Raptor Torque is hard on them.
Okay

1. He never trailored the bike and always started it in neutral.
2. They broke before he ever flipped it.
3. Axle bearings....yeah me neither.

He never used synthetic oil because he always assumed it was bad for the wet clutch. Even since he didn't use synthetic, it shouldn't have went in two years.

BTW, I've never been smoked by a raptor.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2004LEBANSHEE
Calm down, everyone knows you dont come to this site for good information from smart posters. Most people on here dont know anything. Anyone who even thinks that a stock "450" or slightly modded one would even hang with that shee is an absolute moron. Stop reading magizines. The 450s fall on there face after 3rd and a 450 needs SERIOUS mods to even hang with a well ported shee. Some of you guys need to get your facts straight or open you eyes. Your right the new 4 strokes may be takeing over " in sales that is" but there still a long way from a well built shee and thats a fact.

Oh and for who ever said that the 400ex people are mad because of raptors coming out and beating them. What the heck are you talking about shees have been killing them since the "ex" came out.

Put me into the "moron" catagory then. Make that a capital "M" too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have drag raced three heavily modded Banshees in the last couple of months at our hang out. Have yet to be beaten by one. I even took the opportunity to spend some time racing one of them against many other bikes that were there that day. My bike outran the Banshee while I was riding it too. I have spent MANY years riding the Banshee since the early nineties. Never thought I would see the day that some faster came out. But it has happened.

The 450 would just tear up the Banshee in the low end so bad it wasn't even funny. We were running on a 900 foot track. At the very end of the track the Banshees would start closing the gap, but that was about it.

Top end would obviously be not contest in favor of the Shee.

Buck

Old 12-18-2004, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone know what would win a Banshee with toomey's or a 450r with cam, jetted, and sparks full system???

Quick Reply: I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??