Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Where to go with WOLVERINE TIRES...modded wolv, could do sport or mud tires, take a look....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to go with WOLVERINE TIRES...modded wolv, could do sport or mud tires, take a look....

Hey, As in my sig I have a modded wolverine and everything is how I want it but last thing to change are my tires. Im torn on where to go with the tires. I think im going to get ITP steel wheels because, theyre only 25 bucks. But anyways, I have two ways to go with the tires and im torn on which direction I should choose. I could either go with 25 inch tires like the sur traks or the mudlights and keep my stock rims, which would be more on the mudding side. My other choice is to get new rims and go for more of a sport tire like a holeshot or fast trekker. My question is, which way should I go. Im afriad if I go with the larger mud tires im going to loose some power which i really dont want to do, but as it is now I need more traction then I have. I dont really have any experience with holeshot or fast trekker type tires and I want to know what type of characteristics do they have in all different terrain? are they going to gunk right up in the mud. I really dont hit super large mud holes but I do ride in the snow in the winter. What im really looking for is, If I were to be racing GNCC type trails (woods with bud but also open fields and lots of high speed) what is the best tire choice for me???

Thanks

Old 12-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Where to go with WOLVERINE TIRES...modded wolv, could do sport or mud tires, take a look....

lots of people like holeshot ATR's...kenda bearclaws...do a search on the forums and read up on all the different tires[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my ATR's a lot. They are one of the lighter 25" tires out there.

They do ok in mud, but they are not a true mud tire. I was well pleased with the snow performance last winter.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do NOT go with the steel wheels, aftermarket steel is HEAVY !!!!! when I put my Sur Tracs on my Wolverine,first I used some old steel rims I got off ebay, they weighed a TON compared to stock. I got lucky,scored some rear aluminum rims with reinforcing rings for 50 bucks, then bought some scratched Douglas rims from Rocky Mt. scratch-n-dent for 30 bucks each, then had OMF reinforcing rings welded on those too. They weigh almost nothing compared to steel, look great, and will help your quad ride better ( less unsprung weight ) and won't suck power to turn. Check my pictures for a good side view of my rims and tires. Spend the extra for aluminum, you won't be sorry.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah i dont have money for new aluminum ill have to look around for used or scratch and dent like you got. As to the holeshots im not talking about ATRs i was talking about more of a real sport tire like a regular holeshot or a razer. Like 20 or 22 inch sport tires.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Pro Rider

CTatv,

Any mudder will cut your power a little, but not as much as some people make it sound like. If you want an aggressive 6ply tire with lots of tread, go with a set of 589's. As far as I know the itp's are a little lighter than the titan's. I have the titan's and they go through the mud and snow very well, they are also good for turning at good speeds. I have been incredibly satisfied and I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Ryan

Old 12-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Range Rover

CTATV- I have thought about going with Holeshots or Rzrs myself. I would be very interested if anyone has tried this before. I am not a "mudder" and would like to get a little more of the sporty side of the Wolverine. Let me know if you decide to go with the sportbike wheels and tires.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

check out the itp spider tracks on rear and for the front carlsie trail wolfs my freinds got spider tracks in the rear on his warrior which is pretty much the same thing as a wolverine (minus 4wd) and you don't notice any powere loss and u don't get stuck my dad had trail wolf's on the front of his old 4wd big bear for turing we used it in the snow for plowing had black waters on the back... but chest out itp spidertracks on the back and carlsie trail wilfs front

Old 12-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TierOne,
Mixing brands front and back on a 4wd is not always a good idea, on loose terrain, like snow,mud,or sand, it would work, but a lot of tire manufacturers sizes vary, some by more than an inch, and with a full time four wheel drive, like the Wolverine, this will cause driveline binding and possible damage, especially if run on hardpack or at high speed. Your Dad plowing was slow speed on a slippery surface, so that would be safer, but it is best to get a matched set front and back to keep the gearing the same to avoid driveline damage.With my Warn 424, I could run different tires front and back, even different sizes, as long as I left it in 2wd, but that would limit me as to what I could do, and I find I use my 4wd a lot, even trail riding. My SurTracs turn great, have great sand, mud, and snow traction, and handle hardpack fine. Best thing would be to find the tires you like, then run a thinner one up front, that will give you traction, and still have easy steering.

Old 12-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Im aware of that but I have the 424 select and I ride in 2x4 the majority of the time other then when its sloppy like mud or snow and I need 4x4 traction

Found some rims on discount with a 4/110 bolt pattern but rim sizes really confuse me they're

Whats 3.5+5. rim is 8 wide by 8.5 diameter??? How much smaller are these then my 10x12? these would be for the front right?

Offset
3.5+5

Rim Size
8 x 8.5

Quick Reply: Where to go with WOLVERINE TIRES...modded wolv, could do sport or mud tires, take a look....