Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tires for my 2005 Kodiak 450......

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for my 2005 Kodiak 450......

i must of mis-understood him then.... doesn't matter, for me up here in Canada, we have a lot of snow, most of the time, and a lot of standing water on the trails... which means mud... so from looking at different tires, mudlites, 589s, outlaws, mudzillas, mudbugs, ect... i kind of like the look of the tires... the weights aren't too bad 31.2 pounds, the 450 should be able to spin the 26"s if neccesary.... but i haven't been able to find if this tire is going to be 6 ply or not...

Old 01-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Does anybody up in Canada use these? They've gotten great feedback on the forums. Weights are very close to the Outlaw MST also.

http://www.firestoneag.com/databook/...st.asp?ref=127
http://www.firestoneag.com/databook/...st.asp?ref=128

Old 01-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

well... i haven't seen anybody....

Old 01-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Highlifter has had a lot of quality control issues with their tires and wheels. I'd steer clear unless you're getting original Outlaws.

If you don't want to take our advice and get radials, I'd get dirt devils. I'd also recommend staying 25" because the kodiak just isn't that powerful. For radials try the ATR or carlisle badlands xtr. I don't know what everyone's talking about with soft sidewalls on the atr. They handle great IMO, huge improvement over stock(not exaggerating), and haven't had any issues in more than 1800 miles.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

well, as far as i can tell you, Highlifter has only had problems with the radials, and it was the manufacturers faulty processes, now i have read alot on the forums.... and i can't find ANY other problems.... i guess everyone has there own opinion of what tires to get... i just don't like the holeshot atrs.....

Old 01-31-2005, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MiseryMachine
thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Where is a link to the tires you purchased?

Is there any Sites that do Tire comparissons? Like Same machine, Same Rims, different rubber, then drive though the same conditions exactly? then post results, and not there opinions?

anybody?

You might do a search on Google for 'ATV Tire Shootout' or something to that effect.

My TiVo records ATV Television and ATV Magazine Television every time they come on (guys look out for these shows if you haven't seen them, they are great). The two shows are very different. ATV Mag tv is much more professional, and is somewhat like an infomercial where they test and demo products. They do have some VERY cool segments though called ATV Destination - where they do an expose on great riding spots around the country. However, ATV TV is quite different. It's a lower budget show by far, but they dig much deeper into products and atv's and definitely point out the BAD with the good on everything they test. Yes they have sponsors too and test products, but they tell you what you want to know.

Recently they had an entire episode of atv tv that was a tire shootout. The atr, carlisle badlands xtr radial, and a few others were at the top of the heap. They couldn't say enough about putting radials on IRS quads. In subsequent episodes where they review atv's, EVERY SINGLE IRS quad they rode they commented on how much the handling would be improved with radial tires, and how they consider them a mandatory upgrade and the first that should be done. Over and over again they stress this issue.

PS - those shows are on OLN and another one I believe is OUT - outdoor life network and outdoor chanel on direct tv - low 600's maybe 606, not sure what they are called or numbered elsewhere.

On top of that I add all of the reviews I've read on tires, and my own personal experience with the holeshot atr's to offer you advice. I don't care if you don't get atrs, and honestly it sounds like you ride SOME mud and atr's do have you going around the mud puddles. Maybe the badlands is worth a look or other manufacturers' radial brands. I just know the handling on my prairie DRAMATICALLY improved with the upgrade to atr's from stock, on stock wheels. (I sold my stock tires with 300 miles on ebay for $115! Don't toss or burn them up!) So in conclusion I can only stress again you get a radial tire!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MiseryMachine
well, as far as i can tell you, Highlifter has only had problems with the radials, and it was the manufacturers faulty processes, now i have read alot on the forums.... and i can't find ANY other problems.... i guess everyone has there own opinion of what tires to get... i just don't like the holeshot atrs.....
Highlifter has had problems with their original outlaws that they offered in green, they have had major problems with their radial outlaw, and they also had major problems with the highlifter lite wheels. I had a set, and personally was frustrated to death with flat tires for no apparent reason, until I called highlifter and they explained that a lot of the lite wheels were 11.9" instead of 12" or some tolerance was off - which was causing the flats. Now their customer service was very good, they took them back and sent me out some new wheels - even some chrome polish for my troubles - hehe after I commented on how c-series are rumored to be so hard to keep clean [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just commenting from personal experience.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

The tires I chose clean out easily and have a nice aggressive tread pattern. and ONLY the holeshot atr rear tires are a lighter 6 ply radial. If they have a down side I haven't discovered it.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hehe follow me on a dry trail with my atr's on and you'll see the downside [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] They are great on the hotrods like the prairie, but when it comes time to upgrading my kodiak's tires, I'll probably get a more aggressive tread pattern like you have Wildkodiak. The kodiak isn't about hot rodding or high performance riding.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

I'm talking about the PXT / ACT / Wetlands I have on order

Quick Reply: Tires for my 2005 Kodiak 450......