Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Looking to buy, help decide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy, help decide!

Hey all, I am looking at buying my first ATV. It's got to be a yamaha simply because i have ridden so many and seem to like the yamaha's the most. Problem is this, Which one should I buy? Money isnt a major issue except that spending 6+ grand seems crazy, altho yamaha has some deal where you pay $39 a month for 2 years(dont know the payments after). So, I have looked at the Raptor 660, the YFZ 450 (right now thats my fav, most $$$ too) the and the Warrior. I am 5'11 and about 220lbs. The raptor 350 brand new price is nice, but it seems small? I dont know what to do, most of my friends have dirt bikes now and they are no help. I'm an ATV guy no doubt. Any Help would be great........

Old 02-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Range Rover

Depends on what kind of riding you will be doin I would guess it will be trails or dunes I like 4 stroke engines and I like the raptor and your not too small for one Iam about 5'11 185 so you could handle a 660 but test drive all of them and make your own conclusion

Old 02-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

how do you ride and what will you be doing most with the bike. I own a warrior 350 Im 6' and wiegh 200lbs. I really like the bike but I do want some more power(Ive been eying the Bombardier DS650X). I would say if cost is not a real big issue look at the 450 or 660. The 660 is a great bike that gives tons of torque and is pretty easy to ride, just be ready for the grip and its thin stance can make it feel tippy. The 450 is one hell of a bike not too big but lots of torque RPM's and everything else you could want. I would say if you ride fast and want a Yami look at those two bikes first. If cost became and issue I would have no qualms about suggesting the 350 raptor(really just a warrior with pretty plastics). Hope this helps

Aaron

Old 02-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

I'd probably go with the 450 or Raptor. I know the Raptors had some trans problems when they first came out so I'm pretty sure they already fixed that with the new Raptors. I've never ridden a 450 but I have ridden the 660's. My buddy has one and it had the trans prob. Its a great machine. Depends on if you want to race hardcore or not. If you do, go with the 450. I guess it just depends on how much money you are willing to spend. If it was me, I'd go with the 450 since its a full out race quad. You'll be happy with whatever one you get.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

the 01 raptor was the model with the issues, all the rest are pretty darn solid.

Aaron

Old 02-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

I would be doing mostly trail riding, not many dunes in mass. =(. So the raptor is more narrow and feels like it will tip more than the YFZ450? So it sounds like i should stay away from the warrior? And i have not seen them side by side but is the 660 alot bigger than the 350? Thanks for the help.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

i am a very strong beliver in the raptor because i do alot of trail riding and it has the real low bottom end punch to turn some aggresive mud tires or just loft the front wheels over a log and the raptor just seams to gain off of every modifacatoin. plus it has a very cushey ride. my best friend has a yfz450 thats a very nice machine but it seems a little trickeyer than the raptor to ride throught the woods right out off the crate and he really wishes he had the reverse but he put a good pipe and a smaller front sprocket and he realy likes it now so u cant go wrong with either one

Old 02-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

You must love it in maine with all the woods and trails you have to ride in. Another question i have is that if I buy new, will i have to put it together? I'm not to worried about some light assembly, but major stuff may be a problem. I have also heard that if you buy a new ATV of any kind, you have to locktite every single bolt or it will rattle off. Any truth to this?

Old 02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

yeah i relly enjoy my raptor. There should be no assembley needed and no u dont have to locktite every thing jsut pick it up from ur dealer and break it in right. thats how it is up here

Old 02-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

They come fully assembled. Going through the bike with a torque wrench and double checking all major mounts to manufactures specs cant hurt. I generally dont buy new, I usually look for a bike that is less than year old that someone dumped lots of money into and now has to sell for a stupid loss. I then go through the bike with the wrench. Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy, help decide!