Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No spark.. but still runs!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark.. but still runs!?

If i'm correct the stator spins when the engine cranks over creating a magnetic pulse that send current throughout the quad. Basically a power supply. I dont know how to check that personally but also look at your timing. If you had that apart and messed with it that can throw it all out of wack and possibly cause your problem. Like I said before, if your not getting spark when its trying to turn over when using the push button it shouldn;t spark any other way. The starter turns the engine over which turns the stator, same thing as if you pop start it in first so there shouldn;t be spark doing it one way and not the other. But I'm not sure. Try doing a search on testing stator....

Old 03-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Are you absolutly sure that your push button switch to start the bike isn't wore out?

Old 03-08-2005, 11:37 AM
ReQ
Trailblazer

Well im not 100% sure my start button isnt dead lol i tested it once like the manual said an it was working right... but is there anyway to take it apart an hot wire it to be 100% sure it isnt the problem? also, my e-break has been removed.. it never worked when i first got the quad so i just took it all off everything but where the break line went to the back breaks, iv heard that might be messing with the fire... but what confuses me an everyone at the atvs shops i ask about it, is the fact that it will pop start everytime with no problem an run all day long(or atleast until its out of gas lol) and sometimes after u get it running and ride it for awhile say around 10 minutes or so an get it warmed up good.. it will start with the push button?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

i wish they made a kick start for the warrior like the yfz450... hell with this electric start, i miss kicking my yz125

Old 03-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

Have you tried the pilot jet yet just to make sure? I'm tellin ya thats what a lean condition will do when trying to start a bike. It wont start easily and normally has to be pop started but once its warmed up it will start the normal way. Try turning the air screw in just to get an idea if its the lean problem or not.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:13 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

i havent checked anything on the carb yet.. only cuz im not sure how lol an i cant get anyone to do it for me, everyone says none of the jetting matters if it isnt getting any fire to the plug so i dont know what to do right now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

if you or anyone would be kind enough to give me an idea of how to check to see if its running lean ill go check it, hopefully that will fix it cuz nogthing else seems to be working... im getting tired of the guy up the street doing doughnuts in my front yard with his 300ex...

Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

Oh i have another little question... i just rememberd something weird about my moms trailboss.. it will start everytime with the push button... but if you pull the plug to ceck if its firing.. it doesnt fire even if u ground it to the motor it wont fire unless its screwed in good, dose the warrior have a similar little catch like that??? maybe it really is firing when its screwed in just running lean an hard starting as you said

Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

Dude. I'm telling you. It's your stator. If it isn't, it would shock the hell out of me.

-fox

Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

well i dont have the money to buy a new stator at the momment lol i want to be sure before i go buying stuff.. how do i test my stator?

Old 03-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Range Rover

If it is the stator coil you can get it re-wound for kinda cheap. I also sent you a PM so check that out

Old 03-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

Does this sound like what your quad is doing?????.... http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/443257.cfm

Quick Reply: No spark.. but still runs!?