Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No spark.. but still runs!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No spark.. but still runs!?

Well I am also going to jump in and confuse you some more. I do not think it is the stator. The Stator is like the alternator on a car. It provides the electrical charge to the coil(to spark your ignition) and to your lights and to charge the battery after starting your machine. If your stator was bad you would be running off your battery and eventually the battery would need to be recharged. Since you did not mention your battery dieing on you I can assume it is not supplying the energy to spark your ignition but that your stator is. This is just my theory based on my understanding of the machine as a whole. If I am way off here than somebody please speak up.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it will bump start...Then i would think the stator and cdi are good. You also said, every now and then it will start by the starter.
Im thinking the battery is marginal, or you have some corroded grounds.
If you connect a voltmeter( across the battery), and crank the starter, how far down, does the voltage go? If it goes below 10 volts, the battery is on the way out. If you dont have a voltmeter, have the battery load tested.
If you take out the plug, rehook it up to the coil wire, and hold it against the head, then crank on the starter....does the plug spark?
Clean up the ground wires, where they connect to the frame, make them shiney and tight.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

If some one can post an electrical schematic this would be easier[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Like mentioned earlier, if the warrior is like most machines it gets voltage to fire the ignition from the spinning of the rotor around the stator. This occurs when the crankshaft is making revolutions, the revolutions can come from the engine running, the engine gettin forced to turn through pull starting, or the starter motor turning the engine over. Since the engine will run the stator is doing it's job......but for some reason it will not create enough charge to fire the ignition by using the starter motor. This is as I what understand from reading the post.

What I believe you need to do is start with the batteray and start trouble shooting the starter circuit. A manual with specs will make this a lot easier. It will give you the required specs and values for each component in this circuit, and take alot of the guess work out of solving your problem.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:59 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

ok well i did some testing.. took the coil off of another bike (a kawasaki) an it still wouldnt fire... put my coil on the kawasaki.. it fired right up... so the coil is good.... and i guess the stator is good... doesnt look bad it looks fine an like everyone says it wouldnt run if the stator was bad.. i talked to someone at yamaha, he said.... for $90 he'll hook it up an tell me whats wrong.... then im sure he would be happy to fx it for me then charge me even more lol and hondabuster, no it doesnt fire when i take the plug out an ground it to the head... my warrior hates me... im really thinking about buying a pull start....

Old 03-08-2005, 08:41 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

Ok so far i guess i can rule out the stator and the CDI.. sence the bike wouldnt run at all if they were bad right? and the coil is good also, i know that for a fact now... and the battery is good for sure.. so.. im at a loss... iv been checking every wire from front to back, making sure there r NO naked or cut wires.. so far i havent found anything that looks bad.... i dont understand it at all.... it just wont fire... im gonna have to get a job an stop being a loner if i want to put the spark back into my warrior i guess lol

Old 03-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

Did you check the fuse near the battery? Also if your battery is holding a full charge and your positive about this it could be your starter itself. Maybe its getting weak and isn;t turning the crank fast enough to get a charge from the stator. I dont know about quad starters but if there anything like car starters they can get gummed up inside and cause a world of chaos. Try tapping your starter with a rubber mallet or possibly hit with a hammer gently to try and break loose any debris that could be caught in there and then try to fire it up. Keep us posted

Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

well the first thing i thought it was when i first got my quad was the starter going out.. it makes a funny sound an kinda drags at times.. sometimes it drags bad when u give it gas trying to crank it... but iv had the start pulled apart testing it an it looks brand new inside.. tried testing it with the on meter but im not sure how to test it that way.... i dont get any readings at all from the armature... i was told to test the continuity but not told how to do that lol no idea what to set the on-meter to or what readings to look for.. i got a 0 on every segment on the armature... dunno if thats good or bad

Old 03-08-2005, 10:26 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

btw i had the starter out of my quad in my living room testing it... am i suppose to leave it hooked up or what? kinda hard to test the armature with it still bolted to the quad lol

Old 03-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I had an old TS250 Suzuki way back when with a simular problem.
You could kick it till you was worn out and it wouldnt hit a lick.
Push start it and it would fire right up and run fine.
Friend had one simular, just a different year, and we started swapping parts.
It was the CDI box.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

I would think you need it hooked up to a power source so you can get the correct reading but I'm not positive. Can you test it while it is hooked up to your quad to see its readings? And you still didn;t answer me if you checked the fuse on your quad near the battery? The other thread I posted for you had the same symptoms as you so look at that thread also.

Quick Reply: No spark.. but still runs!?