Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No spark.. but still runs!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:23 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark.. but still runs!?

I have had this problem for awhile now... my 91 warrior will not start with the push button... no spark at all, but it runs fine when u push start it, been testing everything with an on-meter an nothing seems to be bad, the CDI box has a funny reading when you test it like the book says, you get a reading when you first touch the meter to th wires then it goes away, so i have a question, if the CDI box was fried, would the quad run at all even when you push start it.

it has been jump started by a truck, iv heard that will fry the CDI box... should i save up an buy a new CDI.. or just say hell with it an buy a pull start? lol

Old 03-07-2005, 09:54 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

Can someone tell me how to test my stator??

Thanks for any help, if anyone CAN help i mean

Old 03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

Ok.. if no one can help with any of that up there... maybe someone can explain this to me, what does the stator and CDI box have to do with the quad running, will a warrior run at all if the CDI is bad or if the stator is bad? my warrior runs.. it just wont crank when you use the push button start

Old 03-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a busted flux capasitor gear bearing seal [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Ok, I really dont know what is wrong with your warrior...switch CDIs and Voltage Regulators with another warrior, maybe that helps

Old 03-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

hey caliraptor whats that nology spark plug wire do for you??

Old 03-07-2005, 10:51 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

Ok i have another question lol, IS the stator suppose to be wet with oil... iv had a few people tell me yes, and a few say no, but i cant see why the stator would need to have oil on it, my stator DOES have oil on it, is this my whole problem? its had oil on it since i first got it, but its always had starting problems

Old 03-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

The Nology was a nice little addition to my mods. I put it on when I got rid of the air box so I dont know how good it works, but I can tell you that Ive never had jetting problems and it seems like Im a bit lean right now and Im at 185/190. My plugs have always looked clean and it seems like it helps when starting the engine. Some people say they do notice a gain, other say they arent worth it. I know 14mins told me that I might have to jet up one size if I was doing that mod by itself, so it must help.

I dont think the stator should have oil on it. Not sure though, Ive never taken a look at mine, but being that its something electrical I doubt that it should.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

Hey bud. It is your stator. Trust me...happened to me. I could drift start it and it would run fine, but it wouldn't fire on its own. I'm pretty sure the stator should have oil on it, because its in the side of your motor, and I'm not 100percent sure, but I'm pretty damn sure it should have oil on it. Because I remember I thought I dropped a washer into my motor when we we're replacing it, because you have to take off a gear to get to it, and we thought it dropped and slid back into the motor, and we tried looking through the oil drain to see if we could fidn it...turns out we didn't drop one, but yeah it should have oil on it.

I bought a rebuilt one off of eastcoastatv. Installing wasn't hard, just the stupid screw-heads stripped out so we had one hell of a time getting them out. I strongly suggest getting them out and then going to the hardware store and replacing them with hex head bolts. Loctite them also.

-Fox

Old 03-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

Yeah the stator should have oil on it. Kinda does sound like your stator went. Try ebay for one or www.eastcoastatv.com, I actually use to work for that guy when I was like 15 and he knows his stuff and his prices are good. He now has a huge warehouse with any part you could possibly need, biggest selection of parts i've ever came across. The only thing about the stator going, I dont know why it would be able to pop start but not start w/the push button. If it wont pass current with the push start button I dont see why it would when pop startin it. I still think its a lean condition on your pilot causing this mishap. When I bought one of my dirtbikes I could not get the thing to start for anything by kicking it but I could pop start it no problem. I changed so many things on it, such as reeds, top end, spark plugs and a few other things before I checked the jetting and after that it was solved and started 1st or 2nd kick every time, and it was all because of the stupid jetting. But look into it and good luck.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:46 AM
ReQ
Trailblazer

Ok well thanks for the help, ill do some checking on the stator tomorrow an get my airbox fixed, should fix the running lean problem but i dont think that has anything to do with the spark, also what does the stator do? and how would i test it with an on-meter / VOM

Quick Reply: No spark.. but still runs!?