Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pro's and Con's of nerf bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's and Con's of nerf bars

I put dg nerfs with the built in heelgaurds on my z and my sons before even let him ride, already saved a few snapped ankles. I know this for a fact. They also help in tight woods trails. You can rub up against trees while in a tight turns and not get the rear wheel hung up. If there are any cons they don't matter.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't own a sport quad w/o nerfs. You can get a set of ProPegs from several different manufacterers. You get much bigger footpegs and also the bennie of the bars and nets themselves. Makes for a much safer quad. The only real con would be added weight and expense, and those are minimal gripes.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Ok decided on getting nerf's but would like some with built in heel guards but it doesnt appear they make them for a warrior, anyone seen them for a warrior ?

Old 03-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

i cant answer your question but i have ac nerf bars on my banshee it was one of the first things i got for it and my stock heel guards still bolted on fine with them i would definitly get them if i were you and as far as mud go's on them yea they do get mud caked on them but who cares theres other parts that get even more caked with mud and you can always wash it off

Old 03-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

I'm on a Raptor, so I'm not sure if Ac makes the same thing for you.

Anyway, I went for the Ac Pro Pegs with heel gaurds built right into the nerf bars. They are some of the best nerfs you'll find, along with the best new footpegs you'll find, and also have nice heel gaurds so your not losing any safety at all. They were like $70 higher than the pro pegs without heel gaurds and I got mine for something like $220 at magicracing.com.

You won't be sad about the little extra cash if you get these, I can all but gaurantee it.

good luck man

Old 03-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Ya those the ones i want but not made for warrior so just ordered the AC standard nerf's thx all for posts

Old 03-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ridinsmooth
they look good too
Thats a matter of opinion...

Old 03-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I use to hate nerf bars. This past weekend i was at Earlywines indoor track in KY. and i jumped the larger table top(50ft i believe) and when i landed my foot sliped off in front of the peg. I chipped a bone and sprained my foot pretty bad. I was wearing gym shoes also. needless to say some nerfs and boots are on the way.They are still ugly but so is a swlled up foot.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

What about if you have to get off the quad and push from the side, say stuck in some mud. Do you find they get in the way? I was considering them but this is what a friend tells me.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CON- if your trail riding they just get in the way IMO.

1) When you start to tip or are sideways on steep terrain and you need to put your foot down you have to reach over them which just doesn't work.
2) If you want to back up a tad while sitting on the bike you can't put your feet down with nerfs. (Especially on a 400ex)
3) climbing rutted hills they can get hung up in the ruts and stop you
4) sticks and stumps can wedge in them.

Really I would only use them on a race only bike, JMO

DRGNERTH, hey sorry to hear about your injury, do race down there? I raced at Earlywine a month or so ago on the dirtbike.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's of nerf bars