Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pro's and Con's of nerf bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's and Con's of nerf bars

Originally posted by: motox26
CON- if your trail riding they just get in the way IMO.

1) When you start to tip or are sideways on steep terrain and you need to put your foot down you have to reach over them which just doesn't work.
2) If you want to back up a tad while sitting on the bike you can't put your feet down with nerfs. (Especially on a 400ex)
3) climbing rutted hills they can get hung up in the ruts and stop you
4) sticks and stumps can wedge in them.

Really I would only use them on a race only bike, JMO

DRGNERTH, hey sorry to hear about your injury, do race down there? I raced at Earlywine a month or so ago on the dirtbike.
1) you never put your feet out on a quad anyway unless you want your foot ripped off....
2) Stop being lazy and get your butt off and push(or use reverse if you have it)
3) Never had this problem, I'd have to see it to believe it.....They're the same width(or narrower than your quad)
4) I've had sticks come through the netting, but its no issue.

Now, I've SAVED my feet/ankles countless times by having them. Been able to slide around tight corners using the nerfs, and prevented many a T-bone situations from causing physical injury to me because of my Nerfs. I'd never ride a quad without them.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: drgnerth
I use to hate nerf bars. This past weekend i was at Earlywines indoor track in KY. and i jumped the larger table top(50ft i believe) and when i landed my foot sliped off in front of the peg. I chipped a bone and sprained my foot pretty bad. I was wearing gym shoes also. needless to say some nerfs and boots are on the way.They are still ugly but so is a swlled up foot.
Smart man. I'd NEVER ride an mx track with out riding boots.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

motox26 i don't race but want to. I think i'll try later this year, prolly in the c class cause i haven't jumped the triple down there yet. My cousin who has a 450r is gonna race when they start back up in April. He practiced with a couple guy's who raced A class this past weekend and could stay with them pretty good.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Range Rover

Take a look at Page 97 in the "ATV Sport" magazine. Show a prime example of Pro and Con of Nerf Bars. Makes me want to get heel guards!

Old 03-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

1) When you start to tip or are sideways on steep terrain and you need to put your foot down you have to reach over them which just doesn't work.
2) If you want to back up a tad while sitting on the bike you can't put your feet down with nerfs. (Especially on a 400ex)

Dont listen to MOTOX he is a HOMO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I have nerfs on all my quads and would settle for nothing less. When trail riding i use the ners to slip between trees. i never notice them loading up with mud, i have my heel gaurds still on. I have had one hell of allot of stick that would have flung up and harpooned me be blocked by them. plus if your sidehilling you can slide down and bounce off trees and not get hung up. i have not found a negative to them what so ever. Weight is over rated. I used to have 3/8" rubber belting from a conveyor bolted to my fenders. it was an additional 100+ lbs of weight but kept all the mud off me. and when they would load up with another 100 lbs of mud on the warrior i could still rip around. so 5lbs of added weight aint gonna kill the average bear.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: Flynbryan

DRGNERTH, hey sorry to hear about your injury, do race down there? I raced at Earlywine a month or so ago on the dirtbike.
1) you never put your feet out on a quad anyway unless you want your foot ripped off....
2) Stop being lazy and get your butt off and push(or use reverse if you have it)
3) Never had this problem, I'd have to see it to believe it.....They're the same width(or narrower than your quad)
4) I've had sticks come through the netting, but its no issue.

Now, I've SAVED my feet/ankles countless times by having them. Been able to slide around tight corners using the nerfs, and prevented many a T-bone situations from causing physical injury to me because of my Nerfs. I'd never ride a quad without them.
FLYANBRYAN, don't be an a$$, Im intitled to my opinion. Keep in mind I am on awckward terrain a lot.

1) if you ride hard and on challenging terrain your going to start to tip sometime or another. LMAO, I can picture you starting to roll over and just sitting there and then get stuck under the quad. HELP! (Out of about 8 guys I ride with, we all put our feet down and never broken anything in over 15 years)
2) what if your playing tag and you don't have time to get off, huh?
3) no **** they are the same width as the quad, but if your not pussyfootin around and climbing rutted hills, jagged ruts that get between your tires will bottom you out with em.
4) this one may not cause a problem with sticks, but me and my friends like riding challenging terrain, and logs, stumps, large rock etc. WILL get hung up.

One of my buddies bought them and had these problems, they got put on ebay. This doesn't mean they are a bad item or someone shouldn't get them, they just get in the way for what I personally do.

***Edited by ATV Connection Moderator***

Old 03-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Everbody keeps complaining about having to remove the heelgaurds, but alot of them let you keep the heelgaurds.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

4) this one may not cause a problem with sticks, but me and my friends like riding challenging terrain, and logs, stumps, large rock etc. WILL get hung up.

***edited by ATV Connection Moderator***
Dude your buddys obviosly cant ride if they getting stuck and blaming it on the nerf bars. you know dam well if it wasnt like a 40 hour drive for me to get out to ohio i would give ya'll some lessons [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I ride in as challenging of terrain as you wanna come across and i have never gotten stuck and said ohh dam if it wasnt for them nerf bars i wouldnt have got stuck. WTF they have kept me from gettin stuck more times than i can count (i only have two hands and two feet, thats 8 fingers 2 thumbs and 10 toes, beyond that i cant remember [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]) sounds to me like ya'll just a bunch of GirlyMen who wanna make excuses for lack of Savvy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, if you ride like grandpa, then NO, they won't get in the way, LOL, but what about when you down in a rutted out area getting completely sideways bucking around sticky situation. Do you get what type of terrain Im talking? Not something your going to find on a ATV trail.

These are places we ride where the river has washed out trees and there is crater likes holes left, in some situations the quad is actually laying on its side. It is hard to explain typing, but I mean some very technical stuff. Like where you would need a horse to get thru. It takes a while to conquer thru, but we have fun doing it. These are the type of things I am talkin about.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with you motox26 the trails down here are pretty rough. I prolly only run with nerfs when i'm going to be jumping.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's of nerf bars