Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

diesal atv's?? is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesal atv's?? is it possible???

When I said temp. I ment ambient temp. not water temp. If anything ran that hot there would be somekinda break down. My 454 runs about 170 for water temp.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

" Wana bet? Just a twist of a wastgate screw on my small block and it will happen..........and then some."

Did i say anything about a turbo? Chips, there is now chip to my knowledge for a gas that will give you that kind of power boost.
The reason diesels do not produce more hp than gas is becuase they dont turn the higher rpms. Thier are currently car companies out there getting diesels to turn 6k rpm, and good hp numbers.
Diesel fuel produces more power per (measurment) than gasoline! period!

Diesels are impractical for atvs beacuse of thier weight and they are very loud. Polaris had trouble with these machines becuase they were simply a gas converted to a diesel.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

the duramax diesel does have a aluminum block, its placed in the new chevrolets now. my buddy has one. its jap manufactured.

"Lets say that you build a 400cid diesel and I build a 400cid gas. Both are naturally asprirated. Lets see who will with the "HP" war!!! Torque will be close you might or might not win. Now, same deal with a turbo and 15 gauge psi. No contest, I will smoke you in the HP war!!!! Look at the Grand National. A little V6 that I have seen made close to 1000HP on gasoline. Try and make your 265ci diesel make that kind of HP. "

Yeah and how many rpms was that car turning? Prolly close to or atleast 10k. If you could get a diesel to turn at that no compotition. Also the diesel engine wont tollerate nitrous. Only minute shots can be given, mostly to bring the engine up to temp. so comparing a nitro car and a diesel isnt fair either.

Coolant temps differ for each vehicle, and diesels do produce more heat than gas.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Range Rover

THE ONLY FOURHWHEELER THAT SHOULD HAVE DIESILS IS THE JOHN DEER B/C THAT IS NOTHING BUT A WORK FOURWHEELER I MEAN LOOK AT IT NO GROUND CLEARNCE GOOD SIZE REAR END LOW GEARED STICKLY A WORK FOURHWEELER SO ONLY FOURWHEELER THAT NEEDS A DIELS IS JOHN DEER!

Old 04-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I refuse to believe that that Grand National was running "gasoline". Gasoline is not capable of producing those kinds of HP numbers, it would be pinging like a SOB. That GN was running alcohol.
With modern intercoolers it's common.
Here is a little STREET GN that is putting out more than 650HP. Wimpy little GN Keep in mind that this is a stage I and NOT a race engine. Your big bad D-max is almost twice it's size and running almost the same amount of boost. How much HP does it make? 310? WOW!!!!
No, but it does make it more efficient.
We are not talking efficiency here, we are talking HP. Diesels will always be more efficient than gas engines because of the higher BTU's of the fuel.
Did i say anything about a turbo? Chips, there is now chip to my knowledge for a gas that will give you that kind of power boost.
Just what do you think those chips do; kick the squirrel in the butt to get him to run faster? They do three important things: jack the boost pressure up; give it more fuel; and play with the timing. There are no common US made gas V8's with turbo's on them. (I think Ford is working on one though?) So there is no chip that can jack the boost to make the big numbers.
the duramax diesel does have a aluminum block, its placed in the new chevrolets now. my buddy has one. its jap manufactured.
YOUR WRONG. THE D -max block is cast iron.
Proof of your ignorance
Yeah and how many rpms was that car turning? Prolly close to or atleast 10k. If you could get a diesel to turn at that no compotition.
HELLO!!!!!!!! POINT IS YOU CAN'T.
Also the diesel engine wont tollerate nitrous. Only minute shots can be given, mostly to bring the engine up to temp. so comparing a nitro car and a diesel isnt fair either
Again, your misinformed. Ron Hammel was injecting N2O into diesels longer than you have been alive. Nitrous can be injected into diesels much longer than any spark type engine. It's used mostly as a chemical intercooler in diesels.

Since I've been on this board I have never seen someone as lost and misinformed as you. Your out of you league and have no idea what you are talking about. At least in the gearing thread the dude was only mixed-up about one thing!!!
And so people won't be confused, I'm not dissing diesels, I love them. I own one and love it so much I'm going to buy another. Non turbo ones just plain suck and they are slugs. The Polaris that everyone is talking about is a super slug from what I was told!!! Maybe if they put a hairdryer on it would be a good field rig but that's about it!!!

Thanks Wistech. I never knew about the diesel in the 500. By the way, in 1931 it was the slowest car to qualify out of the field. The car I want was in 1967!!!! I think you know what I'm talking about!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Damn rule changes!!! BTW it's being restored as we speak.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer

Just wondering but I noticed that the link takes you to GM's medium duty trucks such as the topkick and the 4500 - 5500 series. I had heard that these larger trucks use the 6.6 duramax with cast iron heads where the average joe 3500 and 2500 series use aluminum heads? Now I am probably wrong but that could be why somepeople think they have an aluminum block. Correct?

Also doesn't propane do something to diesel engines? like N2O does?

Old 04-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2bulls78
Just wondering but I noticed that the link takes you to GM's medium duty trucks such as the topkick and the 4500 - 5500 series. I had heard that these larger trucks use the 6.6 duramax with cast iron heads where the average joe 3500 and 2500 series use aluminum heads? Now I am probably wrong but that could be why somepeople think they have an aluminum block. Correct?

Also doesn't propane do something to diesel engines? like N2O does?
I believe you are correct about the aluminum heads on the HD2500's .. I'm pretty sure that's what's in our trucks .. could be wrong. With the propane injection systems they are apparently getting HUGE #'s on the diesels.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

just curious, have you had any problems with your polaris, every one I know that has one has had axles break, starters fry, brake problems , and the last guy i met just spent a fortune on a new 500 sportsman and the second time he rode it all the bearings went completely out of the rear end?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

oopps, that message was meant to be on two pages ago, the guy with the last reply on the first page.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2005, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

I'm the one who originally wrote that my d-max had an aluminum block. I was wrong. I DID confuse the block with the heads, my bad. I corrected it on my previous post. Sorry to bump this up again but I wanted to correct myself even though Doctorturbo already kinda did that for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Here's what I DO know for sure. My diesel truck pulls my trailer really good-way better than my half ton with a 350 gasser did. Unloaded the half ton would have beat the 2500HD in a drag race though. There are a lot of factors to consider there though. Weight, displacement, turbo,etc. People can argue all day about which engine produces more power but for me (who doesn't want to spend a million bucks modifying my stuff and voiding warranties) the diesel was the way to go. And I still think diesels would suck in a quad. To me quads are about fun. Even the utility machines. Even the heaviest atv's weigh less than 1000 pounds right? How much can you possibly pull off road, up and down hills without losing traction? There's no need for more torque in a quad!

Quick Reply: diesal atv's?? is it possible???