Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

*HELP, 350cc motor (Wolverine & Warrior)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *HELP, 350cc motor (Wolverine & Warrior)

I dont know if it can bend a valve but I know its definatly not great for your motor to rev the crap out of it when it isnt in gear. The motor is designed to rev that high when under the stress of moving the quad. you can definatly overrev your bike when there isnt any force its pushing against.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CTATV
I dont know if it can bend a valve but I know its definatly not great for your motor to rev the crap out of it when it isnt in gear. The motor is designed to rev that high when under the stress of moving the quad. you can definatly overrev your bike when there isnt any force its pushing against.
Yah, thats possibly what I did, I had a flat rear tire so I counlt drive it hard. I guess well soon find out.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 95wolv
First let's get back to the symptoms you described : revved up, black smoke, let off gas, backfired,now runs badly, ticking noise. I fully agree with everyone else, sounds like carbon fouling, the plug shows that, now for the rest, it may be possible a small hard carbon chunk got caught under the exhaust valve, not letting it close all the way, so now you have clearance in your rocker arm, so now it ticks while idling. First, I would pull and clean out the carb, getting all the passages cleaned out, then take the fuel line from the tank, and drain out all that nasty old fuel into a bucket. Fill the tank with fresh clean gas, and put about a half can of Sea Foam in with it. Start it up and let it run, blip the throttle occasionally, hopefully the Sea Foam will loosen up the carbon in the cylinder, and maybe clear out the valves, you may need to go for a ride to really warm it up. If it still ticks bad, like azdunerat said, you'll have to pull the tank and check your valves, the lock nut may have worked loose, and it will only get worse if you don't check it out !!!
I bought the Sea Foam today, would you recomend that i run it with 100% pure sea foam or a 50/50 mix, what will work best?

Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

pure sea foAM FOR BEST RESULTS BUT I THINK YOU VALVE IS BENT I DONT THINK IT IS THE CARB HAS TO BE BENT VAVLE OR YOU PROBALYWOULD HEAR A BANG! OK I THINK YOU NEED TO CHECK YOU VAVLE BEFORE WASTINGFOAM

Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

I would run the engine and use a short piece of garden hose,put it up to your ear and see if you can tell where the tapping is coming from. Put the other end of the hose on the top,bottom and side of the engine cases and listen for the loudest tapping. That should at least tell you where it is coming from.Side-piston. Bottom it's the tranny or crank. Top maybe valves.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Well i changed the plug, ran Sea foam and still the same noise. I think i have no other choise than to go to the dealer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AZDUNERAT
The ticking sounds like your valve screw has come off, common on these motors. You need to dissaseble the bike some(take off the fuel tank) and open the valve cover and there should be a screw on each one of the valve adjesters. That is what happened to my wifes cousins bike, only his screw worked its way into the case(crappy). I would try that. As for the screw when was the last time you cleaned your air filter. You could be chocking the air flow causing the rich conditionAaron
Aaron,

Wanted to thank you, out of all the posts your was the right one. Valve screw has come off!

Thanks
Darren

P.S. Thanks to all the other also, just thought everyone should know what the final outcome was!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the true problem, I've been scratching my head over this one for a while, now if someone else has this problem, they can look this up for some good tips.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Now I need to fix the carbon problem!