Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

1) A 2-stroke CAN be geared/piped to be a great trail quad. The Blaster is an EXCELLENT example of how a 2-stroke could be a great trail quad. What about the Polaris 2-strokes?? LT 80's??? There are more.....

2) A 2-stroke CAN be held wide open for SEVERAL seconds. You just have to make sure it is jetted properly. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Do you think 2-stroke drag racers don't keep the throttle pinned the entire way???? If they didn't, then they'd lose every race.

Same thing with hillshooters. Sand mountain is a LONG way to the top!
So is Choke cherry and Devils dune! I have had my 250R pegged for a heck of a lot longer than 5-10 seconds when going up these.

The reason 2-stroke engines blow is not that they were held wide open for more than 5-10 seconds. Its because the components were worn out, or the carburator was not jetted properly (too lean).

Old 04-14-2005, 08:20 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

I know that generally 2 strokes are not known for their torque, but it is not true. Most trials bikes have 2 stroke engines. And my CR500R with its custom made 28 0z flywheel weight makes more torque than any thumper I have ever rode. My sons wr 250 pulls right from idle, not as hard as the 500. But definitely no slouch. By contrast the new generation thumpers are high revving. I believe the new crf250 is the highest revving engine honda has ever put in a m/c. I am a little puzzled by the comments that a 2 stroke engine cant be held at WOT for more than a few seconds. Better tell that to team kawasaki who absolutely dominated baja until Danny Hamel was killed racing it about 10 years ago. Kawasaki then dropped out of racing in baja. I would bet he had his KX500 wide open for more than a few seconds at a time.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

It's all in the clutch. A 2-stroke can be used in trails with no problems you just need to work the clutch alittle more then normal.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Shav0 is right i use my pretty much stock banshee on trails alot i just have to work the clutch alittle more but i still think my banshee is good for trails

Old 04-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Shav0
It's all in the clutch. A 2-stroke can be used in trails with no problems you just need to work the clutch alittle more then normal.
This is what i was waiting to hear. just a little clutch work. two strokes arent as user friendly or should i say learner friendly because there is a alot more than just lugging it through a corner like i can on my raptor. clutchwork is the key. feel it boggin a bit and feather that clutch youll be right back to screaming. there is a lot more shifting involved, like i said, on a two stroke youll see second gear in the same turn of the trail i just lugged through in third . just a ridding style ajustment. blasters are better suited for trail ridng because of the way the motor and gearing are setup, for trails and learning. one of the first fourwheelers i rode on the trails was a blaster, and i had no problem, but i had also been riding threewheelers and dirtbikes my whole life.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2fun, MWQ, and shavo's posts are the ones you want to listen too.

A blaster is a great beginner quad, you can putt around on it. But for the rest of the 2-smokes, if you can't ride em, stay off em![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]