Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

TO SHIFT OR NOT TO SHIFT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TO SHIFT OR NOT TO SHIFT?

hello im looking at picking up a third yami and cant decide which way to go automatic or clutch i have one of each now, being new to riding just started this spring bought a 05 bruin 2x4 thats auto and a 92 twolf that you shift, the family likes the automatic alot better, but this one i buy is going to be for me and am going with a 4x4 most likely used 03 or so, anyway i never had these two in any deep mud or snow and what i was wondering is which do you guys prefer the automatics or the clutch and also how the two are as far has needing maintenance down the road, am looking at a kodiak or bigbear. thanks

Old 05-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

I prefer a clutch which may need a little more maintaince throughout the long haul (burned out clutchs etc.) anyways In my opinion if I were to have a Utility I would get an Automatic

Old 05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Martino
I prefer a clutch which may need a little more maintaince throughout the long haul (burned out clutchs etc.) anyways In my opinion if I were to have a Utility I would get an Automatic

I see what your thinking on the clutch maint, but the cvt type trans that is used on most of the autos will need maint as well due to the belt drive.

I prefer a clutch and manual trans as well, but it seems the manufaturers think that they can sell more units by making their atv's as simple to ride as possible for new inexperienced riders and therfore most all of the 4x4 units are auto, and that doesnt leave much of a choice when comparing the higher end 4x4 utils.

On a side note I also believe that this is why we are seeing injuries increase for riders of utilities and may have even surpassed those of other types of atv's (sport, mini's etc) in this part of the market targeted towards new riders.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with an auto in a 4x4 utility.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have one of each, and there are times i can see the advantage of each.
You hit on one of them..they are super easy to drive, and always in the proper powerband. Someday your kids will graduate to a bigger quad, and itll be familiar for them to ride. I used to be concerned about the tranny being run by a rubber band...but not anymore, id go anywhere on my kodiak and that would be one of the furthest things on my mind.
It nice when stuck in water..if youre somewhat dry, on a cold day, to not have to drip your foot in the water to get to reverse, or nuetral. Advantage autos.
Climbing steep hills, sometimes a downshift is needed part way up, especially if you need to slow and avoid something, and then be able to hit it and keep climbing after the obsticle. A manual will do this, but it takes much more skill and practice than an auto takes. Plus when you shift .....the power is off, but the auto will shift and still pulls even when 'shifting'.
Another advantage is being able to hold whatever speed you want and be in the powerband. Like pulling a heavy trailer...either the manuals first gear is so low, it takes forever, or if you go to second or third, you must hold a pretty narrow speed range , to hit the horsepower curve, to allow towing. Autos can go any speed, and still be in the horsepower curve and with no driver skill at all.
But then theres nothing like the locked in , no slip power of a manual tranny...

Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

I have a grizz and a big bear// the grizz is fast and fun, but i prefer to shift. I plow with both quads and like using the big bear more/ they are both good in the mud and snow, but the big bear has a super low first gear that can crawl through almost anything (im not saying the grizz wont) and i think shifting is more fun// the bigbear is semiautomatic,(automatic clutch)

Old 05-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

If you want the bike for hard mudding, go with the auto, i' ve owned both and I feel the constint pull of the auto is alot better to get you through

Old 05-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

the reason they dont make fully manual utility atvs is because theres times in rough conditions that fondling a clutch makes things much harder. Like if your stuck in the mud and your rocking or whatever with a semi-auto (like your timberwolf and my wolverine) or a fully auto you can idle in gear without holding in a clutch so you can get off and push or do whatever without being on the clutch and the gas.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CTATV
the reason they dont make fully manual utility atvs is because theres times in rough conditions that fondling a clutch makes things much harder. Like if your stuck in the mud and your rocking or whatever with a semi-auto (like your timberwolf and my wolverine) or a fully auto you can idle in gear without holding in a clutch so you can get off and push or do whatever without being on the clutch and the gas.
Intersting point, and it had me thinking about a few times I had left my old warrior (2x4) in reverse with the idle turned up to help push or pull it out of a hole etc. I guess everything has its good and bad points, and they change with the various needs of the owner etc.

I have never owned a 4x4 but I have rode some of the newer larger ones (griz, prarie etc) and I think I am in the minority of sport quad owners as I have enjoyed riding them. I do find the way the cvt works to be unusual and it takes a little getting used to not shifting or how it just seems to accelerate without any changes like a normal trans has, but I can see where this would be a good thing too.

One thing I have noticed that is normal with all atv's is that these things need some suspension work if your going to ride them really hard, and also that the center of gravity seems way high. The only one I have rode that I thought was more similar to a sport type quad was the wolverine, and I know its just a 4x4 version of the warrior but it also was more similar to it than I expected.

The Prarie seems to also be better in the CG issue and also has awsome power and acceleration for such a large machine, but from what I hear from the hardcore 4x4 guys the same solid rear that helps it handle hurts it in the gooey stuff.

I liked the big bear when I tried it, but almost forgot what it was after riding the grizz the same day.

I guess my point is that your really going to have to get a ride on a couple of them to see what you think fits you best, and since there is so many models that seem to be popular your going to have your hands full getting that done.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

how right you are, its been bugging me that i cant decide, to bad a man cant have one of each!