Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A couple Newbie Term Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple Newbie Term Questions

Ok, Im pretty new to the whole 4-wheeler thing and the guy across the street has a 2-stroke Blaster and i got a 4-stroke Warrior. So I might as well get these questions out of the way.

1: What is Jetting an Engine?
2: Around my exhaust tip there is a little white dust/powder after it runs, and I remember seeing something about it on here but I cant remember what it meant/what to do.
3: I just bought and it used to be in Virginia, Should I rejet it? Anything else I should do? I live in Illinois.
4: The outside of the carb is pretty grimey, Should I take it off and clean it up with some carb cleaner?
5: Anything else I should do to check it out? I have to buy new front wheel bearings cause the ones on it are pretty worn. I greased it all up, Changed the gas and the oil. Anything else I should do?

Thanks for everything and sorry for all the newbie questions but I am pretty newbie to all this stuff. Thanks for everything.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Can anybody help? or atleast comment?

Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

if u are at a different alltitude then were u had it then u probably need to rejet it i dont know about the white stuff on the exhaust i would clean the carb. change the spark plug and the oil

in your ghallery the picture befor clean up 4 something is really bent. it might be your frame because your whole bike is sitting lop sidded

Old 07-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

What is "Rejetting" it? How would I do it and I dont know about anything being bent, My Driveway is a little curved but I might put it in the garage and take another picture sicne everything is bolted together now.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Range Rover

Rejetting means changing the jets in the carb. The bottom portion of the carb is called the "bowl." It is held on by four screws. If you take this off you will see the floats, and there will be a brass cylinder looking thing with a hole in the middle, that is your jet. It will most likely have a 3 digit number on it. I am not too familiar with Warriors, but to remove the jet you will either need a screw driver or a small wrench, about 8mm. The jet allows gas to flow into your motor. The bigger the jet, the more gas. There are many Warrior owners on here that can probably better explain/help you than I can. But that is the basic rundown. There is more involved then what I said, but hopefully that will give you a general idea of what the jet is/does. When someone says they are "jetting" their bike, it simply means they are changing the jet size. Hope that helps.

-Brandon

Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

Are the Jets expensive? Bout how much would one cost and how would I see if I had to change mine?

Old 07-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

Jets aren't too bad, maybe a couple bucks a piece. On four-strokes its a little harder to tell if you are rich or lean. If your bike seems to run hot or accelerates good up to a point and then just falls flat on its face, you are lean and need a bigger jet. If you are blowing smoke out of the exhaust when you rev it, you are rich and need to drop down a size or two on the jet. However, when the choke is on when you start your bike, and you rev it, it may blow out some smoke. This is normal because the choke richens the air/fuel mixture. If it blows smoke after it is warm and the choke is off, then you might consider changing the jets.

-Brandon

Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

LoL, Cant start it with choke on. :-/ I dont know what the deal with that is, I mean it turns over and then it kills it. I dont know... There are like 4 stages for the choke, All the way in, it runs, one click out, wont start, then there are two after that, havent tried them. Dont know what they are for either. Dont think Im gunna mess with Jetting it. There is a turn screw on the bottom of the carb, should I mess with that to try and get it to run better? I get the parts tomorrow so I can run it cause My clutch handle isnt attached right now. (had another question but forgot it) Thats all I can think of now. Whats the best Manual to get for it? I heard the Clymer ones were pretty good... but I dont know. Any opinions or reasons on which to get? Thanks for everything again.

Also, About how much would it cost to send it to a local shop to get it jetted? Any Estimates?