Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I WAS EXCITED ABOUT NEW 700..... but

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I WAS EXCITED ABOUT NEW 700..... but

No the motor is totally different. It has a different head 4 valves instead of 5. Trans is completely different, new gear ratios

Old 07-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]
Originally posted by: YFZ660R
Originally posted by: AnimalMother85
But why SOHC, WHY?!?!

Exactly what I was asking myself!!! If they wanted to improve the Raptor, they should off ditch SOHC and go to DOHC. Now that would catch my attention, I could just imagine a 686 with double over head cams with fuel injection!
there is nothing wrong with SOHC ..... its the same as the UNICAM design of the 450R ..... less moving parts and only 1 camshaft to buy when planning to mod. if you look at the history of atv's, the kawasaki mojave 250 came out in 1988 with DOHC, and this was supposedly pretty advanced back then(even for cars) till the late nineties yet it does not seem to perform any better than say the 300EX. A lot of the old pushrod OHV V8 domestic car motors produce more horsepower than their newer japanese DOHC counterparts.

now a good question is why did they use the 4 valve instead of their own proprietary patented 5 valve design.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

actually, the 660 is 100mm bore X 84mm stroke, and the new 686 is 102mm bore X 84mm stroke. So, TECHNICALLY it is a 660 bored out to 686. The compression ratio is the same also, 9.2 to 1. The engine is the same, maybe some valve train changes, the tranny is the same, 5speed manual clutch with reverse, the only major changes are the 44mm throttle body opposed to the 33mm carburetor on the 660. Take a look at yamaha's web site, you'll see what i'm talking about.
Finally somebody else who has looked at the stats. EFI wats the big deal how does that completely change an engine? You can do the exact same thing with a car, take off the carb and replace with EFI. Not that hard to do but somebody sat around for 3 years and finally thought "hey we could make more money by replacing the carbs, we'd also be the first, i betcha that would get us more sales". I guarantee you if u took apart the engines other than the valves(and efi) they would be almost identical. And to those of you hoo are whining about the 5 valve to 4 valve change, if susposidley people call it the "craptor" then y would they use the same 5 valve "crap"? You exchange the carbs and its like o big whoop but then if u take away a valve and carbs ooooooo now its a big thing and people flip out about it(get a degree in Marketing and Finance you'll know wat i'm talking about) The EFI really is nothing to get excited about, just words that make something sound cool because its got to do with computers, also it makes yamaha more money.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Range Rover
Old 07-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

For those of you who don't think EFI is big-listen up. A co-worker of mine had a 600cc two-cylinder Ski-Do with daul carbs. It got 8 mpg. Now he has one with EFI (Ski-Doo calls it Semi Direct Injection or SDI). Now he gets 18+ mpg and it has more power then his old 600 with carbs. With gas at $2.50 and beyond, what would you rather run? True, a sled is a great place for EFI since two-cylces are so wasteful anyway.

Just think, no more re-jetting TWO carbs for pipes and filters. No need to re-jet for climate and elevation changes. Better fuel mileage. All sounds good to me.

Is EFI tuneable? It should be. The term "chips" has already been mentioned. I'm sure aftermarket companies will crank out some cool stuff for this rig. Just look at how a good tunable chip can turn a modern diesel truck into a tire buring monster.

We all feel different about change. The Raptor was a good quad, but needed help. Now it's wider, longer, lower, and should be faster. Thank you Yamaha.

'03 Raptor
HMF\Pro Design\K&N
Razrs
PRM Products

Old 07-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

I went down to yamaha yesterday and sat on this new raptor and I have to say it felt right, our dealership refuses to let people take a test ride though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]I really like that they got rid of that tacky ignition block off the handlebars but I am a little disappointed that they still have that reverse switch on the fender. I would have to be crazy to get rid of my 05 for it but it does look interesting I'll wait and see maybe in a couple years ......