Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ

Hello!

I'm new to the sport but used to race motocross and hobby stock cars in my younger years. I'm 49 and weigh 140. I raced my friends stock YFZ 450 up comp hill at the dunes in Dumont CA and the bug bit me BIG TIME. After looking at all the bikes I've narrowed it down to the Raptor 700r and YFZ 450. There has been considerable changes in both of the 06 models but I'm still undecided. I don’t like the YFZ because it seems a bit more squirrelly but it does weigh 44 pounds less. I'm interested in doing some trail riding but mostly want to race the dunes. Has anyone read all the reviews of these machines such as I have and/or have experience riding them.

Please tell me your opinion and the pros and cons of each bike for the purpose I want it for

Thanks a million in advance for all your input!

Steven

Old 10-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

ive never heard of the yfz450 being squirrly, i would go with the yfz personally, both are going to be great bikes.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Range Rover

I rode a budies mostly stocl YFZ and loved it. I couldent balive the power compared to my DS. I would love a YFZ but I love trail riding more so than all other riding types to i am going wiht the new Raptor. I want reverse and feel that the Raptor will hold up better on the trails. If I where out playing in the sand i would probobly go with the YFZ because its liter and has simaler power, but the nearest sand doons to play in around here are a few states away.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thank so much for all your replies. What I meant by squirrelly was it seems to be short on the width and I know 4 people who have broke their collar bone. I've even boon told by dealers that I should spend additional money to widen the stance of the YFZ. And yes I do want to do some trail riding and reverse is a nice feature. I sent 27 miles last weekend on a Suzuki MV and SO glad I had reverse.

Thanks again for al the input!!!

Old 10-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seat height and width are the same on both.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

A month ago i was considering buying one or the other. They cost the same amount of $$$. I sat on the 450 and felt uncomfortable, as i had to hunch\bend over to get to the handlebars. I sat on the 700 and it was perfect....caddilac style.

I bought the 700 and like it. The suspension is top notch. Ive taken it to Ocotillo and Glamis, and have not needed to adjust the suspension. The front suspension is the same as the 450 for reference. With EFI there is no problem starting cold or hot, idle is perfect. I play with the reverse more than use it. The 450 not havin reverse was not as major a consideration for me as being uncomfortable sitting on it. Too small a bike for me at 5'11".

I have the Trinity exhaust and EFI controller on order, will report back when i have results.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Glamis700
A month ago i was considering buying one or the other. They cost the same amount of $$$. I sat on the 450 and felt uncomfortable, as i had to hunch\bend over to get to the handlebars. I sat on the 700 and it was perfect....caddilac style.

I bought the 700 and like it. The suspension is top notch. Ive taken it to Ocotillo and Glamis, and have not needed to adjust the suspension. The front suspension is the same as the 450 for reference. With EFI there is no problem starting cold or hot, idle is perfect. I play with the reverse more than use it. The 450 not havin reverse was not as major a consideration for me as being uncomfortable sitting on it. Too small a bike for me at 5'11".

I have the Trinity exhaust and EFI controller on order, will report back when i have results.
how bout me? I am 5'9 3/4' and 190lbs (all muscle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

Old 10-23-2005, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

My advice is to find a friend with one of the bikes and ride it, or offer someone that you come across a beer, and maybe they will let you ride.

If that doesnt work, go to the dealership and sit on them to get a feel for em. Check out all the controls and see if they seem familiar, to far away, to close, or just right.

Honestly, if i would have known that the 700 was gonna be such a hassle with mods, id have bought a new Banshee instead. I only ride sand dunes though.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:08 AM
Trailblazer

Glamis700 and others!

Thanks for the great insight.

I have ridden the YFZ and sat on the raptor and also liked the raptor. I'm 5'10 and the YFZ just seems small even though it’s not that much smaller than the raptor. I too like the fuel injection and reverse. I also spoke to Yamaha about there add ons like their header pipe, can and heavy duty clutch. What I like about original parts is there are put through R&D and made specifically for the bike. However, I'm wondering about the K&N filter verses the Yamaha easy breathe filter. I have always used K&N and wondering if anyone has any comments on the two different filters. Which one will give me more air flow?

Why did you pick the Trinity EFI instead of some other brand and what does the EFI do for you? I have noticed some EFI are adjustable and wondering if it’s worth the extra money. Money is not an object here and I like the best of the best and don’t do anything half way!

You have all been super with your comments and looking forward to more comments and meeting some of you in the future

Steven

Old 10-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Originally posted by: rawfast I'm wondering about the K&N filter verses the Yamaha easy breathe filter. I have always used K&N and wondering if anyone has any comments on the two different filters. Which one will give me more air flow?
Why did you pick the Trinity EFI instead of some other brand and what does the EFI do for you? I have noticed some EFI are adjustable and wondering if it’s worth the extra money.
I've heard the GYTR gauze filter is made by K&N, the only difference between the two is the GYTR is flat on top. As far as the controllers go, PCIII does everything the others do and more. They all do the same thing, one is not really better than the other from what I've read, they all add fuel in the different ranges, low, mid and high. One controller won't give you more hp or rev you higher, just deliveres more fuel where you want it. I personally like the PCIII and will be recieving it in the next couple of weeks. You can make more accurate adjustments on fuel delivery with keystrokes via percentages on a laptop or just make manual adjustments with the external dials on the unit itself.

Quick Reply: 06 Raptor vs. 06 YFZ