Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist v. thumb throttle

I hate twist throttles!

Old 10-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LRDracing5
hey we all ride here i was just making and opinion, i just dont see how a thumb throttle can hurt your thumb after 10min, i can ride all day and be fine.
All day?

Just kidding Buddy, Buddy, Bud, Bud. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Love the vid. Reminds me of my first day I tried a twist on a quad.LOL My current quads have a super easy thumb throttle so the days of thumb cramps are long gone. Its no longer an issue.

Thumb or twist - it all depends on the rider and the machine. Try them both and decide for yourself.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

I guess grammar is not taught in Ohio.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

I run the Motion Pro twist throttle on an '02 Raptor and absolutely love it (nowadays - I ride exclusively in the dunes - usually Glamis). The main reason I switched is because I have small hands - with a thumb throttle (no matter where I positioned it) I felt like I didn't have control of the right hand grip especially when going over the rough stuff in the sand or whoops. With a twist throttle - I have better control. I avoid the pitfalls of the twist throttle by not maintaining the vulcan death grip on the throttle and by using my knees to maintain position on the quad when going up steep dunes. I also installed a Pep Steering Dampener ($139) which helps tremendously on days when the sand is really chopped up.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GregP
I run the Motion Pro twist throttle on an '02 Raptor and absolutely love it (nowadays - I ride exclusively in the dunes - usually Glamis). The main reason I switched is because I have small hands - with a thumb throttle (no matter where I positioned it) I felt like I didn't have control of the right hand grip especially when going over the rough stuff in the sand or whoops. With a twist throttle - I have better control. I avoid the pitfalls of the twist throttle by not maintaining the vulcan death grip on the throttle and by using my knees to maintain position on the quad when going up steep dunes. I also installed a Pep Steering Dampener ($139) which helps tremendously on days when the sand is really chopped up.
I have small hands compared to most other people and still have no hard time gripping and using the thumb. How small is your hand?

Old 10-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

I know what you're talking about, when I rode my raptor with a thumb throttle, I felt like I didn't have a good grip on the right side because my thumb wasn't wrapped around like I was used to. I don't think it's so much the size of your hands, but what feels right to you.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

From the heel of my palm to the tip of my index finger is just a hair over 6 inches - if you really want to know. I think Boosh71 - hit it on the nail - its what feels comfortable to you that matters. Granted - I'm not a pro racer - on an mx track but at Glamis a typical ride for me is 2+ hours - over a wide variety of terrain. When I'm gripping the bars I typically will have the tip of my thumb and fore finger touching - I try to keep as loose a grip of the bars as possible and let the bike's suspension absorb as much as possible. On days where the dunes are chopped up - I try to sit back on the bike - stay on the gas and keep the front up as much as possible over the ruts. I grew up riding motorcycles with twist throttles so maybe its just what I'm used to - I just feel more comfortable with my thumb around the grip.

My wife has only been riding for a couple of years (I bought her a Raptor 660R for a wedding gift) and last season she was always complaining about how much her thumb hurt - so in between trips I switched out her thumb throttle with a twist throttle (without telling her) - anyway - on the next trip - the first couple of rides she was rather pissed off at me but by the end of the trip she was digging the twist throttle and I haven't heard a complaint since.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GregP
From the heel of my palm to the tip of my index finger is just a hair over 6 inches - if you really want to know. I think Boosh71 - hit it on the nail - its what feels comfortable to you that matters. Granted - I'm not a pro racer - on an mx track but at Glamis a typical ride for me is 2+ hours - over a wide variety of terrain. When I'm gripping the bars I typically will have the tip of my thumb and fore finger touching - I try to keep as loose a grip of the bars as possible and let the bike's suspension absorb as much as possible. On days where the dunes are chopped up - I try to sit back on the bike - stay on the gas and keep the front up as much as possible over the ruts. I grew up riding motorcycles with twist throttles so maybe its just what I'm used to - I just feel more comfortable with my thumb around the grip.

My wife has only been riding for a couple of years (I bought her a Raptor 660R for a wedding gift) and last season she was always complaining about how much her thumb hurt - so in between trips I switched out her thumb throttle with a twist throttle (without telling her) - anyway - on the next trip - the first couple of rides she was rather pissed off at me but by the end of the trip she was digging the twist throttle and I haven't heard a complaint since.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Trailblazer

That looks like it definitely left a mark! The Vulcan Death Grip will get you everytime.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]