Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bore kit and clutch springs on Wolverine.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Bore kit and clutch springs on Wolverine.

Go on ebay and look for a Kodiak or Big Bear oil cooler, the same width as a Wolverine cooler, but is a 5 or 8 pass cooler, instead of the Wolverine's 3 pass, a big improvement. The oil line fittings bolt right up, you will just have to make some mounting brackets to work with the taller cooler. I run a Web 88 grind cam with a .040 over Wiseco 10.25 piston, very nice power for a little money, and turns the 25" tires like the little 23" stockers.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I think I finally got it narrowed down. I am going to hold off on the cooler, at least for now, if it runs way to warm I'll have to get a bigger oil cooler. Plus, there are no big bear or kodiak oil coolers on ebay right now, but I will keep my eyes peeled. I like the piston/cam kit from highlifter. Here is the website on page 8 & 9. It comes with the web cam 88 grind which seems to be a good cam for those who are looking for a low end gain. I would get the .040 piston. The bore and this kit seem like they would compliment each other quite well. Would I have to rejet when I do this? I wouldn't think so, but just want to make sure.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When increasing the bore of a cylinder, and using a different cam with more lift or duration, you increase the volume of air a cylinder can take in, so you will have to jet to keep the air/fuel ratio in proper mixture. I ended up a couple of sizes up on the main, but every motor is different,I also had a mild port job done, so that and if you run a pipe/filter will make a difference.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

95wolv - Thanks, that is exactly why I asked, because logically if you have more air, then you need more gas. I've been working on cars since I was 16, and the principles are the same with cars and ATVs, I just drew blank. The only reason I said I figured you wouldn't have to is because I've never seen anyone mention what they rejeted it to after the bore, piston, and cam. I went a couple higher when I did the filter and pipe. I went from a 142.5(stock) to a 147.5. After the kit, maybe a 150 main. Also, I meant to ask you earlier, but can you pull the front wheels in 1st or 2nd in yours?

Old 11-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you compare the specs on the 88Webcam and the Hotcam, they are virtually the same. My reason for choosing the Hotcam is that it is a new billet, whereas the Web is a hardweld on a core. After seeing a some instances of a few guys have the Webcams break on them on other forums, I decided that the new billet was for me. If you need a good core for your Webcam, I have couple I need to clear out.

I have a Big Bear cooler that I would sell fairly cheap, should anyone need one.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

Lotus, that is interesting, I might do that. You're talking about the stage 1 right? The reason I was going to go with the webcam is because I figured it would be cheaper as a package. I can get that package for $369 from highlifter. Now that I think about it though, I guess I could get the powroll big bore kit including piston and buy the hotcam off of ebay for about the same price. Hmmm.....too many options, ha, but I do want to do it right the first time. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Scratch that idea too, I can get the wiseco piston and hotcam on ebay. I suppose I will also get the top end gasket set on ebay as well. This MIGHT be a cheaper project that I intended (famous last words [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Old 12-06-2022, 03:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor top end swap

Originally Posted by DriverDoyle
The cams should not make the motor run any hotter its when you go with higher compression and the big bore when things start heating up. if you do alot of trailriding i would go with the big bore and a 9.1 compression that way you can run pump gas and eveything will stay cool enough to putt around and have power when needed. like with the 12.1 i have. i have to go to airport or yamaha shop and get 5 gallons of 111 octan then get 5 gallons of 93 octan then mix 2.5 gallons of 111 with 2.5 gallons of 93 to make 101 which runs really well in mine. and if you do go with all the big mods invest in a raptor cooling fan and mount it on your fram to were the air blows on the head all the time. it helps a bunch
Any gains from swapping raptor 350 top end and possibly crank into a 98 wolverine?