Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Problems

I have a been havin some problems with the warrior recently and the latest is that the it wont start when u press the button. I have such a love for quads that i found a way tyo start it by taking a thick wire from the positive side of the battery to the side of the starter relay, bypassing it. on contact this cranks the starter and starts it like it is a button. i replaced the starter relay, the clutch switch, is it possibly the starter button or what, need help

steve

Old 01-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Problems

I don't know how it happened, but I had the same problem once. The thing stalled out because it wasn't running right, and when I went to restart it nothing happened. The starter switch was bad, but it also burned up the wire going to the starter relay. Testing the starter button is easy if you have an ohmmeter/multimeter. It should have infinite resistance when released, and close to 0 ohms when it's pressed in.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Problems

thnx the ther help, i tried checking the switch that holds the start button and the on off switch and everything was all cruddy and i was just wondering if that is the only was to test the switch by taking it apart. because it is only 60 bucks which isnt bad to replace and i would if i could possibly find out if that is it cause ive spent 65 bucks on the relay and clutch switch.

thnx steve

Old 01-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Problems

The easiest way to test the starter button will be to take the plastic housing on the handlebar apart, and tap into the wires on the push button. What I usually do is take a couple of pins (safety pins, sewing needle, etc) and push one through each wire, and then touch the tester probes on the pins. This way you don't take the insulation off of the wire, and you don't need to cut into wires when you don't know for sure what the problem is. I can't think of anything else that would cause your problems if you already replaced the relay, and the starter is good. It's either that switch, or a broken/loose wire somewhere.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Problems

ok i was thinking of buying a new starter button but you can only but a whole new switch holde with the run switch, start switch and lights. It is $60 and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think thats it. I have replaced the starter relay, the clutch swich, and checked the connections on the battery and other parts. THe way i have been starting it recently is by holding a jumper cable from the positive battery side to the side of the starter relay farther from the battery, so it is like bypassing the starter relay which i think controls the switch so if i replaced the relay and it still doesnt work it should be the switch right. Im a little hort on money and you cant return electrical parts and i dont have a tester on hand, o i would just liek some opinions.

steve

Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Problems

BUMP?!

Old 01-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Problems

It could be the starter button, but there could also be a broken wire between the button and the starter relay. Either you can get a tester for like $10 and test the switch, or you can take a chance and spend $60 on the new one, and not be sure that it will even solve your problem. My suggestion is go to walmart and get the cheapest digital multimeter they have (no more than $15 probably). It's a nice tool to have around the garage anyways when you're troubleshooting any kind of electrical problem.