Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 '02 won't start? ** Update **

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 '02 won't start????

Today, before heading to the farm, I started my Griz (5 mths dormant), and it fired up nicely!!.....

2. I load the Griz on my truck
3. After 40 min. I make it to a gas station along the way and fill up truck & ATV. I notice I left the ignition key on. So, I turn it off.
4. I get to the farm, unload the ATV, and it won't start.
5. It sounds as if it wants to crank, but doesn't.
6. It just makes a "lock up" noise. As if it can't quite break loose......
7. Immediately, I figure the battery is low, but with no cranking power
8. Take it to Walmart......they run test....."Good" need to recharge @ 196 - 210 cranking power
9. They do a fast charge - 35 minutes.
10. So, I take it back, install and does the same thing.
11. However, it did crank 3 or 4 times, and then locked up again. As if it's getting juice, but just can break loose
12. I try several times, no go

Note: I did try jumping or charging with my truck (F150) for about 10 minutes. I hope I didn't fry something. But, number 11 above, happened after I used the truck. The ATV battery is 12v.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Pro Rider

I would suggest trying another battery. The main drawback to lead cell batteries is that if allowed to come to complete equilibrium (run all the way down) they never completely regain their charge differential. Even though though they may charge back to their original volts, they won't be able to move the volume of electrons (current / amps) needed to be able to turn the starter. Try a new battery, that will at least allow you to rule out whether your battery is the prob or not. Good Luck!

~HoundDog

Old 03-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, sounds like a battery

Old 03-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sure sounds like a battery, or bad connection.
As long as your truck was not running, its ok to jump start the quad. Its only when the motor of the truck is running, and the alternator is spinning, that the trucks voltage is over 14 volts.
You can also try bump starting it. Get on,Put it in high, turn key on,choke on, and have someone pull it with a tow strap. You only need about 7mph to get it started, so even a lawn tractor can do this.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it didn't start when it was connected to the truck battery I don't think the battery is the issue, the truck battery would put out more than enough to turn it over.

I'm leaning more towards the starter brushes being the problem. The brushes probably need either cleaned or replaced. When the brushes stop making good contact with the armature the starter can't put out full power. Just sitting for a long time could have allowed some oxidation/corrosion/etc to form on the brushes and armature.

You can try to replace the battery, but taking the starter apart and cleaning the brushes and armature will be less expensive than buying a battery and finding out that it didn't solve your problem. If the battery passed a load test I don't think that's your problem.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

**** Update! ******

Hopefully, I didn't do any damage, because I had the truck running when I tried to jump the ATV. I didn't gas the truck, I just let it idle. Anyway, I did get it started yesterday.....here's how:

1. I recharged the old battery overnite, just to make sure
2. After charging, I placed the old battery in the ATV, and cranked
3. It did the same thing, it just made a noise, as if it was lock up, or could quit break loose - did not crank
4. I pulled the old battery, and replaced with a new battery
5. I charged the new battery for 4 hours, and then placed it in the ATV
6. At first, same thing as the old battery.....made a clicking noise, and just didn't want to break loose. Finally, it slowly cranked, a weak crank, but it cranked, and eventually started.
7. I let it run for about 10 minutes, took it off the truck. After it was warmed up, I turned off the ATV, and tried to restart, fired right up!!
8. I recharged the new battery overnite, so I'll see next Thursday if it's okay, before I head out to disc the food plot.

On a side note: I put the medium grade gasoline (89 octane) in the ATV versus the regular unleaded, or lowest grade (86 or 87), and personally, I could tell a difference in the idle. It seemed to idle alot better! could this be true?

Old 03-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly 660 '02 won't start? ** Update **

try cleanin battery terminals, also disconnect and reconnect the teriminal dunno what this odesnt but it fixed the problem on my raptor, it had the same problem.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

True, I had the problem with my terminals before, they looked clean the battery was charged, but it wouldn't start untill I wire brushed them and reinstalled the connections tightly.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just don't tighten the terminals down too tightly. I made the mistake of tightening the terminals down too much, and ruined a 2 month old $70 interstate battery. The battery posts are thin lead, and will twist right off before you know it.