Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

It has been a year now but, i'm positive KENZ told me to run the highest Octane i can get (110). He said he would use Some VP Red fuel or some weird name like that (i'm prolly way off) but, I told him there was nothing like that out here! I'll be really pissed if i should have been running lower Octane this hole time! Higher Octane can really hinder the performance?

And, I had to send the bike back ::: the first time i just sent the motor and, all the parts, got it back, put it in and, it ran like crap. After 5 jetting changes Ken could not believe it so i sent it back to him in the bike. He was sure i put something together wrong. He got it there on the dyno and, it hit like 35-40HP after a jetting change and, head scratching he noticed i had a problem = As it turned out i had the quiet core silencer in the pipe (Dune Regulations and was still in the muffler from the last time i ran the bike before the build) and, it was restricting the bike so bad it was weaker than a stock raptor! "It was funny after it was over!" I'm dumb! He popped the restrictor plug out and, HOLY COW! I guess on something like this build - no restriction is key! Strangely i'm not a newbie but, must have been all wrapped up in wanting the big power and, missed the littlest thing! Needless to say when i got it back the 2nd time it was Ridiculously more powerfull!

Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptBags
He said he would use Some VP Red fuel or some weird name like that (i'm prolly way off)
VP Red is excellent fuel, that would be my choice too. If you have the extra $$, VP's U2 is good oxygenated fuel for your compression range. Too much octane absolutely will hurt your performance.

VP Fuel Descriptions

Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Range Rover

Another pitch for the dual pipes. Both the Barkers and the LTEs have a mellower sound that draws less attention from the Rangers than any of the single exhuast systems.

My bike was built by Ken before your bike and my original quote mentioned everything that I would need to include the a longer swingarm etc. He was very up front about the fuel and I used the 50/50 mix for a long time, worked great.

With premium at almost $3.00 a gallon, regular just under that and VP red at $4.00 a gallon I don't even mess with it anymore. The VP red runs clean and trouble free.

Every suggestion in this thread reflects the same mods that would be required to optimize the performance of a high hp Banshee.

Most of the duners I know have an extra set of Geckos or other cheap paddle tires laying around, we just don't use them to race with.

Set your bike up with the support equipment it needs, put some NOS on it, and show those 80hp Banshees the business end of the your Raptor so you can post your kill stories for us to read between the mundane crap we do at work!

CRR

Old 03-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the last raptor i did was outrunning a couple different 80hp gas 4mm the other weekend. So it is possible. Try working on your setup

Old 03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

My Raptor picked up a bunch with the addition of FCRs. I'd also ditch the big gun exhaust. I have no problems keeping up with and beating a few of the big HP banshees on the sand flats. The biggest issue for me is hillshooting, I've got to get some bottom end power back. ( dyna FS is on the way )

I'm running a 12:1 686 ported with HC stage 2, FCRs, Sparks exhaust and a JTM swingarm extension. The quad is unrideable under hard power without that extension and it makes it an all around better handling machine. Also as mentioned earlier ditch the geckos. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

forgot the most important thing, dont listen to UBET hes a jacka$$ but I think you figured that out already.
WTF....I dare you to line up with UBET...Or any of the other CrayCraft 686s...You will be Sorry you did...

Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Hasn't given up on the 660 just yet...

I meant to qoute Choose about beating up on 686's

Don't make me bolt my or silverbullets engines in a chassis bike!
LOL see yall soon

Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

a buddy of ours is running 14 paddles on 686 13 to1 ,lte fcrs 4.8 on sand... lot a money in it but very dependable consistent...but you line up a two stroke 4mill stock cylinder mild port cpi inframes cut trany 8over swingarm, runs 4.4 consistent al day long .....your probaly gona make a two stroke run faster for less money... compare two four strokes.......... i like both bikes i own a raptor that runs 5.6 stock besides exhaust and swingarm and a banshee that runs 4.4s all in 300 ft it ALL BOILS down to how much money do you have.....as im finding out..lololol icould nt just be happy with my banshee love the raptor....remember they all break.....

Old 03-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: DriverDoyle
forgot the most important thing, dont listen to UBET hes a jacka$$ but I think you figured that out already.
WTF....I dare you to line up with UBET...Or any of the other CrayCraft 686s...You will be Sorry you did...
OK! thanks for the warning. Wheres the icons? So I can Use the one for LMAO or Rolling my eyes.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SCHOLLE
I meant to qoute Choose about beating up on 686's

Don't make me bolt my or silverbullets engines in a chassis bike!
LOL see yall soon
LOL, Now Scholle, we know what 686's I beat up on and which ones I dont, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?