Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cheap speedo for sport quads!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap speedo for sport quads!

I came up with a cheap alternative to spending big bucks to tell how fast you are going.
go to your nearest cycle shop(bicycle)buy a cateye digital speedo ($22), JB weld the magnet to the inside of your front wheel and mount the sensor on the brake caliper hide the cable on the back side of your a arms,speedo mounts on handlebars its easy to do and I've had this setup since spring and no problems.Unit is waterproof,I leave it on the quad to wash it.And its seen plenty of mud. Try it out!

Old 09-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good idea...I should have thought about that before I spent 500.00 on a GPS. By the way how fast can you get her going?? I got my 06 Raptor 700 to go 117KM.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

My raptor is stock with a one tooth down front sprocket and ive hit about 75,but thats screaming down the pavement. My freind has a stock 700 rappy he gets me through 1st and 2nd but I reel him in , in fourth and fifth

Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Those 700's are fast out of the hole

Old 09-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine is completely stock. I think 117KM/hour is close to 75MPH ??? I was on a gravel road. The rear end was a little Squirrelly .

Old 09-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Range Rover

hey what model cateye did you use, what a good idea i need to get one, any info on installation would be great! thanks kris

Old 09-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats a good suggestion.
And if someone was interested in spending a little bit more, try buying a used gps from a pawn shop. For 40 bucks, and then spending 15 bucks more for a mount, you can get top speed capture, odometer, bread crumb tracks, electronic compass, plus gps functions.
If you buy an already used one, even if some low life steals it, or it becomes broke, its pretty cheap for a full function gauge, and it also helps to keep from getting turned around and lost in the woods. GPS units either work or they dont. Just ask the pawn shop if they will give you 7 days to return it, if it fails to work. Then take it to someone who knows how to use it...check it out, and youre go to go. What makes it a real deal, is if you have more than one quad, it can easily be moved from one quad to another, where the speedo is alot of work to swap back and forth when changing quads.
My 2 cents

Old 09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

just curious but how acurate is that i did concider tryin this when i first started to ride a motocross bike and i thought that they were designed for use on bicycles with somethin like a 26' wheel which has a much bigger travel per revolution than a quad wheel dont mean to go all mr professor on ya but i just didnt think it would work cos i thought those type speedos worked by countin how many times the thing on the wheel went by the counter

Old 09-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They're designed as a universal speedometer. They do count the number of times the wheel spins in a time period, but you program into it the circumfrence of your tires, so it's probably actually more accuate than if one would have came on the quad from the factory.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

fulltiltrider, You expression in your profile is a bit odd. "you must have been flying because when i passed you i was hauling ***"

now the real expression is " You must have been going pretty fast because u were hauling *** when i passed you!!"

Quick Reply: cheap speedo for sport quads!