Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

95 Wolverine replacement carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Wolverine replacement carb

Ya I hear those intake boots can leak even though they look fine, they must get pinhole leaks. The only good way to check is install a new boot like you did.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Man, let the hotrod Wolverine reunion contiue. Whats up guys?

95 Wolv, if I were you bud I would ditch the ol' stock 36mm Mikuni and get the 36mm race carb with the accelerator pump. Man that thing has instant power, especially with the 446. Going with the 36mm and not going any larger on the bore diameter I dont think you are giong to lose any bottom at all, if anything you will have gains from the accel. pump, and its going to do a little better on the high end. IMO its alot more modernized and efficient than the factory 36. The only thing that I dont like is that its aluminum. I have a problem with over-tightening screws and bolts so I strip the float bowl screw bores out all the time. I dont think this will be a hugh problem for everyone else though.

You know after posting this I did realize that the stock carb (1995) has an accelerator pump. I still hold to my advice though. After testing them both back to back on the race engine, there was no comparison, the race carb had sick response from bottom to top. I realize that you are only .040 over and thats not like a 446 but I still feel that this will be a surperior carburetor to the one that you have.

Have fun guys,
Adam

Old 09-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

Hey Adam,

I stand corrected; I said a couple of posts up that you had an Edelbrock. I see in your sig that it is a Mikuni.

I just got back from riding a little bit ago...nothing like 70 deg., dry air, and some Sunoco Puple 110 octane. This was the first ride with a 50/50 mix of 93/110 fuel. Any hint of detonation that I thougt I was hearing, once in awhile, was gone. I knew I didn't need staight 110 with only 11:1 compression. I can't believe the difference when nailing it, while bogged down, with the higher octane fuel. It really pulled a heck of a lot harder.

So far, I really love this new carb. I richened it up about 4 clicks and it is easier to start when cold. With the nice cool air, it is reading just about right on my air/fuel meter.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thats ok man.

I think I like the idea of jetting with metering rods, I think it would be kind of cool, and would save going to the dealer all of the time to buy jets.

Its good to hear the bike is running good. Was it bogging with the high octane or the low?

I am pretty sure that as long as you arent pre-detonating your mixture at all that the lower octane level will actually run better due to their being slightly more energy in it (due to a lack of additives that the high octane has) and the mixture of lower octane combusting more completely.

I havent researched this to the fullest, but Im about 95% on it. If you would like to know for a fact what the differences would be, let me know and I'll research it a little for you.

Later guys,
Adam

Old 10-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Range Rover

Yesterday was the first time I have ever used the higher octane fuel. Been wanting to try some for awhile, but it is pretty hard to come by. Can you believe they are getting $6.35 a gallon for it! They also carry 115 for $7.35 a gallon.

The intermittent "noise" I was hearing, while under a heavy load, had to be pre-detonation...as I didn't hear it at all with the 50/50 mix of 93/110. I tried my darndest to make it ping and I couldn't get it to do it with the higher octane fuel mix.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Man.. great information flowing in this thread - all the old wolverine veterans showing up and giving info - gotta love it.

95Wolv.. sorry to hear that replacing the carb wasn't the immediate remedy for your grief. On the flip side, it doesn't sound as if you feel like you got a bad deal - heaven knows I contemplated it from time to time - just as a backup for myself.

Tdrango - back before my broken valve spring, I had the 11:1 435 - I had a ping while lugging it too - until I went to higher octane fuel. Ran a bit of that straight out - 110 is nice and once tuned for it, runs really strong. Got tired of having to take my own fuel everywhere so I started mixing just to see what would happen. Found a great mix of 1/2 &1/2. I even created an octane mix formula spreadsheet in order to figure out what ratios would produced what octane as well as what price it came out to be. In the end, 102 octane was the magic "no ping" number.

After the meltdown, I decided I'd had enough of the mixing and went back to a 10.5:1. No more hauling my own fuel mixes around and riding in Colorado meant not having to take octane booster with me if filling up at a station on the way back to the hotel. Every once in a while (but not often) I can just catch a ping - but it's got to be severely lugging and on the basic crap fuel. If I keep if filled with Premium, it's good to go.

I'm getting ready to add a second dial a jet to my setup and am thinking it's gonna be pretty cool - no rejetting for Colorado - just a couple of clicks on the screwdriver and viola!

Old 10-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Range Rover

You guys are right, this has been a great Wolverine thread . . . are there any current or recent Stroked Wolvy owners that we haven't heard from?

95Wolverine, some evening soon, while cruising home late from work, I'll track you down. I'm real curious why you asked me if I have had any problems with the Big Bear 4th / 5th gear swap???