Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New here...could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 02:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here...could use some advice

Whats up guys...i recently picked up a 2002 yamaha warrior in great cond. Im an acura tech but have never got into atvs or repairing them so I just wanted to ask about any common problems with the warrior that I should be looking out for. As of now it runs excellent and is 100% stock. Any tips or maintence I should be aware of would be great. I got a haynes manual in the mail.

And one last question. Ive been searching for an exhaust system. Something that looks great and isnt too loud...I dont mind great sound but the stock is pretty loud to begin with. Also I heard something about having to change the jets after an exhaust upgrade? Is this true? What about the spark arrestor thing? Is that a must and what the hell is it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Like i said...any tips would be great.

Thanks in advance guys...

Old 09-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

Best thing you can do is keep your carbs clean and fresh oil in it. Im sure you know that. Change the oil after every 3-5 big rides. Use only motorcycle oil, not car oil. The spark arrestor is also called the muffler or the silencer, it all means the same thing. As for jetting, ever time you do a somewhat major upgrade (asside from an air filter) you need to rejet. Jetting is changing the fuel/air mixture to the piston via the carb. As for reccomendations on exhausts, im not too familiar with the warrior but there are a lot of people on here that are. Any questions feel free to ask.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any decent exhaust is going to flow more air, so you need to add more fuel via bigger jets. Adding an airfilter setup will also help squeeze a bit more power and optimize your exhaust output. A spark arrestor is a must for anyone that isn't riding closed course tracks exclusively. There are 2 main types, the first being a mesh screen that sits at the end of the exhaust, and the second being the "Supertrapp" style of discs that are at the end of the exhaust. With many manufacturers using the mesh style, you have to specify you want a spark arrestor. Just because you buy a new exhaust or slip-on muffler/silencer DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE A SPARK ARRESTOR! Anyway, good luck with the Warrior. They are generally pretty reliable, although many people have had trouble with the parking brake sensor causing the motor to cut out if it shorts.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK...ic. All I plan on upgrading other than bars and bumpers is an exhaust system and an air filter. Is it a must to re-jet? I understand to optimize more power but will everything run fine if I dont? I saw someone sellin an E2 white brothers slip on on ebay and his reason for selling the exhaust was for jetting reasons.

Any common exhaust systems that are pretty popular on the warriors? Nothing too expensive and i really dont care for the added power...just want a nice sound and a clean set-up. Stock muffler is rusted to hell so..

Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Ant,

The warrior is down on power in stock trim. Go get yourself a ProDesign intake manifold and filter setup, foam or K&N filter construction. If you are not going to build up the motor much, skip the aftermarket header and get yourself a slip on silencer. Make sure it comes equiped with a spark arrestor, I have been stopped and checked for that riding.

With these mods, you will be running too lean so you will have to rejet. If you are not comfortable doing that, talk to your atv riding buddies in your area and get it rejetted at a shop, not an expensive undertaking. You being an Acura tech, can most likely do this yourself. You can typically get jetting recommendations from the manufacturer of the exhaust you decide to buy. Don't forget to tell him if you go with intake modifications.

I would suggest the Yoshimura comp series slip on exhaust, it can be picked up from Rocky Mountain ATV for $280 and is a good exhaust, it comes with a spark arrestor. (http://www.rockymountainatv.com)

Change the oil, clean the filter, and it is a very reliable, fun quad.

Good luck, wear a helmet to protect the cone.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New aftermarket exhaust and air filter will definately have you runninng lean. Once you have done it a few times, you should be able to change jets out in under ten minutes. You really should change your jetting for summer and winter temps anyway, so it never hurts to learn.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

More air in, more air out = MUST REJET or burn it up![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

yah kinda figured that...just wanted to make sure. Is there any sound clips available of different types of exhaust. I want a nice clean sound...not too throaty and not too loud. Kinda like a street bike....clean at idle and soft throttle but open up nicely at higher rpms? Any suggestions. Ive been looking into the DG Bullet slip on and the jardine slip-on. Any ideas or sound clips?

Old 09-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

i had a 05 raptor 350(same as warrior) and had proflow kit with fmf factory 4 complete on plus that pipe comes with a jet kit. its not to loud and it gives alot of torque and top end