Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Grizzly only starts in park and neutral, and park light intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Grizzly only starts in park and neutral, and park light intermittent

I just bought a 2003 Grizzly 660 in great condition with only 279 miles and 48 hours on it. The only thing I have noticed that is kind of annoying is that the light is hard to get to come on in park, which makes it so it won't start until you fiddle with or put it in neutral. I read in the owners manual that it should start in any gear as long as you have the brake pressed. This does not work even when I press real hard. It only starts in neutral or park. When I put it in park the light does not come on unless you jiggle and play with the shifter a bunch. So, does anyone know why the switch for the park light is doing this or how to adjust it or fix it? I have not been able to find a service manual to download with a schematic yet and I haven't really spent any time hands on seeing how the mechanisms work on the ATV. I was hoping to find someone who had the same problem and had a quick fix. I called the dealer and they said it is common and there really isn't anything you can do about it. Any suggestions appreciated before I actually get out to the shop to get my hands dirty on it would be appreciated. Also, if you know where I can download a service manual, that would be nice also. Thanks

Old 09-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2003 Grizzly only starts in park and neutral, and park light intermittent

jevs, try rocking the grizz back and forth to lock the tranny into park. sometimes when you put it in park the tranny doesn't always lock in park. As for starting it in gear you need to pull in the left (rear) hand brake and it will start in any gear

Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I just got in from the shop and saw the switch on the left hand brake. I did not know I had to pull that to get it to start in gear. It works!. I am starting to think the park thing may just be like you said that it needs to be rocked or bumped a little. Once it is not running and I get it on the first time. the light comes on every time I switch it in and out. Thanks. I only got to ride it for about 30 minutes so far so I haven't had much time to play with everything.