Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How and what to rinse off after a muddy ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How and what to rinse off after a muddy ride?

I just bought my Raptor 660 yesterday, and I was out riding all day in the mud and rain. I wanted to rinse the mud off but I have heard certain spots on the quad should not be sprayed..Also, am I supposed to grease my chain after every ride? Thanks alot for any help.
Dan

Old 10-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Well the reason you arent supposed to rinse it is due to the hot engine and if you spray the engine while it is hot metal expands and then will contract very quickly and its not good for it to change that quickly...But if you can rinse majority off go ahead without spraying the engine or I would just let it sit for a little and cool down...I would have to say for the chain just keep it clean as the main thing but you def want to keep it lubed up so check it to make sure its not dry and if it is or just really dirty clean it first and apply the chain lube bel ray makes good lube and spray it on the inner part of the chain...any ?'s just let me know good luck

Old 10-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Since you are new to the atv's I would also make sure your airfilter is clean, don't let gas sit in the carb for a long period of time if you aren't going to ride it put the petcock on off and use up the rest of the gas in the carb til the quad dies, check the oil before you ride,and change it when it starts getting dark along with the oil filter, and you will want to check the valve clearance every once and a while, and one other thng if you always go through mud and junk your bearings are goign to lose grease and get dirt in them (the bearings in the rear swingarm) so you will want to repack them wise grease every once and a while.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Wow...Thanks alot man..That was just the information I needed, and was looking for. Is there also a specific type and brand of engine oil you could reccomend.
Dan

Old 10-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

I use Amsoil 0/40 in both my quads and highly reccomend it. It is pricey though. Do not swith to a synthetic oil until your quad is broke in, usually 2-4 tanks of gas. Everyone will tell you a different story about what oil is better. Basically buy any oil you like as long as it is compatible with your machine, you need an oil compatible with wet clutches.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

I don't have a rappy but one of these guys could help and bass is right you will hear a different story from everyone so whatever works well for you is fine...here is a site with a few how to do it yourself stuff

http://www.raptortranny.com/index.php

Old 10-29-2006, 05:53 AM
Pro Rider

Just for future refrence I ride in the mud alot. If I know I'm going to be doing so I will spray the inner fenderwells and rims with cooking pam. It's an old mx trick from way back and if you do so, than as you ride thru the mud and it collects on your bike. It will just fall off like nobodys buisness when you hit some bumps in the trail. Cleaning up afterwards will cut your time in half.

Hope it helps you,
Mud

Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Range Rover

Thanks alot for all the input!! Since I bought this quad I havent been in the house much other than to check this..I am so happy with this quad.The guys at the firehouse are all looking into buying quads now. Thanks again.
Dan

Old 10-29-2006, 10:45 AM
SJ
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: madmuddin1
Just for future refrence I ride in the mud alot. If I know I'm going to be doing so I will spray the inner fenderwells and rims with cooking pam. It's an old mx trick from way back and if you do so, than as you ride thru the mud and it collects on your bike. It will just fall off like nobodys buisness when you hit some bumps in the trail. Cleaning up afterwards will cut your time in half.

Hope it helps you,
Mud

finny6944 this is very TRUE. I do the same and believe me it helps and does save a lot of clean up time.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Range Rover

Well congrats on the new quad and welcome to the forums. You have chosen I fine machine. I really love my Raptor. I have had very minor problems with it mostly due to being abused by the brother in law that I bought it from. All in all I am very happy with it.

Quick Reply: How and what to rinse off after a muddy ride?