Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007 | 12:01 AM
Range Rover
Default Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

CB I did a little test tonight. I pulled the Grizz out tonight for 3 hours (It is currently 13 outside). Supposedly the stealer fixed mine by richening it up....Well I went out and tried to crank it...DAMN POS would not start!!!! The way I got it started was to crack the throttle open ever so slightly. If you give it too much has it will backfire....

I really hope Yamaha gets this issue fixed. Overall I like the bike. I am hoping in single digit temps this thing will start if I use the "cracking the thrttle open" method. If I go hunting with this thing and it leaves me stranded I am going to be PI$$ED!! I am thinking I should have bought a King Quad......I only have 3.9 hours on the bike. What really irks me is the dealer put almost 45 minutes on the engine just to adjust the mixture...probably running on the gas analyzer, etc...I hope this does not screw up the breaking in of the engine....I know if is really bad to let it idle and not put a load on it when they are new.

Old 02-01-2007 | 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: cfwilkins
CB I did a little test tonight. I pulled the Grizz out tonight for 3 hours (It is currently 13 outside). Supposedly the stealer fixed mine by richening it up....Well I went out and tried to crank it...DAMN POS would not start!!!! The way I got it started was to crack the throttle open ever so slightly. If you give it too much has it will backfire....

I really hope Yamaha gets this issue fixed. Overall I like the bike. I am hoping in single digit temps this thing will start if I use the "cracking the thrttle open" method. If I go hunting with this thing and it leaves me stranded I am going to be PI$$ED!! I am thinking I should have bought a King Quad......I only have 3.9 hours on the bike. What really irks me is the dealer put almost 45 minutes on the engine just to adjust the mixture...probably running on the gas analyzer, etc...I hope this does not screw up the breaking in of the engine....I know if is really bad to let it idle and not put a load on it when they are new.
Hey CF, I asked my dealer about richening mine up with the pod and the said that it's only for when you put on mods, like intake etc, if you richen it it will foul the plug and not run well when warmed up. The fix has to be to richen it at startup and then go leaner as it warms up, so I'm told.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:00 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

You are probably on to something there Yamadog, the real fix may be to alter the fuel delivery program that pertains to starting rather than changing a parameter that affects the fuel mixture in an overall, all the time sense (if this is what that parameter change does). Worst case, if there isn't one already perhaps the addition of a sensor that can detect or better detect the state of "warmth" of the engine (that could be used to determine the proper fuel mixture at startup or re-start). In any event, I see this as being a fairly simple, modular retro-fit (i.e. recall or service bulletin) as soon as Yamaha sorts it out...

Old 02-01-2007 | 11:19 AM
|
Trailblazer

So does anyone have knowlege that Yamaha knows about this?
Are they really working on this?
Are our dealers really contacting the corperate Yamaha to file problem reports are our dealer simply blowing smoke long enough that we are out of cold weather.

As far as riding in cold weather, like I said I ride anytime it's above 30 degrees and sunny. Issue is that is the high for the day not the low, the low temps like last night was 2 degrees. If the sun comes out and it warms up to 30 or above I'll ride if possible. Also I want to take this ATV Ice Fishing on some of our big lakes like Lake Grandby and want to haul out my ICE hut. Guess that won't be happening.

Again my Praire 400 non fuel injected starts 1st crank every time in same temps, it's my snow plow ATV.

Old 02-01-2007 | 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Its hard to say if Yamaha knows about this problem or not. My dealer told me Yamaha had informed dealers that they needed to lean out the fuel mixture. Numerous other dealers nearby have told me they need to enrichen the mixture. It is a common problem, because every dealer I have talked to about it is aware of the problem, but I'm not convinced they know how to solve the problem. It may take a reflash of the fuel injection program, which it does not appear Yamaha has done yet.

The real problem comes when you load the Grizzly onto an open trailer the night before a planned trail ride. The next morning you drive to the riding area with your buddies, and even though its 10 degrees at the time, you plan on it getting up to 30 degrees later in the day, so its still a good day for riding. Except your brand new big bad fuel injected Grizzly with power steering and all the fancy cute little features wont start. You're with 6 other buddies, and all their ATVs start just fine, but the newest and baddest ATV of the group will not start, and you have to turn around and go back home, and park your $8000 piece of junk in the garage. I have learned never to load the Grizzly the night before. I can load anything else in the garage, but not the Grizzly. Our YFZ 450 starts instantly, even on one day when it was -19. I can kick start the YZ 450 dirt bike when its zero outside, even though it has 15w50 oil in the crankcase. Just don't plan on starting a Grizzly 700 in that temperature.

Old 02-01-2007 | 03:52 PM
|
Trailblazer

I'm wondering if this is a altitude issue, where I'm at 5000 feet the computer may be leaning out mix too much for cold start conditions.

If you are have trouble with cold starting your 700 FI tells us your altitude and tempature the night prior to attempt to start.

Old 02-01-2007 | 06:24 PM
PFO
Trailblazer

I live at 6,900 ft. in Colorado, no cold start issues yet, but I leave mine parked in the garage. We rode Texas Creek last Saturday and quad was loaded the night before, no starting issues. I do have a Dobeck TFI on it that I used to richen the atv up at idle to 1/4 throttle. Maybe I will park mine outside tonight and put a cover on it to at least keep the snow off, I am curious to see what happens.

Old 02-01-2007 | 06:32 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

PFO, did you change your air filter and exhaust system as well, or is the FI controller your only modificaiton?...

Old 02-01-2007 | 06:46 PM
PFO
Trailblazer

Dobeck is it for now, no other engine, exhaustor airbox mods. I did order a new exhaust tip for it.

Supposed to be -6 tonight.

Old 02-01-2007 | 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ColoradoBubba
I'm wondering if this is a altitude issue, where I'm at 5000 feet the computer may be leaning out mix too much for cold start conditions.

If you are have trouble with cold starting your 700 FI tells us your altitude and tempature the night prior to attempt to start.
I can't belive it's an altitude issue since I am about 30 feet above sea level at my place. As for temps it seems that anything below 10 degrees causes it to start hard.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 700 has cold start issues