Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007 | 06:49 PM
PFO
Trailblazer
Default Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

Originally posted by: Yamadog
Originally posted by: ColoradoBubba
I'm wondering if this is a altitude issue, where I'm at 5000 feet the computer may be leaning out mix too much for cold start conditions.

If you are have trouble with cold starting your 700 FI tells us your altitude and tempature the night prior to attempt to start.
I can't belive it's an altitude issue since I am about 30 feet above sea level at my place. As for temps it seems that anything below 10 degrees causes it to start hard.

I think he means because he is at a higher altitude and less O2 up here!

Old 02-01-2007 | 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

I live in Maine and I have started my Grizz at temps as low as -8f NO problem, turns over a couple times and fires right up and I am 134 feet above sea level as the GPS reads! However, I also have the Dobeck fuel controller, exhaust tip, screen in the air box cut open, twin air filter and have my pod set on 50. When it was below zero I started it up and let it run about 30 seconds started down the driveway and it was running like crap, came right back and adjusted the pod to 50 without touching my fuel controller and have never had a problem with it running bad when it was cold. I have tried it many times to make sure its going to run good cold as well as hot and it is flawless. KNOCK ON WOOD. At the end of the month I am going to Quebec to ride and its common to see 18 - 25 below zero It had better start!

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Anybody know why the Raptor 700efi has no such problems?

Old 02-01-2007 | 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Good question. When I went to my local dealer to try and start a different Grizzly than mine own on a cold morning, the Grizzly 700 I tried outside in the dealers storage lot would not start. But there was a Raptor 700 parked right next to it that fired right up in what seemed like half a revolution of the engine. NO hesitation with the Raptor, NO start with the Grizzly 700. And that was a brand new unsold Grizzly 700 that wouldn't even start while it was still at the dealership. Thats pretty pathetic if you ask me, an pretty obvious that Yamaha never tested cold weather high altitude starting.

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:18 AM
Range Rover

I'm sorry to hear about the cold start issues. I wonder if they fixed the problem, because I bought my grizzly 700 2 weeks before christmas and I've been able to get it started after about 4 turnovers every time in the single digits to two digit temps here in Minnesota. I've got about 350 miles on it.
Mine seems to always start in the cold, but it would stall sometimes after letting off the throttle. I had the breakin searvice done and they adjusted the throttle and now it doesn't stall either.
I hope Yamaha fixes this problem for all you having problems, so you can enjoy your machines as much as I do

Old 02-02-2007 | 05:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DesertViper Thats pretty pathetic if you ask me, an pretty obvious that Yamaha never tested cold weather high altitude starting.
Exactly. They evidently didn't do testing and rushed it to market. Remember the hold ups they had for some sort of emissions foul up? Maybe this is a result of that too? Anyway, Yamaha has or should have access to an environmental testing chamber which can simulate temperature and even various altitude conditions. The engineers at Yamaha should be able to get a grizz that is outfitted with all the proper diagnostic gear into testing quite quickly and determine what exactly is going wrong and work through a solution in relatively short order. This has been a known issue with the dealers for at least a couple of weeks now so you would have thought that Yamaha could have had a solution worked out.

What is infuriating is that if the machine was properly tested this wouldn't be happening. I'm really shocked they didn't put the thing in some sort of environmental testing chamber and do your normal battery of tests that one would run something like an ATV or any sort of outdoor product through. Heck, they run crap like patio furniture, windows, wheelbarrows, shovels, BBQ grills, lawnmowers, snowblowers, generators, aircompressors, industrial gagets and gear and all manner of consumer crap through ETCs so I'm dumbfounded that Yamaha evidently didn't subject their brand new ATV design to an extensive environmental testing chamber series which would have surely shown this defect.

Bad move to use their customers and beta unsuspecting beta testers. I say everyone who has been screwed should get a free selection of yamaha gear for their trouble after their griz is fixed as an apoligy. A nice bag or box or perhaps a rack or winch specifically for their grizzly. That's the kind of thing that yamaha should do to make things right and repair damage to a companies reputation.

Old 02-02-2007 | 11:58 AM
PFO
Trailblazer

ok, pushed the quad out of the garage where it was 30 deg. I let it sit outside where it was -6 for a little over 2 hours. I tried to start it when it was 1 degree. I tried starting it 3 times the way I normally do, just hitting the starter button. The 4th try I gave it almost 1/2 throttle, fired right up and stayed running. I am going to dump a little more fuel into it via my TFI and let it sit out overnight and then try it. Glad I found out about this now instead of in the mountains. I did trailer my atv up to about 8,200 feet about a month ago where it was 11 degrees, quad fired right up.

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:09 PM
PFO
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ColoradoBubba
I dropped off my new Grizzly at dealer this afternoon for the third time, lows tonight around 0 degrees, Thursday night -7 degrees. I continue to have troubles each and every time I attempt to ride this atv from the 2nd day I've owned it. Each time I've had cold start issues, the temps here have dipped down to single digits and then the next day the sun is out and temps are in the mid 20s and low 30s. I've got unit loaded up on trailer all night long planning on riding but have to crank the Grizz over 8 - 10 times, cranking between 10 - 15 seconds each time. I've used some throttle, I've not touched the throttle both don't work. It sounds like it wants to start but if you let off it dies. When this occurs the only way I've started is after 8 - 10 attempts and I have opened throttle just a little. Now I've tried this from the beginning and it didn't work, not until the 8th or 10th time.

I've got 9.6 hours on unit. Once unit starts it only displays one other problem and that is during the first 5 mins of riding if you let off throttle the unit idles down very low, in fact it died the first run out. Since then it only idles down but doesn't die.

Dealer has adjust the mix from 0 to 40 and we saw the plug getting black, so they readjusted it back to 15.

I asked the service rep if they could check the air temp sensor or coolant sensor and determine if it was reading within spec. He said they don't get paid unless they replace something and the part would have to be defective.
My comment was "I'm getting pretty discourged about your ability to fix this, unless you can test out the sensors and such how will you find the problem". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
I'll let them do the break in service, just in case the valves are out of adjustment. I also asked them to check the idle speed and spark plug again.

So bottom line is if you own a Grizzly and plan on starting it in single digit weather at 5000 feet, you are screwed! Not everyone is reporting this issue so maybe I'm just a lucky dirtbag. Ispent $8K on junk. My carberated Praire 400 starts every flipping time in the same temps etc as this new over priced over rated pile which takes 8-10 attempts to start.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Since I've blew off some steam, the Grizzly seems to be a very nice unit other than this cold start issue.
I bought the 700 for two reasons over the 660.
1st Fuel injection no cold start issues guessing how much choke to use etc.
2nd Power Steering, this works super nice.

Note guys the ad from Yamaha promotes this FI system as the cold start solution. BS!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
What dealer did you purchase yours from? I got mine in Cheyenne. I will do some more testing on mine with the Dobeck controller to see if this is a fuel thing. I live east of the Springs and supposed to be a bit chilly tonight also. I may try taking the lid off my airbox also if it won't crank in the morning. Funny how my carbed Grizzlies fired right up in this kind of weather. Keep us posted on your findings and I will do the same.

Check this sight out, http://atvquadsquad.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/8316077654
lots of good people, with lots of good info. Also you are more than welcome to come to our annual Pot Luck we have. Great time to meet fellow riders and share info.

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:26 PM
Range Rover

I don't think Yamaha came out and said oops, we forgot to put it in an enviromental test chamber. There's no way the didn't, yes it's hard to believe, but you can bet they did test it. Every other quad manufacturer has problems with their ATV's and nobody really bats an eye, but with Yamaha it seems to be a big deal. Virtually all sport bike tachs are off by close to 1000 RPM, but nobody really cares until the 2006 R6 and then everyone blows up about it's optomistic tach. Nobody ever says anything about AC, Popo, and Ski-donkey 4-strokes, but everyone will bash a Apex or Phazer every chance they get. I know there are problems with the Grizz 700, I've had the cold start problem, or hard start problem, but it always starts, and that's in Saskatchewan at -20 without wind, close to -35 with wind and it has 20W40 oil in it. It's a first year machine, chances are it'll have a few bugs, i know this cold start problem is major, but if thats the only one and Yamaha can get it figured out quick, i'd say the grizz is doing pretty good. I love my new 700, I'll garauntee yamaha tested it in a chamber and i'll gaurantee they didn't just rush the 700FI to the market, everyone was whining about the 660 and it took Yamaha forever to come out with the 700FI, they were the last manufacturer to have a big bore EFI quad, so they didn't rush this to the market.

Old 02-02-2007 | 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yami450D
I don't think Yamaha came out and said oops, we forgot to put it in an enviromental test chamber. There's no way the didn't, yes it's hard to believe, but you can bet they did test it. Every other quad manufacturer has problems with their ATV's and nobody really bats an eye, but with Yamaha it seems to be a big deal. Virtually all sport bike tachs are off by close to 1000 RPM, but nobody really cares until the 2006 R6 and then everyone blows up about it's optomistic tach. Nobody ever says anything about AC, Popo, and Ski-donkey 4-strokes, but everyone will bash a Apex or Phazer every chance they get. I know there are problems with the Grizz 700, I've had the cold start problem, or hard start problem, but it always starts, and that's in Saskatchewan at -20 without wind, close to -35 with wind and it has 20W40 oil in it. It's a first year machine, chances are it'll have a few bugs, i know this cold start problem is major, but if thats the only one and Yamaha can get it figured out quick, i'd say the grizz is doing pretty good. I love my new 700, I'll garauntee yamaha tested it in a chamber and i'll gaurantee they didn't just rush the 700FI to the market, everyone was whining about the 660 and it took Yamaha forever to come out with the 700FI, they were the last manufacturer to have a big bore EFI quad, so they didn't rush this to the market.
The 700EFI engine is not a first year engine.......

I could trade up right now if I wanted to, but Yamaha has nothing to offer me. Why should I have to pay somebody to plow the driveway if the 700EFI doesn't want to start! What is so hard about dropping a flawless Raptor engine in another frame?

Do you know what our forecast is here in western PA?

HERE IT IS:

PITTSBURGH Pittsburghers should bundle up and brace themselves, as an arctic blast is expected to move in and push temperatures into single-digit lows by the weekend.

By Saturday, the high is expected to reach 22 degrees and hit a low of 6 degrees. But on Sunday, conditions will become fiercely frigid, with a high of 10 degrees and a low of zero.

And on Monday and Tuesday, temperatures probably won?t climb out of the single digits.

The region hasn?t seen temperatures this cold for several years.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 700 has cold start issues