Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007 | 08:38 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

I dropped off my new Grizzly at dealer this afternoon for the third time, lows tonight around 0 degrees, Thursday night -7 degrees. I continue to have troubles each and every time I attempt to ride this atv from the 2nd day I've owned it. Each time I've had cold start issues, the temps here have dipped down to single digits and then the next day the sun is out and temps are in the mid 20s and low 30s. I've got unit loaded up on trailer all night long planning on riding but have to crank the Grizz over 8 - 10 times, cranking between 10 - 15 seconds each time. I've used some throttle, I've not touched the throttle both don't work. It sounds like it wants to start but if you let off it dies. When this occurs the only way I've started is after 8 - 10 attempts and I have opened throttle just a little. Now I've tried this from the beginning and it didn't work, not until the 8th or 10th time.

I've got 9.6 hours on unit. Once unit starts it only displays one other problem and that is during the first 5 mins of riding if you let off throttle the unit idles down very low, in fact it died the first run out. Since then it only idles down but doesn't die.

Dealer has adjust the mix from 0 to 40 and we saw the plug getting black, so they readjusted it back to 15.

I asked the service rep if they could check the air temp sensor or coolant sensor and determine if it was reading within spec. He said they don't get paid unless they replace something and the part would have to be defective.
My comment was "I'm getting pretty discourged about your ability to fix this, unless you can test out the sensors and such how will you find the problem". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
I'll let them do the break in service, just in case the valves are out of adjustment. I also asked them to check the idle speed and spark plug again.

So bottom line is if you own a Grizzly and plan on starting it in single digit weather at 5000 feet, you are screwed! Not everyone is reporting this issue so maybe I'm just a lucky dirtbag. Ispent $8K on junk. My carberated Praire 400 starts every flipping time in the same temps etc as this new over priced over rated pile which takes 8-10 attempts to start.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Since I've blew off some steam, the Grizzly seems to be a very nice unit other than this cold start issue.
I bought the 700 for two reasons over the 660.
1st Fuel injection no cold start issues guessing how much choke to use etc.
2nd Power Steering, this works super nice.

Note guys the ad from Yamaha promotes this FI system as the cold start solution. BS!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2007 | 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Bubba, glad you started this thread about these 700's not starting and running well in cold temps. Maybe someone will log in and have a fix for this problem! I also have a post over at GrizzlyCentral hoping to get an answer over there. Dog

Old 01-31-2007 | 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

My Grizzly 700 does the same thing, with 27 hours on the engine clock. At 6,000 feet altitude, if temps are in the single digits the 700 will not start, even after multiple attempts. This is a common problem, I stopped at our dealer just as they were opening their business day, and tried to start another new Grizzly when it was 3 degrees outside. The brand new Grizzly parked in the dealers storage lot would not start either. This problem is so widespread that my advise would be that if you live at high altitude and do not have a garage to keep your ATV in, that you not buy a Grizzly 700. And this is coming from a big time Yamaha Grizzly fan. This is our 4th Grizzly, and it is the only one that would not start in cold weather. Over priced, over hyped, and has a major flaw with the fuel injection system that Yamaha apparently does not know how to fix at this point.

Old 01-31-2007 | 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, I've been lookin at this 700 for weeks now and after reading everyones I'm wondering if its going to give me issues?
I live in New Jersey and its rare that the temps here get that low and I dont live or ride in that high of altitude... Is it safe to say I should not see these issues???

Old 01-31-2007 | 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

If Yamaha exalts EFI above non-EFI as a cold weather solution, I would call that an outright LIE. My 2 cents

Old 01-31-2007 | 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Heggan1
OK, I've been lookin at this 700 for weeks now and after reading everyones I'm wondering if its going to give me issues?
I live in New Jersey and its rare that the temps here get that low and I dont live or ride in that high of altitude... Is it safe to say I should not see these issues???
You are not far from me in PA and we have been and will be in the single digits recently...this is prime temps. for the EFI 700 problems from what has been stated.

Old 01-31-2007 | 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was curious to see if its just cold weather or does the altitude have something to do with it as well... I've held off from purchasing as I read on just to see if its really worth the money!

Old 01-31-2007 | 10:11 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I do not have any problems with mine at all, but then again single digit or lower temps in my area are rare. Because of that, if the high temps are predicted to be in the mid 20's or less, I find something else (inside!) to do on that day instead (of riding my ATV). Of course, if I lived in a area where being that cold is common place, then I would adapt (and want my ATV to start!)...

Old 01-31-2007 | 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I adjust well to weather so I will be out in any temp around here. I dont think I've even seen below zero temps around here so I'm still willing to ride!

Old 01-31-2007 | 11:35 PM
DS2
Range Rover

I haven't experienced any problems yet around sea level, but the temps have been between low 20's and low 30's at night (that's when the snow has been falling here, so I went out several times). If it drops to single digits I will try to start her. Sorry to hear about y'alls problems and I hope the issue gets fixed.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 700 has cold start issues