Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007 | 10:41 PM
2TV
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

I took the Grizzly out of my drafty barn this morning, pushed the starter button, it went "rrar, rrar" (turned over twice) then it was up and running. It was +14 F and hadn't been started since last Sunday. I'm at approximately 720 feet above sea level with a pod setting of 15. I then loaded it up into my truck and spent the day riding about an hour north of me in PA where the temps never got above 26. So far that was the coldest temperature that I've ever tried to start it in...

Old 02-04-2007 | 12:49 PM
Range Rover

If you are having cold weather starting problems with the 700fi, I know your problem. I had the same
problem early in the cold season. I called my dealership complaining and the head tech told me the problem
was in the oil. It seems the repair people at the dealerships put the warm weather oil in Grizzly's at
sale, and 1st service. Drain the oil, and leave the filter in place, then refill with 2 to 2 1/2 qts of cold
weather oil. My dealership used the Yamaha 5w30 cw. The cw stands for cold weather. I have had
zero problems since the change, and I ice fish daily being retired. It starts easy now and is able to
be ridden within a min or so. Just change the oil you will see a remarkable cheap fix.

Old 02-04-2007 | 01:45 PM
Range Rover

downeater I am not saying your solution would not work because I have not tried it....but I really find it hard to believe that oil would have anything to do with this issue. I really think this is an FI/computer issue. I just don't see how oil would really be a factor....5W10 is not that much thicker than 10W30...it is but not by a whole lot....

Old 02-04-2007 | 06:52 PM
SFA
Range Rover

Originally posted by: cfwilkins
downeater I am not saying your solution would not work because I have not tried it....but I really find it hard to believe that oil would have anything to do with this issue. I really think this is an FI/computer issue. I just don't see how oil would really be a factor....5W10 is not that much thicker than 10W30...it is but not by a whole lot....

...um 5W10 is mucher THINNER than 10W30 not thicker I can see how you wouldn't understand.......

Old 02-04-2007 | 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

Now I got my Grizzly in Sept06. After 10 hours I changed oil to the oil I use year round. It exceeds the warranty requirments so I don't worry about warranty. Oil may not be the only problem but having the correct oil weight in the ATV or any other motor is very important. Just read the book it will tell you what to use. I use year round a 5W-50 oil. No slick additive. The oil I use will cover any temp I ride in. I have used it for the past six years and never had a problem with a motor or wet clutch. The guy who turned me on to this oil is trained in motors. I took his word for it six years ago and he was right. For any ATV/MC even wet clutch units I use Castrol Syntec 5W-50. Note: on the back it does NOT show energy conserving. This tells you there are no slick additives. Use the oil for he temp you ride in. Even if you are in the breakin of a new motor.

Old 02-04-2007 | 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: downeaster
If you are having cold weather starting problems with the 700fi, I know your problem. I had the same
problem early in the cold season. I called my dealership complaining and the head tech told me the problem
was in the oil. It seems the repair people at the dealerships put the warm weather oil in Grizzly's at
sale, and 1st service. Drain the oil, and leave the filter in place, then refill with 2 to 2 1/2 qts of cold
weather oil. My dealership used the Yamaha 5w30 cw. The cw stands for cold weather. I have had
zero problems since the change, and I ice fish daily being retired. It starts easy now and is able to
be ridden within a min or so. Just change the oil you will see a remarkable cheap fix.
Downeaster, I think you might be right. The dealer told me to bring my Grizz in,and they would change the oil to the 5w30 cw oil as well. So I did last thursday,and since then I've had no trouble at all. At first I thought to myself that this is going to be just a waste of time, but I said what to hay couldn't hurt. But since then the thing has been starting right up,and I've tried it in the mornings when the temps were around 5-10 F. So CB, if your still reading your thread maybe you should try this, if you already haven't. Dog

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:52 PM
Range Rover

SFA that is what I meant....don't proof read my post enough I guess.

I will give it a try...just blows my mind that this would be it. Why would the oil thickness make that much of a difference? Kind of wierd....

Old 02-05-2007 | 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

As crazy as it may seem, its sounds like the oil may be the culprit! If these machines have a safety feature for low oil pressure that shuts them down then maybe when it is that cold out side the oil is so thick it doesn't give an accurate account for pressure causing the safety feature to kill the ignition! After numerous attemps it builds up enough to start them. hmmmmmmmmm, are we onto something here?

Old 02-05-2007 | 07:15 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: gohip2000
I'm sorry to hear about the cold start issues. I wonder if they fixed the problem, because I bought my grizzly 700 2 weeks before christmas and I've been able to get it started after about 4 turnovers every time in the single digits to two digit temps here in Minnesota. I've got about 350 miles on it.
Mine seems to always start in the cold, but it would stall sometimes after letting off the throttle. I had the breakin searvice done and they adjusted the throttle and now it doesn't stall either.
I hope Yamaha fixes this problem for all you having problems, so you can enjoy your machines as much as I do
gohip2000
I note you said it would stall stomtimes after letting off the throttle.
Were you holding the throttle open during your cranking / starting?
Then let off throttle and it died or was the stall after riding and stopping?

Old 02-05-2007 | 07:19 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: PFO
Originally posted by: ColoradoBubba
I dropped off my new Grizzly at dealer this afternoon for the third time, lows tonight around 0 degrees, Thursday night -7 degrees. I continue to have troubles each and every time I attempt to ride this atv from the 2nd day I've owned it. Each time I've had cold start issues, the temps here have dipped down to single digits and then the next day the sun is out and temps are in the mid 20s and low 30s. I've got unit loaded up on trailer all night long planning on riding but have to crank the Grizz over 8 - 10 times, cranking between 10 - 15 seconds each time. I've used some throttle, I've not touched the throttle both don't work. It sounds like it wants to start but if you let off it dies. When this occurs the only way I've started is after 8 - 10 attempts and I have opened throttle just a little. Now I've tried this from the beginning and it didn't work, not until the 8th or 10th time.

I've got 9.6 hours on unit. Once unit starts it only displays one other problem and that is during the first 5 mins of riding if you let off throttle the unit idles down very low, in fact it died the first run out. Since then it only idles down but doesn't die.

Dealer has adjust the mix from 0 to 40 and we saw the plug getting black, so they readjusted it back to 15.

I asked the service rep if they could check the air temp sensor or coolant sensor and determine if it was reading within spec. He said they don't get paid unless they replace something and the part would have to be defective.
My comment was "I'm getting pretty discourged about your ability to fix this, unless you can test out the sensors and such how will you find the problem". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
I'll let them do the break in service, just in case the valves are out of adjustment. I also asked them to check the idle speed and spark plug again.

So bottom line is if you own a Grizzly and plan on starting it in single digit weather at 5000 feet, you are screwed! Not everyone is reporting this issue so maybe I'm just a lucky dirtbag. Ispent $8K on junk. My carberated Praire 400 starts every flipping time in the same temps etc as this new over priced over rated pile which takes 8-10 attempts to start.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Since I've blew off some steam, the Grizzly seems to be a very nice unit other than this cold start issue.
I bought the 700 for two reasons over the 660.
1st Fuel injection no cold start issues guessing how much choke to use etc.
2nd Power Steering, this works super nice.

Note guys the ad from Yamaha promotes this FI system as the cold start solution. BS!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
What dealer did you purchase yours from? I got mine in Cheyenne. I will do some more testing on mine with the Dobeck controller to see if this is a fuel thing. I live east of the Springs and supposed to be a bit chilly tonight also. I may try taking the lid off my airbox also if it won't crank in the morning. Funny how my carbed Grizzlies fired right up in this kind of weather. Keep us posted on your findings and I will do the same.

Check this sight out, http://atvquadsquad.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/8316077654
lots of good people, with lots of good info. Also you are more than welcome to come to our annual Pot Luck we have. Great time to meet fellow riders and share info.

Bought from Twin Peaks, Nice sales outfit, even service is nice I'm just waiting on them to fix problem, I'll expand more in a follow on post.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 700 has cold start issues