Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WARNING GRIZZLY 660 OWNERS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING GRIZZLY 660 OWNERS

BROKEN FRAME

my buddy has a '06 grizzly 660 with 9000 km's or 5000 miles on it and its only a year old, he rides alot, the frame is broken and cracked all over, we ride hard but no harder than most people and we dont jump our bikes on big jumps. Its got an extended warranty but yamaha wont cover the frame, what a bunch of BS, anyone else broke their frame? he welded it up and its been good for the last few rides

-he took the skid plate off for the pics and to weld the frame

this machine has NEVER been rolled or crashed and he bought it new

here's the link, very scary

CLICK THE LINK
BROKEN FRAME PICTURES

Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

5000 miles on a QUAD in 1 year is Nuts in its own right... You don't say how much your buddies weighs and if he carries a passenger... etc.. Thought that my be a 2006 Quad.. sure doesn't look it when looking at those pictures..

Stress Cracks like that in Metal do not just APPEAR my friend.... that machine has been beat down - no doubt.. Which is why Yamaha is laughing at you...

Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

That definately does not look like an 06 grizzly, I know it is, it's even a late release 06 special edition in Canada, was only released last Febuary, but looking at how rusted the frame was, how dirty the bottom of the engine was, and how dirty the CV boots are, it looks rough. We've only had one frame break over the last few years out of our 660's we sold, but that quad had about 6000km in 6 months, was still on it's original oil, had so much maneur on it, it was unreal. I wish I could say, O man, Yamaha better help you out, but, looking at that grizzly I can't blame them for saying no. like crazy steve said, those cracks in the frame don't just happen from normal driving, and for the frame to rust as much as it has, it's been in some rough conditions to have the paint come off parts of the frame that are covered by skidplates and start to rust. And i'm not saying your lying or that you rolled it, but the windshield on the fairing is not the original one that came with the SE, that just caught my eye, the original has black accents and a picture of a grizzly on it, maybe it just cracked in 500 places like the frame from normal wear and tear though and you replaced it, who knows?

Old 02-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1995 Wolverine I bought new, it has thousands of very hard miles on it, been jumped like a sport quad, raced, duned, and generally overworked for 12 years, and it doesn't look like that on the frame. I'm sorry, I don't mean to call you a liar, but that looks like abuse, or at the very least, very poor care for a quad that new. The amount of miles put on would definately cause wear and tear, but with proper care, it should still look fairly new after only a year or so. I have never heard any Grizzly owners around here ever complain about frame problems.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sayig that your a liar either, but that thing looks like it must have been beat if it got that much rust and dirt under the engine from normal riding. I had an 01 Magnum 325 and I beat it like hell and it still didn't even have that much rust on it and the engine was totally clean. It's kinda scary to see what people can do to their atvs in a year, and as everyone else says, cracks like that don't just appear in your frame with normal riding.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Range Rover

Once you have a break in the frame, it really doesn't take much to get many more. On my 99 Wolverine I had a broken motor mount(to the head) and 7 frame breaks all around the engine cradle. Once that motor can start moving around, it will break the frame all around it.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Boy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]@ That quad is totaled.............this shows how to make $7-8000 go poof in less than 1 year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

Well, If I had seen those pictures without reading the explanation behind them I would say that the ATV in question had been jumped, repeatedly, over its short life most likely with a pretty good load on it while doing so.

Given the story related to us I don't know what to say other than I can see Yamaha's reluctance to cover this under the terms of warranty.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

Who do ya think yall are kiddin? All of the stress cracks are where the crossmembers connect for the footwells and engine crossmembers. When yall JUMP a 600lb utility quad with someone on it, yall will stress crack the frame where the load puts the most weight down on the frame.

So let's think about it. What are the two heaviest things on a utility quad.

1. The engine/transmission.

2. The rider.

Seems like yall got stress cracks in both areas, which definately indicates those two heaviest weight masses coming down hard on the frame. I laugh at the fact that yall think Yamaha will warranty it.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

Just goes to show," If you try to make it idiot proof, someone will just come up with a better idiot."