Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Raptor 660r - Relay Engages But Motor Will Not Turn Over

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 AM
bk1
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Raptor 660r - Relay Engages But Motor Will Not Turn Over

I just purchased a 2003 Raptor 660r and have noticed an issue. Besides not being very easy to start, it is not having a problem with the motor not even turning over.

It is in neutral and when I press the starter button you can hear the relay engage but the starter motor does not even sound like it is turning over.

Additionally, like I mentioned earlier, it starts pretty hard. Once it has warmed up, it runs great and will start easily if it is turned off. Any ideas on that?

Old 07-29-2007, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider

NExt time the relay clicks, but the starter motor doesn't turn, short across the 2 big terminals on the relay with a large screwdriver(you'll get a big spark) and see if the starter motor turns. If so, the relay is worn, and on it's way out.

Re hard starting: make sure your valve clearance is correct. Rappy's get real cranky at start time when the valves are out of adjustment.

Are you warm climate? Shouldn't need choke to start if you are. Have you been trying with and without choke? Which starts easier?

Good Luck!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Could be as simple as a tired battery.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:34 AM
bk1
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

I guess I was just thinking that if it was the battery, that it would start cranking over slower and slower and then eventually not be able to crank it over at all. Does it take a "typical" motorcycle battery?

Do you still think I should try shorting the relay first before buying a new battery?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Mine was good for about three years, once it's no good it won't take a charge at all and you might here a clicking noise but not enough to turn over the crank. Go to your dealer to find out what's the right battery.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bk1

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

I guess I was just thinking that if it was the battery, that it would start cranking over slower and slower and then eventually not be able to crank it over at all. Does it take a "typical" motorcycle battery?

Do you still think I should try shorting the relay first before buying a new battery?

Thanks</end quote></div>

Ummm, which is cheaper? Do you have a charger? Make sure batt is fully charged first.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

My battery was to the point where even after it was charged and started, i couldn't restart it. The battery just didnt charge.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

That's all easiliy recoginizable with a voltmeter. Charge battery thoroughly, remove charger and then measure batt voltage before and then when trying to start. Unlooaded batt voltage should be well above 12V just after charging... 12.5 to 13 typical. When attempting to start, If it falls below 9.5 or so volts, it's the battery. If higher, look elsewhere. Check both directly on the lead battery terminals and then on the cable's lugs. If voltage is less at the cables, remove the the cable connections from the battery, clean all mating surfaces and screws/nuts thoroughly and replace and tighten well.

Often, if the battery's charge is too low or the battery is failing, the relay will 'chatter' instead of just click once.

Batteries can fail immediately at times, without any warning.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:41 PM
bk1
Weekend Warrior

Well, I purchased a new battery yesterday, let it charge overnight and I hooked it up this morning and gave it a try. Pressed the start button.........same thing, the relay clicks when I press the button and that's it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

So, I guess I will try shorting the relay again but that did not seem to do anything last time.

What would you guys look at next?

Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

If shorting the relay does nothing with a good battery, then it is likely a problem with either the starter or the wire leading to the starter.

Assuming the other measurements I suggested were okay, measure voltage at the terminal on the starter while pushing the start button (ignition on, in neutral, of course). If it's less than 10V, do same at both large terminals on the relay. If it's low at the output terminal, but high at the input terminal, its the relay. If it's high at the output terminal, but low at the starter, its the starter wire/connections. If it's high at the starter, it's the starter. If it's low everywhere, its the battery or battery connections, or we need more troubleshooting, or you're using the meter wrong.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2003 Raptor 660r - Relay Engages But Motor Will Not Turn Over