Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine sputters and no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine sputters and no power

My 2001 Wolverine just seemed to loose power the other day while riding. It idles fine but when you throttle up it sputters, backfires, and spits a mist of fuel back out of the carb. Thought it was flooding out, changed the float needle and seat, no help. Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

idk if wolvy's have it but parking brake?

Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedy hit it on the head, the 96 on up Wolverines had the rev limit put into the parking break lever on a little switch. This was to prevent running with the parking brake on and roasting the rotor and caliper ( which I did on my 95, no rev limit,went 2 miles before I smelled the burning brake pads, warped rotor, fried caliper, much money). There seems to be a problem with this switch getting a bad connection, making the quad think the brake is on, so it won't allow you to go above idle, it will sputter, backfire,etc. Check for a wire going to a little plug from the brake on the left handlebar, unplug it and see how it runs. A lot of guys with Warriors and Wolverines have just removed the plug.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found it last night after reading it in some other older posts, it is the parking brake. The thing is junk and hasn't worked since I bought it. I was loading wood in a trailer on a hill and thought I would give it a try. Imagine my surprise when it didn't, so my wife held the brake while I loaded the trailer. Last night after reading the post I went out and looked under the rubber boot that cover the parking brake actuator/lock and the cable was out about an inch. Pushed it in and she runs like a champ again. Great safety feature that work poorly. Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

IMO remove it

Old 12-06-2021, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wolverine sputtering 2001 (mine)

Originally Posted by MNYamaRider
I found it last night after reading it in some other older posts, it is the parking brake. The thing is junk and hasn't worked since I bought it. I was loading wood in a trailer on a hill and thought I would give it a try. Imagine my surprise when it didn't, so my wife held the brake while I loaded the trailer. Last night after reading the post I went out and looked under the rubber boot that cover the parking brake actuator/lock and the cable was out about an inch. Pushed it in and she runs like a champ again. Great safety feature that work poorly. Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!
mine has Two little actuator plugs on left handlebar (black) . Which one did you disconnect or both for issue with parking brake? My parking brake doesn’t work either. I replaced carburetor on mine, drained tank, ethanol free fuel, no help same issue. So frustrating. Mine sputters and pops, it will run somewhat on choke that’s it. Garage kept took care of