Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Better trail tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 PM
ptl
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better trail tire

I'm looking for a better tire for my 07 EPS 700 Griz. What would be the best all around tire. Not looking to slow it down or lose power if I can. I ride on a mix of everything. How about the Holeshot ATR's, Goodyear MS/T"s or the Maxxis Bighorn's...

Old 11-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

I have been doing extensive research for new tires on my Grizzly and after about 3- 4 weeks I am still pretty much undecided I hear many good things about the Maxxis Bighorns. They are very good on the trail, rocks, snow, and are not too heavy if you stick with 25's. With a hard rubber compound they will wear forever. The new Duro Power Grip is the exact same looking tire, but with a lower price. They are both radials which will help your Grizz handle better. The holeshots are a pretty good tire, I have friends who had them and they do well in the snow and trails, less agressive, and fairly close the stock tire weight. The MST's are an interesting thought. They appear to have the wear capabilites of the Bighorns, perform well on trail, snow, and mud better than the Bighorns... I am strongly considering these. From experience I know the Mudlites XL's are a pretty a decent all around tire, but wear out extremely fast if you ride on the road at all. The Mudlite XTR Radials are another very good all around tire that wears well, and does well in the mud. But they are pricey.The Swamplite is another good all around tire, but wear quick if they touch pavement. Executioners are great mud tire, good on trail, but very heavy, and run small, and will wear forever. The Goodyear MT/R is another choice but they have weaker sidewalls, and are 6 ply rated, not truly a 6 ply tire, but perform well on the trails. The new Zilla from Maxxis is another "all around" tire with good trails manners, and very light weight according to their website. But from early reports the rubber compound seems to be softer than the MST's, but may mud a little better. Truthfully you have to decide for yourself the type of riding you do the most of: mud, rocks, hard pack, snow, sand, pavement and judge for yourself which will work the best. As a general rule, the heavier the tire, the longer the wear, the lighter the tire, the shorter the wear.

My buddy swears by the stock Dunlops on his Grizzly, he loves them, and powers thru some unbelievable mud...Go figure. Everyone has an opinion on tires, these are mine, really YOU have to chose one and give them a try. If they work, great, if not sell them on ebay and try something else or wait until they wear out.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
ptl
Weekend Warrior

I see what you buddy is talking about with the stockers. They seem to float good in the mud. This does fit more of my riding style too. Not a bad tire really.

I'm reading so much about the nice smooth ride of the radials. That I'm looking to see if I can get the traction comparable of the stock tire. And the better yet ride of a Radial.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/atv_tires.htm <~~~~Here's a site guy's that has tire's and tells the weight of most tire's I use it to find the rite tire every time i order my tire's I never order from them because of high shipping price's. But anyway's I figured maybe this may help someone and share hope it help's..Jeremy......

Old 11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

Another site to check out is http://www.mudthrowers.com
If you like the tread design of the stock tire and don't want anything agressive the Titan or ITP 489's are a good choice. A 3 ply tire that holds up very well with a smooth ride. Not a mud tire but a good trail and snow tire.
Buck