Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'95 Kodiak Carb Problem (again)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Kodiak Carb Problem (again)

Hello all,

My first post here, I have a '95 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4, was having problems with stumble at higher rpm's, so I bought a Moose carb kit, took it to the local shop and they rebuilt for me.

Now, when I first start it, I get a pop from the front of the carb, so much so, it has put a hole in the rubber intake. After getting good and warmed up, the problem seems to go away, unless going down hill on a steep hill and I might get a pop through the intake..

The unit seems to have plenty of power once warmed up, no stumble and good smooth power band for a full time 4x4 unit. I have adjusted the screw out on the bottom of the bowl, and it did decrease the problem some, but not completely. As I said, the carb had been rebuilt to the correct specs by our local Yamaha shop.

I know I will have to fix the intake tube, but does anyone have any ideas, I am pretty new to ATV's and their little idiosyncrasies and looking to learn.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, by the way, I have been searching for an answer on the web, with very little found.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Kodiak Carb Problem (again)

The popping is a sign of lean. The pilot (idle) jet, may be partially plugged. Id try replacing it, with the next size larger. The number should be stamped on the jet, and the dealer should have the one you need.
Once you install the new pilot jet, the mixture screw will probably need to be readjusted.
Heres a link to a good article on jetting, and it desribes how to set the mixture screw.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.c...carburetion/index.html