Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Warrior 350 performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Warrior 350 performance upgrades

You're right Recon. You will get your power from the higher compression, not from the slight increase in piston size. But you always see the 366 kit advertised and never see any other sizes advertised. Does JE actually make a standard bore 10.5:1 piston? I would go with the standard bore or .20 over if you can.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know they used to make standard bore, you could buy them on albaaction.com. Sucks that they don't have something in between stock and maximum.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wiseco pistons come in all sizes. Maybe that would be a better option. I haven't had any problems with my wiseco and it's a nice improvement over stock. It's lighter than stock as well, so it'll rev up quicker.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I do mainly trail riding. Recon99, you are the main reason I inquired about an oil cooler because I had seen your post about yours and I was thinking about it, as I have been having similar problems with shifting. However, I am past due on an oil change and I have 3 quarts of Lucas Oil 10W30 full synthetic sitting here ready to put in, and a new filter, so I am going to see how that goes; after I put all the upgrades on. Ordered everything save the carb tonight, so we should be in business here pretty soon. Also, still no response on what you all think of going a temp range hotter on the spark plug. Anyone?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd hold up on that oil change. Not everyone agrees on this, but many people think, and I agree on the thought that many automotive oils have additives that will make the wet clutch slip. Some say they use auto oils and have no problems, but for the little bit more that it costs for something designed to be compatible with wet clutches, I don't take the chance. It's your call.

I wouldn't mess with the spark plug. I never experimented with that, but the standard d8ea works fine for me so I don't see a need.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Its a Lucas Motorcycle oil for wet clutches.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: recon99

I'd hold up on that oil change. Not everyone agrees on this, but many people think, and I agree on the thought that many automotive oils have additives that will make the wet clutch slip. Some say they use auto oils and have no problems, but for the little bit more that it costs for something designed to be compatible with wet clutches, I don't take the chance. It's your call.

I wouldn't mess with the spark plug. I never experimented with that, but the standard d8ea works fine for me so I don't see a need.</end quote></div>

So what kind of oil are you supposed to use? I have always used Havoline 10W40 in all my bikes, but ever since I installed the 446 in this one my clutches have always slipped a little. I just installed new clutch plates, friction plates and springs last week and even the new clutches were slipping a little bit. I was pissed I just spent 100 freakin' dollars and that wasn't even the problem! If I go with the correct oil, and my clutches stop slipping this will prove the wet clutch theory.

I guess that answers my question^

Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

10-4. Give that a shot, that may be enough to get it working right for you.

I didn't know lucas even made motorcycle oil. How much $$ did that run you?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Its regular price was $8.99/quart, but the shop I bought it from is going out of business so I got it for 50% off. I ended up paying $14 for all 3 quarts. I am probably going to go ahead and buy another 3 for next time at that price.

EDIT: Also picked up some new Scott grips for $5, and a pair of plugs for $1.25 each

Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Raptor450

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: recon99

I wouldn't mess with the spark plug. I never experimented with that, but the standard d8ea works fine for me so I don't see a need.</end quote></div>

So what kind of oil are you supposed to use? I have always used Havoline 10W40 in all my bikes, but ever since I installed the 446 in this one my clutches have always slipped a little. I just installed new clutch plates, friction plates and springs last week and even the new clutches were slipping a little bit. I was pissed I just spent 100 freakin' dollars and that wasn't even the problem! If I go with the correct oil, and my clutches stop slipping this will prove the wet clutch theory.</end quote></div>

This is a subject that if you ask 10 people, you may get 10 different opinions. From what i've seen, certain oils definitely do cause clutch slippage. Some people will say that it doesn't make a bit of difference. One thing that causes the slippage is oil with moly in it. This additive is supposed to fill in imperfections in surfaces like bearings and such, so it works more smoothly and efficiently. The problem with that is it fills in the friction surfaces on the clutch and makes it slippery. There are other additives that may cause other similar complications. Either way, one thing i'm pretty sure of is any oil that's labeled as "energy conserving" has a bunch of additives in it, and should be avoided. I myself only use oils that are specifically marketed for atv's, motorcycles, and claim to be wet clutch safe. Even cheaper motorcycle oils like valvoline, which sells for around $2.49 a quart, seems to work good for me. Usually I run Silkolene, because it seems to help the transmission shift smoother, and also seems to last longer for me.

The thing that sucks is that often using the wrong oil will render your clutch useless even after you change the oil to something made for wet clutches. When the damage is done, it's done.

What kind of clutch kit did you put in? If I was running a 446 kit, something that puts out crazy torque like that, the only clutch i'd run is a DP. By far the best clutch you can get for a warrior. Expensive, yes, but the'll last forever and never slip.

Quick Reply: 2000 Warrior 350 performance upgrades