Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Being Taxed Right Off Your ATV!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being Taxed Right Off Your ATV!

Okay I have to vent here a little bit. I think after reading this you will not believe it either! This is what happend to my freinds and I after riding this past weekend on a trip to nothern Michigans trails. (1) Get stopped on I-75 by the state boys in an "enforcement zone" with a bunch of other diesel pick up trucks. They were dipping tanks to make sure we did not have offroad diesel in my freinds Dodge Cummins. Mean while they had to run the VIN on everyones quad and check every nit picking detail. They then began to start poking and proding me about my new quad because I only had the temp title and did not have the registration yet (hasn't come in the mail). It's like come on DUDE we are all legal here with no criminal records! We not speeding of doing anything that would make us look suspicious. So one hour wasted there. It was 100% obvious that they are just looking to write tickets! (2) At 10am get stopped by the DNR while trail riding to run all the VIN codes again and this time everyone is given sobriety tests. Another hour of could be good riding wasted! (3) Get stopped twice more that day trail riding by different rangers to check our ORV stickers and exhaust DBs. Another hour wasted!

All of this was just a ploy to write more tickets to raise revenue that doesn't even go back into anything to do with ATV riding or any outdoor program for that matter. I mean look at this ORV registastion costs ($16.25), a state park pass for each ATV is ($24) , ($20) per person per night to camp in a state camp ground, "Per dollar spent" not per gallon gasoline taxes to get there and run the quad. Isn't that enought money to cover our use of the trail already??? WTF!

Now our lovely governer Jenny Granholm is trying to pass a bill to double the trail permit price because the State is broke! I just don't get it! I know for a fact that the Silver Lake Sand Dune Park generates close to a 100 million dollars in pure revenue each year for the state! How can you tax somthing like that even more! This State already has the worst enconomy in the country and now you want more money! That just makes me and everyone else I know just want to leave!

Michigan has some of the best riding you will find but I just doesn't seem like the right way of doing business to just plain tick everyone off!

Does any one else out there live in a State trying is this kinda crap? I just don't see any other way to fight it , besides moving!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

Well im in canada and We dont get That much Kinda **** here , Unless you use the paid trails , and Prittymuch every1 dont use them.

to check and see if you got a hot item check here , this is also helpful for buying a used bike or item:

http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/Englis...301606911216404255544

Why Not Take a Trip Accross the Boarder into canada , if yu wana ride Nearly Hassel Free ?

Thier are lotsa places to ride, Just not advisable on Peoples Lawns . But nearly every 1 wont stop u in the back country.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

It costs $33 for residents here in Maine to ride on any trails in our state, including state trails. This registration is good for one year. I've only been stopped once by the Wardens, they were out looking for some theives. He checked my registration, asked if I had my license, which I didn't because I didn't want to loose it in the woods. Everything was legal, so we went on our way. I've passed them on the trails, they just wave and go on. As long as your not trailblazing or doing something outrageous they usually don't bother us too bad. We have thousands of miles of trails. After reading about how bad it is for some I feel grateful to live in a state that doesn't come down hard on people who just want to enjoy the outdoors. The money ATV's can bring to local economies should be seen as a plus, but treating ATVers like criminals is only going to drive people away from the sport.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well.. the Cops I agree they took it to a limit well beyond normal..

As far as Fees go.. I register my ATV in Both NH and Maine.. I live in Mass, that is a State I will NEVER register my ATV in.... trail system is horrible at best....

Maine $69 per year out of state / NH $73 per year out of State oh.. and NH gets another $63 per year out of state for my Snowmobile registration....

If NH keeps going the way it is.... there won't be much decent riding left in the next few years... but Maine is getting better.. though for the riding I like best.. (technical / rocky trails) it is kinda hard to find good stuff anyhow... I am not into cruising around doing 35-50mph on fire roads just to see how many miles I can rack up in a day's trip.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be happy you can ride state land..In NY everything is off limits but private land..Worst ATV state ever...

Old 07-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

im so glad we dont have ANY of that **** here in tennessee. if it isnt posted,as far as i know you can ride on. they only have to have a spark arrestor on the exhaust.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

I have road on Michigan trails for 30 years and every thing with dnr has ben asked for by people not paying attention to the laws (spark arrestors helmets riding on trails only) so dont whine just be glad we still can ride and get with c.c.c or michigan atvers

Old 07-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Stay out of Virginia, we have ONE 15 mile trail system in the WHOLE state; $5.00 a day 30.00yr sticker. ATV registration required. ATVs are considered property subject to property tax on state and county level.

All REAL riding areas are 6 hrs from me. I'm seriously thinking of moving to Kentucky or Tennessee.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

what political bullshit.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

That sucks! In Oregon, you can ride pretty much anywhere except on paved roads. But, some OHV parks allow you to ride on a "shared" road with cars in order to access the different trailheads. There is no fee for these OHV parks, except for the sand dunes at the coast, which is only like $5 per day. We have to have a permit sticker, which is only $10 for two years. We have no sales tax in Oregon, so I have no idea why Michigan is going broke! No wonder I moved away from there! LOL! Furthermore, the cops never harass us, except maybe the dunes and that's because there are a lot of injuries/fatalities there along with the whole environmental thing. In the mountains where I live the only people you may come across would be the Dept of Forestry and all they really care about is if you are carrying the necessary equipment during the summer to extinguish a fire if one should start. Screw michigan....move to oregon! Much like michigan here, but better! IMO!