Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

i really wish yamaha would have thought the raptor out better

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been reading the raptor threads lately, and noticed that the raptor is not doing good for reliablity! they took 400cc class parts and put them on a 660! what where they thinking? i am not trying to bash, if yamaha had thought to put a stronger, wider axle and a-arms, a beefier cluch, a stronger frame, and a better transmission, i probably would be on the waiting list for one right now! one raptor in the baja broke a frame, and one had the tranny lock up, which isnt all that uncommon! i wish the magazines wouldnt think that every new quad is the greatest. when they did the shootout between the raptor and 400ex, they said the raptor's clutch was bullet proof. the engine isnt that strong as a 660 should be, and yamaha should have just used the otusu radials instead of haveing dunlop come up with a generic copy that didnt silde well. i bet there would be a lot of changed honda guys if yamaha would have done this one right. tell me, am i way off the mark? is it just a few lemons? or is ihatemyraptor right?

Old 02-08-2001, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

I agree.

I would go buy a used 400EX before buying a raptor.

Just my opinion, and I am a big Yamaha fan.

Old 02-08-2001, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think that there is a reliability, design, or quality problem with the Yamaha Raptor 660r. As our dunes around here are still rideable I have been down there quite a bit lately and have run into literally dozens of Raptor riders. Out of everyone I have had conversations with the only problems I have heard of are the result of 'gravity damage'. I'm not saying that these people that come on the forum are lying about having a problem, but most people I run into arent jumping 60 feet either. I weigh 235 pounds and ride very hard. My extent of jumping would be less than 10 feet off dune faces and maybe a 15-20 foot dune drop-off and I haven't had a problem yet. I hope that these reliability problems are isolated incidences and I never do have a problem.
With reliabiltiy aside, whether there is or isn't a problem. I would (no offense intended) DARE you to ride my stock Raptor and not come back with a grin ear-to-ear, the suspension and power is top notch. I think that most people would be on the waiting list for one if they:
A. Had ridden one.
B. Could afford one
c. Hadn't just layed down some serious cash for a 400EX, DS650 etc. (If I had a nice one of these I might not have bought a Raptor)

'01 Blue Raptor '00 Trailblazer '99 Scrambler 400 4x4

Old 02-08-2001, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

i am not saying i wouldnt love to have a raptor, who wouldnt! i am just saying that with all that power, the narowness seems like it is a huge problem. i haven't put any money down on anything. for the extra almost $1000 i can make the 400ex a faster machine. their are always nice 2000 400ex's in the paper here for $4,500, and that is $2,000 less than a raptor! that is the cost of a pro-trax frame! the main reason i am getting the 400ex is because i dont need the speed being a woods rider, and the handeling is much more important to me, thats why i say if they where wider and could slide, i might not be so against them.

Old 02-08-2001, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own both, a 400EX with extensive mods, and a raptor with only bolt on stuff..(bumpers,skids,bars,FMF slip-on)and this is my take. After riding both bikes one after the other,... I believe the 400 will be finding a new
home. And Iam primarily a Honda fan...(so Im keeping the 88 250R)... for the things I find the raptor can't do.

Old 02-08-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I really think people are missing the point. The raptor has done more for this sport than any of you bashing it realize. Now you will see the other mfg's get off their butts and build something comparable to it. By the way you can't buy a new 400ex and put $1,000 into it and run with the raptor. The raptor has more sack stock than you could probably handle anyway. You will never be able to ride it to it's fullest potential. If you could let me know and I'll sponsor you so you can go run with Travis Spader. In closing, buy the 400 ex and spend $1,000 on it, then go run a raptor in a straight line, mx track and in the woods. Then go home and put the 400ex in the local paper for sale.

Chasman
01 blk/wht raptor

P.S.
I tried a modified 400ex before I bought the raptor and wasn't that impressed. Trust me I would have loved to save the $800 difference between the 2 quads.

Old 02-09-2001, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

RideRed,
I'm confused. Exactly what parts do you think they borrowed from a 400cc class machine? I under ithe impression most every part was designed for this bike (except engine/drive parts).

I for one am glad they did not put too wide of an axle. I do tight woods and would never consider a wide axle beast (IE, DS650). This bike is MUCH wider than my warrior already.

Old 02-09-2001, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Chasman,
You said "In closing, buy the 400 ex and spend $1,000 on it, then go run a raptor in a straight line, mx track and in the woods. Then go home and put the 400ex in the local paper for sale."

I hate to tell you, but you are dead wrong about the MX track and the woods racing! You might find that happen with your friends in an amatuer backyard race, but not in the Pro ranks! the pro ranks is when the PRO's can get the most out of the bike, and so far, the 400ex is still on top.

Of the three races you mentioned, the only one you could possibly win would be the straight line event, and even that would not be a cake walk. The first 3 gears are almost a dead heat, the top end is where the Raptor SLOOOOOOOWLY pulls away.

We are not comparing a Corvette against a Yugo here! Sure, the CC advantage of the Raptor sounds staggering, but with decent riders they aren't that far apart, even in the drag race.

Old 02-09-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

I have let 4 people ride my Raptor, result:
1 sandtraxx ported banshee sold
3 400 stock ex's sold
1 440 ex sold modded out.

2 raptors purchased, 3 more on order.
Go figure

Old 02-09-2001, 01:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to talk bang for your buck, strap on a LT500. While people are drooling over raptors for nearly $7,000 the quad with the most horsepower ever offered to the public is going for the dirt under your fingernails. The same goes for the old banshee's...which can be made untouchably fast. I bought a quadracer 500 for $900 that has a fmf pipe and a stock worn out piston. I can nice and sweatly slide away from a raptor and have enough power left over to test out the grab bar. I can still afford a nice tow vehicle too!

Quick Reply: i really wish yamaha would have thought the raptor out better