Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee out of control! Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WaaHeHe94
Your Banshee looks like it is launching hard and the wheelie job is definately doing its job by keeping your front end on the ground.After watching your video several times I can't figure out why you are losing control after you get moving.Do you know if the ground is rutted out at the starting line or maybe you are jerking the bars without realizing it?

I've only drag raced on dirt a couple of times, 99% of the time I dragrace on asphault because there is an IHRA and NHRA track within 45 minutes of me that allow ATV's to race, one of them even has a points dragrace each year for ATV's.

A longer swingarm would help you keep the front end down, but that is what your wheelie bar is doing right now.Tire selection usually just helps you get traction, which you may or may not have a problem with, without knowing what your 60 foot time is it would be hard to tell if you have a traction problem.Lowering an ATV seems to always help when racing also.Always launch in first gear though, because if you can get it to hook and launch straight you want to be using all of your power.Most races are usually won or lost in the first 60 feet.

Here's a video of me racing my 99 Sport at the track
YouTube - Elk Creek Dragway 04/24/09

Here's a picture of my 60 year old father launching the Sport at the same track.Notice the rear slicks wrinkling and the front end staying planted on the ground.I'm on the YFZ450 racing beside him.
jacobsphoto : photos : Elk Creek Dragway 5/09/09- powered by SmugMug
What do you need to run a quad at a drag strip? do you need street tires and full protective gear?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

depending on the terrain and how your bike runs, gearing and stuff, yes it sometimes is better to launch in second specially on banshees, youll get a faster pull off the line being in second gear, sometimes even on the warrior i make second gear launches depending on the terrain.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Range Rover

It depends on the track and the sanctioning body as to what safety equipment you will need and their specific rules as to how the ATV should be set up.The IHRA and NHRA tracks that I race at only require a helmet, boots or shoes and long sleeved shirt (except for the NHRA track and it requirs a leather coat for 1/8th mile passes).I would suggest checking with the track before you go.

If you launch in 2nd gear then you are not using all of your available power.Most drag races are won or lost in the first 60 feet.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

on some bikes yes it is better to take off in second, if your bike is setup for only drag racing then no you usually shouldnt have to take off in second, if your drag racing on asphalt then definitely not, but on some bikes,definitely banshees 2nd gear launches specially in grass work alot better, all depends on gear ratios and terrain, warriors are also 6 speeds so i know with mine it usually launches much better in second, with some of the 5 speeds it is usually better to just launch in first but it just depends, racing in sand is another instance, some people launch in 2nd or even 3rd...heres some people talking about gearing and launching in second gear if your not believing me...

Banshee Gearing! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Sprocket Gearing? - Banshee HQ Forums

Old 06-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Range Rover

If your at a track dragracing then I would suggest comparing your timeslips against your runs with 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear launches.If your track shows 60 foot times then you might be in for a surprise.I race with several different Banshee's that are modified and I've never seen any of them launch in anything other than first gear on dirt or asphault.It's all about learning how to use your clutch, throttle and body english to control your ATV.

My two ATV's are mainly setup for racing in the local ATV Rodeo's (flattrack style timed events) which is why both of them are wider than stock, lowered and have sway bars.When I dragrace them all that I do is change the rear wheels and tires, put on the wheelie bar and change the gearing.I'm sure that I could be faster and lighter with a drag only setup, but I race them in two different style events.

Here's a couple of Banshee's that I race against in the ATV Rodeo's.Both of them take off in first gear on the dirt and don't have any issues.I don't think that either one of them ever gets out of second gear during the event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWtU4YXKUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb_thzFj948

Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

If your at a track dragracing then I would suggest comparing your timeslips against your runs with 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear launches.If your track shows 60 foot times then you might be in for a surprise.I race with several different Banshee's that are modified and I've never seen any of them launch in anything other than first gear on dirt or asphault.It's all about learning how to use your clutch, throttle and body english to control your ATV.

My two ATV's are mainly setup for racing in the local ATV Rodeo's (flattrack style timed events) which is why both of them are wider than stock, lowered and have sway bars.When I dragrace them all that I do is change the rear wheels and tires, put on the wheelie bar and change the gearing.I'm sure that I could be faster and lighter with a drag only setup, but I race them in two different style events.

Here's a couple of Banshee's that I race against in the ATV Rodeo's.Both of them take off in first gear on the dirt and don't have any issues.I don't think that either one of them ever gets out of second gear during the event.
YouTube - Anderson barrel race
YouTube - P Nut barrel race

k, not arguing this anymore, you dont understand when i say "sometimes" it is better on some certain "terrain", believe what you want, explain why when i ride a banshee and even my warrior on grass terrain why does it launch out of the hole alot faster? is it just a false feeling?even though i have compared it many times most recently against a cr450f and even though ive been riding since i could walk.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

I'm sure that you believe that you are giving accurate information based on what you have read other people say and have experienced yourself, but go to a legitimate dragstrip with timers and compare your 60 foot times with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear launch.Traction is traction, doesn't matter if you're racing on dirt, sand or asphault.

I've ridden ATV's a couple of times myself and even been in one or two races.I guess that we will have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Here's a timeslip from my Polaris Sport in the 1/8th mile earlier this year.I'm the slow time (had to let out way early because I ran out of gear), the 7.18 was run by a Honda CBR900 street bike.I dragrace in an ATV class once a month and every other weekend in the motorcycle class at an IHRA track.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure that you believe that you are giving accurate information based on what you have read other people say and have experienced yourself, but go to a legitimate dragstrip with timers and compare your 60 foot times with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear launch.Traction is traction, doesn't matter if you're racing on dirt, sand or asphault.

I've ridden ATV's a couple of times myself and even been in one or two races.I guess that we will have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Here's a timeslip from my Polaris Sport in the 1/8th mile earlier this year.I'm the slow time (had to let out way early because I ran out of gear), the 7.18 was run by a Honda CBR900 street bike.I dragrace in an ATV class once a month and every other weekend in the motorcycle class at an IHRA track.
you keep talking about drag racing on the IHRA track and....im not talking about that one bit, yea your right traction is traction...what kinda traction are you gonna get say in sand with say a 90hp banshee with haulers on the back with a first gear launch? not much depending on the gear ratio...first gear will just be a quick blip and the back tires will snap so quick due to the short gearing that your bike isnt going to lunge forward as much if it was taller gearing/2nd gear launch to stay in the power range and also i doubt i ever will take an atv on the drag strip specially in a competition id much rather be racing in the trails like it was meant for, maybe one day you will take a ride on say a banshee on a drag race somewhere else then an asphalt track and go to take off in first gear and then compare it in second then...if you can launch right with it being in second tell me that its not a better launch,i wish i could come to your house and just show you and you could experience it for yourself, then see if you will argue still, facts are facts, also ima make sure you understand that ONLY SOMETIMES IT IS BENEFICIAL TO TAKE OFF IN SECOND GEAR, not always, so many variables...tires/rider weight/bike weight/terrain/gear ratio/bikes power curve/rider experience/weather just a few, your just not understanding what im saying...

Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

you guys are silly.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Range Rover

I'm at Elk Creek Dragway (Home) every other weekend (actually they are having an ATV points race next friday night) and at most of the 4 Wheeler Shootouts that they sponser.Also race at Bristol Dragway (Bristol Dragway) on occasion and most of the county fairs in Southwest Va during the summer and fall.

Not meaning to get you all bent out of shape talking about traction, just trying to give the poster of this thread some ideas for drag racing his Banshee and share some of my own experiences with my ATV's and video's of guys that I race with.I've also drag raced on dirt a couple of times, it's just that asphault racing is more popular in my area than the dirt drags are.The main reason for that is that the dirt drags in my area only give out trophy's and the IHRA track pays out money.Would you rather win a plastic trophy and have to clean mud off of your ATV or win $200 for 1st place or $100 for 2nd place plus a trophy and have to wipe a few bugs off of your ATV?

Every time that I've raced in dirt I've always launched in 1st gear on my YFZ450.Throttle control and working the clutch are critical to a getting a good start.Heck I wish that everyone that I race with thought like you do and would take off in 2nd or 3rd gear....then I could leave my nitrous bottle at home

Quick Reply: Banshee out of control! Please help.