Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone put an Edelbrock/other carb on a 660 Grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Malachi
If you've cleaned the carb completly then the seafoam won't help the carb. It might clean some carbon build up inside the head though, so worth a shot.

The 660 motors are known for the intake valve clearance to tighten up, especially the center valve. Adjust the valves and I bet your starting issues will be solved.

Kevin R. had a good idea also. A $5 pilot jet is alot better than buying a new carb. Your stock jet should be a 40. Try a 42.5. The aftermarket carb will still have to be tuned correctly for your area to start and run right.

Also I see alot of people cranking the choke all the way over to start the bike. Most of the time you can get away with 1/2 choke or less if it's jetted correctly.

Yes, we will have to take a look at the valve adjustment, as we have been neglecting that. I understand the adjustment is a real bear (no pun intended) on this engine.

The pilot jet idea is a good one. I will try that as well.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Here this might help you with that valve adjustment!
http://www.moddedraptor.com/library/...E%20MANUAL.pdf

Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Dodge!

That's great! As soon as the weather breaks a bit I will give that a shot.

BTW, anyone know what all the different letters mean behind the "660"?

For example, mine is a "YFM660FR". I know there are several variations, but I don't believe I ever knew what all the variations stand for.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I'm not sure of the letter but know that the Raptor was a twin carb setup whereas the Grizz was a single. This prob has something to do with it.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

I just thought of something else. What is a good fuel filter to use on the Griz? Since there is limited space in the petcock area, I thought maybe someone has a fav. filter they use that fits in the line perfectly.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Range Rover

The intake valves are pretty easy to get too on these motors. Just have to remove the tank and the cover under the tank. Specs should be on the airbox lid if the sticker is still there. Definatly check these before you toss money at it.

The exhaust valves are different story, but I haven't seen many of them off by much. Best way is to remove the front tires and think small.

Inline filters that I use on most bikes are about 3/4"- 1" round see thru plastic, with a stainless screen inside. Get it as close to the carb as possible.
They are just throw aways but are cheap and seem to work well. Any cycle dealer with a parts department should have them in stock.