Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How long should it take to install an axle on a Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 04:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long should it take for the dealer to install an X-33 axle on a Raptor?

Old 02-28-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

It should not take any longer than an hour....but they will probaly charge you two or three. I recently put my Eliminator on and there is really not a lot to it.

Old 02-28-2001, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

1 hour if longer they are taking yoo many break's

Old 02-28-2001, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

It's super simple.. You could do it yourself in less than 30 minutes.

Here are the steps. A floor jack would come in handy when you get the wheels/hubs off.

1) Remove both wheel hubs with the large single nut on both ends of the axle.

2) Loosen the 2 stock axle nuts.

3) Remove the brake caliper (2 bolts if I remember correctly) last, you may need to use the brake in order to stop the axle to take care of steps 1 or 2.

4) Loosen chain and remove it from the rear sprocket.

5) Pull old axle out of the left side being careful not to mess up the bearings or seals in the axle carrier.

6) Take the sprocket off of the old axle and put it onto the new one.

7) Reassemble.

This list may not be all-inclusive. If I missed any steps, someone feel free to point them out.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

bash, I just put a LS axle in my Raptor last week or so, and I didn't take my chain or sprocket off at all! You don't have to do this. I started to when I noticed that once you take the axle nuts off that the whole thing just slid right out no problem. And then I just slid the new one in. The sprocket and chain never moved. Hope this helps. Also BlurReptile, I think you should do it yourself and save some $$$. It's wasy easy, just get a couple of large pipe wrenchs for the axle lock nuts and she's easy as pie from there!

Old 02-28-2001, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

Thanks all for the useful tips. All I got to do is find my pipe wrench now. I noticed the locknut that came with the X-33 is facing the opposite direction (outward). I guess this is the Banshee setup and needs to be turned around.

Old 03-01-2001, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

bartman,

I just mean if he wanted to re-use the sprocket, he's going to have to take the sprocket off sometime. Also, that's why I specified taking it off of the rear sprocket, because you can just leave it on the front.

Old 03-01-2001, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

How does every one like their axles?
I have a chance to get a 2+2 eliminanator for 269.99, is that a good deal, and is it worth it seat of the pants wise?
Thanks,
Drew

Old 03-01-2001, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Grab it you won't be sorry
performance wise and price wise

Old 03-01-2001, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

The lonestar axle took 20min. to install with air tools. First loosen the axle locknuts then raise the rear end of the machine with a jackstand, remove the rear wheels, remove the rear hubs, remove the axle locknuts, tap the end of the axle with a rubber mallet and it will slide right out. Everything else (sprocket hub, rotor hub) will stay in place. I would recommend using never seize or at least some grease on the new axle splines before installing it. Then slide the new axle through and bolt everything back up. Use some locktight on the axle locknuts if you don't have a locking axle nut.

Quick Reply: How long should it take to install an axle on a Raptor?