Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2005 Kodiak 450 Carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Kodiak 450 Carb questions

Hey guys I was having a problem with my Kodiak a while back, I bought a Shindy carb kit for it. I then decided to bring it to the dealer. They found the float level was off (lean) they adjusted it to spec and put the rest of the Shindy kit in it since I gave it to them and the carb was open. Since then my Kodiak has run great, very smooth power. The only thing I notice is when it is idling it slightly surges very small for a second like every 10 seconds. Is this normal?

I have a 2" turn down tip on it which the dealer said wont affect anything. I am assuming the Shindy kit came with the same size pilot jet and main jet as my stock Kodiak kit. I know the stock main jet is 131.3 and pilot jet is 17.5. My A/F screw is a tad less then 2 turns out (dealer set) and they checked the valves also and said they were right in spec. The machine has 1,300 miles on it and about 200 hours. It does and also has smelled a bit rich (I've heard this is normal).

Also my elevation is about 600Ft above sea level. Does all the information I am giving seem right? I just want to make sure everything seems like it is running right. I just also cleaned the air filter and re oiled slightly. Does anyone think the idling is anything to worry about or just leave it. Like i said everything else runs great? Does my A/F screw sound right. One more thing my plug on the tip is chocolate brown half way down then slight black the rest of the way to the ring, the porcelain is brownish and the base is all light black soot. How does the spark plug sound? Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for reading this entire thing if you got this far.