Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YZ 125 agianst my raptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taps on my head huh? I made the statement because it is true.I am involved in both Dirt Bikes and ATVs and have taken the time to educate myself on both disciplines.I know its not what the ATVer wants to hear and lots of you will vehemently disagree while having no expierience, but MX bikes are made with power #1 with no thought to creature comforts, even the 80s are serious racers.Both The Raptor and Banshee have P to W ratios in the high 10 to 11s and an 80 cc bike weighs 143 pounds and produces 20HP which puts it in the 7s.Like I said an MX bike is a serious race machine and i KNOW that all MXers even 80s will beat a Raptor or Banshee in a straight line drag race.Done Tapping?

Old 03-23-2001, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

You have to admit, there is something to be said for power-to-weight ratios. However, it is not always the saving grace. For instance, a 250cc shifter-cart has the same power-to-weight ratio as an Indianapolis race car, but the race car will blow away the shifter-cart. I do believe the 80 has a greater power-to-weight ratio than a Banshee, but I "personally" feel the Banshee would win. I hope I stated this w/o insulting anyone?

Old 03-23-2001, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

Let me clear everything up guys, a banshee stock vs a yz125 stock the banshee will win, banshee vs yz250 both stock the yz250 will get it by about 4 lenghts in a drag, a banshee with pipes and air box lid off vs a yz250 stock the banshee will beat it in top end but the yz250 will still get the holeshot on it, a banshee with pipes and air box lid off vs a yz250 with a pipe that drag would be a dead even one at the end.

Old 03-23-2001, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

You know how to settle this is to have Travis Spider race Jeremy Mcgrath. Mcgrath win. And there is no way a Raptor will beat a GNC quad on MX. So if Spider losses its not that its under powered.

Old 03-23-2001, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

well
I am 15, so I might not have as much as knowledge as the older guys, but I had a blaster and raced mx and beat a raptor everytime. they are just not a mx quad. I think a 125 will kill the rator. it will take of faster and when it hits the first turn and to the straight away the raptor wont be close enough. I sold my blaster and got a cr250 and right now a raptor could beat me. I can't ride to good. it is hard to switch from a timid yet quick blaster to a 250 monster.

I just think a 125 will beat a raptor depending on rider ability. That big 4 stroke thumper just doesnt have what it takes to be a mx'er. Compare the sound of it to a 400ex. 400 sounds stronger. I think the sound of it just turns me away from it.

Old 03-23-2001, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

GaryManilow
I think you never rode a piped banshee, thats for sure. I raced a piped CR125 in a sandy motocross circuit thats very fast. I just dusted that cr 125. It was like raceing a 400ex with a my shee(joke). Really, piped banshee will win against a piped cr125.

Old 03-24-2001, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

Oh guys, I have also driven a KTM SX250. They are crazy fast. I also drove my friends brand new 2000 banshee. From the seat of the pants feel.....i think the stock KTM would kick it's a$$. Well maybe not that bad, but by atleast 8 to 10 quad lengths. Now, when i was reading all yalls(yes im from Texas) post...I remembered that the guy with the banshee had raced my friend with the KX125. Well there both average riders, but the banshee did beat it pretty bad....well..about 7 to 9 quad lengths. Ok that's all i have for now. later guys.

Old 03-24-2001, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

I was not stating anything about rider ability, Some of my DB friends are very very good riders. I simply stated that when I race them on fire roads or trails, I win. This may be because I have 2 tires to roost them with (keep em off your tail!) or because I can corner faster than they can. I looked into what basic HP requirements would be, for my banshee at 80mph with me on it, I should need about 42hp, Same setup but lacking 100lbs of bike I would need 36hp. Bikes generally do get an ATV off the line, But it takes a fast bike to hang with a banshee.. (yes yes, I know I stated that HP is not how fast a machine will go, I am excluding the other factors in the equation to show that 100lbs of weight is not that big of a difference)

Old 03-24-2001, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, I have a little experience in this category. Unless you are one heck of a rider, and he sucks, you will get KILLED! My friend just got a CR125, and he kicks my butt on an MX track. I'm not the best rider on quads, and he's just now getting back into bikes. A stock Banshee has 38HP at the crank, and a CR125 has 32 I believe.. Considering the Power to Weight Ratio, the speed top speed would be VERY close, and the bike will get there ALOT faster than the quad. On his MX track, we have cut an oval out, and it consists of a 30ft double, left hand turn, then a 40ft. table top, then another left hand turn. I am ALOT better at left's than right's, and he kills me in the corners. I can keep up in the straights and jumps, but in corners, he leaves me. I'm just comparing my Banshee to his stock CR, not your Raptor to a YZ.. Also, I'm not tryin 2 **** people off, i'm just stating my person experiences! Oh yeah, on an open track, with nothing but single jumps, we ran exact same lap times! DEPENDS ON THE TRACK AND THE RIDER

Old 03-26-2001, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

Man I hate to admit this but your right. This weekend I had a drag race against a YZ80, and well the results are not what I hoped for. Although I was able to beat him. He was right there with me, until we reached top speed, and then I slightly passed him. Give me a break, I could beat a YZ80 running on one cylinder. This is why I can't stand these posts.

Quick Reply: YZ 125 agianst my raptor