Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I fully realize that I could have avoided any belt problems by buying a Honda, or any other manual transmission ATV. All of the problems I am currently experiencing are a direct result of my hard riding and a period last summer when I had some family problems and the Grizz was my way of venting my anger. I was very hard on her, and paid little or no attention to mainentance. My family problem has been resolved and now the Grizzly problems are showing up. I am getting what I deserve.

Now to the rest of the Grizzly owners out there.

The belt has started slipping on my 2000 Grizzly. It currently has about 1,000 miles on it. The slippage is not total slippage from water that prevents any forward movement, but "dry" slippage. If I put my thumb into the throttle when the Grizzly is in a tight spot, such as climbing out of a steep creek, or driving over a large log, or digging into thick mud, a very audible "screech" comes from the belt drive housing. It stops immediately if I let off the throttle.

I recently replaced my stock tires with 27x10x12 and 27x12x12 Carlisle Swamp Pros. These tires grip so much more than the stock tires, it is often easier to slip the belt than turn the tires.

I took the cover off of the belt housing. I used an old micrometer to measure the width of the belt at 31mm, which I believe is right in the middle of the recommended 30-32mm. The belt appears to be in good condition. I have read previous posts where Grizzly belts have slipped due to leaking oil seals. The inside of the housing is totally dry.

The housing has taken on water before, mostly las summer. The entire surface of the inside of the housing, including the pulleys are covered with a fine layer of dust that is very fine like brake dust. I believe this may be the remains of mud and water taken on last summer.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, or have any recommendations? I want to try cleaning the housing to remove the dust, but not effecting the grease inside the V-groove pulley. Is there any way to "tighten" the belt? Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for sticking with this long post.

Yammer_Hummer

Old 04-05-2001, 12:48 AM
Range Rover

Yammer_Hummer,

I don't know much about the grizzly, but most posts for Polaris quads recommend a goodyear power streak belt. The dust is the remains of the current belt. It is very similar to a snowmobile.

You should consider replacing the belt and brushing out the dust from the cover. They are fairly inexpensive(30-40 for a polaris), and will help on top end.

Rainman

Old 04-05-2001, 11:18 AM
Range Rover

The problem you are talking about is fairly common when you put bigger tires on the griz. that dust and dirt gets into the sides of the belt and interferes with the contact spot. you can change it and it'll go away for a while and come back later. it's handling more torque than before with the bigger tires. I like my grizz alot but i believe that yamaha should have had a 40 to 50% lower ratio in low range. the belt squeak problem wouldn't show up and those big tires would be easier to turn in deep thick mud.

Old 04-08-2001, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Yammer Hummer

I to have a Grizzly with big biscuits, on rare occassions it will leave out a screech that will make your socks roll up and down. This almost always happens under harsh loads. If you are digging through deep mud use low range. the width of your belt seems to be up to spec. and should not be a problem. Just remember that 600 develops a huge amount of torqe and when you unleash all that torque on those big tires in deep mud something is going to maybe slip or screech like hell every now and again. As long as this is only and occasional thing I would not get to worried about it. My Grizzly has 3000 miles on it and I run the snot out of it.

Hope everything stays cool with the familly. HAMBONE

Old 04-10-2001, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

Hambone,

I usually ride my Grizzly pretty hard also, of course everyone has a different view of what "hard" riding is. The belt started making the sound before the new tires, but of course got worse after they were mounted. The noise I can get used to, but so far my instinct has been to let off the throttle completely when the sound starts. I was afraid I might burn the belt to the point that it wouldn't move. I know about the problem, so I have been shying away from some hills, and some of the mud. I haven't purchased a new belt yet. I want to ride this weekend, but I am waiting for a housing gasket. I plan to clean the inside of the housing and the belt somehow before then. I figured I might as well while I had the cover off. I don't know how much a new belt will help, but I don't have $91.00 left for a belt after buying a new tie rod end, brake pads all around, trailer hitch, new K&N filter and the housing gasket. I can get an aftermarket belt for around $40, but I don't know exactly where. I would need to take the belt off and match it by size. I don't have a manual, and am not even certain of how to take the belt off.

Thanks for the feedback,

Yammer_Hummer

Old 04-10-2001, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

One advice : stay away from "cheap" aftermarket belts.
On our VMax4 sled, we've had the yamaha belt for at least 2 seasons, and decided its time was done. I was just getting old, and we didn't want to change the belt in the middle of nowhere by -20C. We put the aftermarket belt we had bought, and kept the old one as spare. The aftermarket toughed 1 little ride. It got ripped to pieces on a normal little powder ride. I have put the old yami belt...and no prob since then.