Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rider down! Friend of mine hurt in quad accident!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I posted to all of yall I was going to the track this Fri night. Before we went me and 2 of my friends were doing some last minute testing on a rural paved road near our house.One of my friends who has a Banshee was racing me on my Raptor and was trying to decide which sprocket combo he was going to run. My other frinnd was on his 440ex while we were racing. Me and the friend on the Banshee were lined and preparing to race from a 1st gear punch, there was about a quads space between us and apparently my friend on the EX was unawhare that we were about to race,this in mind he was going to ride a wheelie between us, about the time he got close to me and the guy on the Shee, we punched it and in doing so closed whatever avaliable space he had to work with, his right rear cliped my left rear and caused him to bounce into the other guy on the Shee,frined on the Shee hit the brakes hard at which time the guy on the EX began to flip,both quad and him,he did a complete flip and landed on his back, quad began a series of about 6 complete flips and ended up landing in a ditch about 20 feet off the road,I had to hit the braked hard to keep from running him over,luckily I had my cell phone and called another friend who took him to the ER, he enede up with 14 stitches in the back of his head, a broken wrist,and a s*itload of road rash all over his back. Yeah, I know, he should have had his skullcap on, but he didnt. But anyhow, thats how it went down,MORAL: Wear your Helmet.
and think before you attempt to ride a wheelie between 2 moving quads.
Oh yeah,the EX fired right up, but still sustained a bent axle,hub, wheel, bent the he11 out of a set of FMF 909s,crushed the front plastic, headlights included and tore the "R" off of a Korn sticker that was on the front fender.

Old 04-08-2001, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Add to the moral:

Don't ride on pavement on a vehicle which has a fixed rear axle.

Don't race unless everyone around you knows what you're doing.

This is a common occurrence for riders with not much saddle time. Most of these types of accidents happen with male riders under 25 years of age who have owned the ATV less than 2 years (check the Hirt report, 1998).

I'm sorry your buddy was injured - It could have been much worse.

Old 04-08-2001, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

what exactly is a "fixed rear axle" and why is it bad to ride on pavement with one

Old 04-08-2001, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Take your standard rear axle quad on the pavement and do a slow sharp turn. Both rear tires are turning at the same speed thus forcing one to either rub/slide on the pavement or lift in the air. On a car only one wheel does the pushing.

Do this turn a little faster and you risk flipping over. The inner wheel can not "slip" like on dirt or loose terrain.

Hope this helped.

Old 04-08-2001, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pam,
great job girl!Im happy to see you post it as it really is.And new riders WONDER why im a strict advocate of the ASI 4 hr safety course REGARDLESS of age?We ATVers CANT keep filling up the ER rooms with ATV accident victims.It just gives the Consumer Product Safety Commision more reason to set more strict guidlines on ATVs,
Bill

Old 04-08-2001, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he comes out of this okay and wiser.

How does youe raptor do against the Banshee and 440ex? Can the 440ex keep up with you?

Old 04-08-2001, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

I didnt say that his actions were right or wrong, Im just telling it like it happened. Do you think a saftey calss would have prevented this? If you think that the saftey clases are designed to actually reduce ATV accidents then I have some land to sell you in Florida. Do you really think that seatbelt laws are persued to reduce injury in car accidents or would it be another reason that the goverment can get an extra $75 from you.I am so glad that you "experienced" riders let me know the real reson that the crash happened,because I was wondering. If you call yourself a ATV rider then apparently you are a unsafe person to begin with, because you have to accept the fact that if you ride ATVs long enough you will have a accident regardless of how careful or how many goverment mandated saftey clases you take part in.

Old 04-08-2001, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

The 440 is set up for flattrack, so it really isnt a equal comparison, but I cant lie, the 440 is strong, we are about equal through the first 3 gears then I barely begin to pull him, when both quads are topped out I am running about 4 mph faster than him, his quad tops out at about 75 mph, and that is with a 15/38 gear combo. The Banshee is pretty stock,pipes and filters and it is about the same as my Raptor on pavement, but on dirt, well, I think you know the story.

Old 04-08-2001, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

Just one word comes to mind "stupidity" !!!!

Old 04-08-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Now come on MTNMAN, you have never done anything just a little stupid out on the trails?

Quick Reply: Rider down! Friend of mine hurt in quad accident!