Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR CARBS (NEED INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember all the old topics about the carbs blowing off, but I never really worried about it until mine blew off yesterday. I was just wondering if anyone found out the reason why this was happening. I think I might need my valves adjusted? any info on this topic would help. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2001, 03:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Lets see...which senario was it?
1)you start the engine and hit the gas and they pop off
2)you slow down for a curve and hit the gas again and they pop off.

Have you removed the silencer baffle/air box snorkle? This makes the lean idle circuit/poor idle circuit fuel distribution problem worse (let it idle a while and look at the plug..yep..looks good on one side and very white on the other).

Have you adjusted the idle rpm down? This makes things worse too.

The fix? get some fatter pilot jets.
This was the only thing to fix my problem after trying:
1) taking the spacers out of the clamps and tightening the heck out of them
2) loosening the air box and moving it forward
3) adjusting the valves
4) checking the rpm limiter that operates with the parking brake.
5) cussing knobby (the guy that designed the Raptor)
Good luck....if you need someone to talk you through the process of installing the pilots, feel free to contact me.

Old 04-10-2001, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I'm having my valve adjusted on monday, which I probably need to do that anyway. If I keep having this problem I'll get in contact with you about the pilot jets. Sorry you couldn't make it to the trails at hatfield on the 31st. We had a pretty good time, the weather sucked though. Thank again. later

Old 04-10-2001, 04:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yea...any other time I would'nt have had any trouble whatsoever finding the time to do some riding...but of course, it never fails when something big is planned.
Did you guys ride Bear Wallow and Rock house? How was the riding in your opinion?...besides wet!
This past sunday was awesome riding weather...all except for a bunch of gullies created by water runoff on some small climbs....gotta get some taller tires or ride faster...

Old 04-10-2001, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

we rode bear wallow on fri. and rock house sat. The trail were pretty fun, I think i hit every single rock possible though, bent the he** out of my skid plates. still had a good time though. I personally like Wayne Nat. better, but they were still good trails. I guess from what people were saying in WV that their suppose to really expand hatfield. I just posted a topic in the where to ride section about going to Wayne, You should come on up. Have you ever been there?

Old 04-11-2001, 01:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Never been there...how would you compare the riding to bear wallow?
Did you guys climb any of the coal slag hills just off the trail in a spot or 2? A couple are HUGE.

Old 04-11-2001, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

We climbed a couple of the ones around the right side, didn't even think of trying to climb the real steep one right in front, didn't feel like getting hurt!! Compared to wayne it was kinda the same in some spots. The reason I like wayne Is because there's alot of little jumps along the trail, + they have alot of the corners banked so you can fly around them. In some places there's alot of ruts from 4X4's and bikes, but those are always fun obsticles. Wayne has a pretty good varity of everything, hills, jumps, ruts, fast trails, technical trails, ect... you'll have to at least try it once, if not this month maybe some other time, Just let me know, me and my friends probably go down there at lease once a month all the way until they close in december. At least we try to.

Old 04-12-2001, 10:47 AM
Range Rover

OK....TWICE I HAD MY CARBS BLOW OFF THE MOTOR...WHAT SIZE PILOT JETS DID YOU USE TO SOLVE THE CARBS BLOWING OFF PROBLEM...AND DID YAMAHA INFORM YOU OFF THIS SOLUTION...WITH MY RAPTOR BEING A MONTH OLD IT'S TIME FOR ME TO GET THE VALVES ADJUSTED...BUT IT'S SEEM TO ME THAT YOU HAVE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK AND FOUND A SOLUTION...PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT SIZE PILOT JETS TO USE...THANKS FOR THE THREAD...HERBDON OUT...

Old 04-12-2001, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

OK...JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH MY YAMAHA DEALERSHIP...THE MECHANIC CALLED YAMAHA DIRECT AND THIS IS THE SCOOP ON THE CARB BLOWING OFF PROBLEM...APPARENTLY YAMAHA KNOWS ABOUT THE QUOTE UN QUOTE "KRONIC" PROBLEM...THEY ARE WARRANTEEING AND SENDING NEW PARTS....NEW INTAKE BOOTS, O-RINGS, CLAMPS, AND HAVE NEW SPECIFICATION FOR CARB SETTINGS....THE CARBS SETTINGS ARE IN ORDER...YAMAHA STATED THAT THE STOCK SETTINGS ARE A LITTLE TOO LEAN AND IT;S CAUSING SMALL BACKFIRES...WITH THE POORLY DESIGNED INTAKE BOOTS, ORINGS AND CLAMPS THE RAPTOR BLOWS THE CARBS OFF THE INTAKE BOOTS....SO IF YOU HAVE A NEW 2001 RAPTOR AND STILL UNDER WARANTEE...TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALERSHIP...AND TELL THEM TO CALL YAMAHA DIRECT AND YAMAHA WILL FIX IT FOR FREE....HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS WITH THIS PROBLEM....HERBDON OUT....

Old 04-18-2001, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

I have the same problem, I called the dealer, the mechanic knows of the problem, too...one of the dealership employees has the same problem. He said he would fix it under warantee, but one problem, the part I need (the right side carb boot, mine tore open from the backfire)is backordered. Has anyone heard this from their dealer? I can't ride until then. HELP!

Quick Reply: RAPTOR CARBS (NEED INFO)