Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor660R/Banshee350Twin

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one of thes quads are better for trails,wood,jumpimg,shortdrags? I'm talking all stock for reliability. This is my opinions. Banshee/no bottom end/mix gas/chain adj./no reverse/nice mid range/ 6 speed.Is this faster than the raptor? Raptor/Reves through the gears too fast/alwayslooking for 6th gear/wheelies to easy/front shocks to soft/ The Raptor feels like a better woods machine and trail. But the Banshee feels like the better in drag races. I don't know about the track. If anybody has any track or drag time comparison please respond.

Old 04-11-2001, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

I raced 2 99' banshee's this last weekend and both of them were fairly built up, they both had pipes, the one had different read valves and boost bottle, filter, along with some porting work, I beat both of them by about 20-30 feet each time we raced on a hard dirt 300 foot track. My raptor is bone stock, I am 6'4 and 190 pounds. the other guys weighed about the same. the temp outside was around 80 degrees.

Old 04-11-2001, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

a friend of mine races a 250r ina motocross class in ohio and there was 22 quads in it this past weekend and there was banshee's and 400ex's and other 250rs in this class and 1 raptor in this class and it came in dead last

Old 04-11-2001, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jeff,
Im not sure what Jeep is smoking, but a stock Raptor will NOT beat a piped Banshee, much less a ported one. Dont get me wrong, I would probably take a stock raptor over a stock banshee at this point, but the simple fact is that unless the Banshees were either poorly tuned or the riders were simply not able to ride the banshees like they need to be ridden, a stock Raptor will not win this drag race. You wanted the truth, you got the truth!!!!

RoostKing...

Old 04-11-2001, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

hey RoostKing, did you fail to read the part that it was a 300 foot drag strip? or did u miss that part?

Old 04-11-2001, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Jeep, although I laughed at his first post.
300 feet is real short (drags seem always too short on banshes), and he didn't have time to take back what the Raptor had gained out of the hole.
If the surface is like gravel, just by nailing the gas and leanin back, I'll spin until 4th...uh. I always try to influence competitor to find a LONG drag race. I'm gonna try to find the grip, but it seems to be a very very difficult spot, between no power (too low rpm) and wheelspin (too much throttle/rpm). 4 strokes are friendlier for this.
But wait until I put those powervalves on!!!

Old 04-12-2001, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jeep,
Guess I should not imply anybody in smoking anything, but the few times I have raced a Raptor it did not take 300 ft to reel him back in after his hole shot. I do think that after the Raptors get sorted out, they WILL regularly beat a piped Banshee, but in my limited experience against a Raptor, I just dont see it happening yet... If it is all about traction or lack thereof, were the banshees running stock tires, which are notoriously bad as far as traction is concerned. Maybe the ITP Holeshots like mine might make the difference??? IF it is about traction, then its not fair to imply the Raptor is faster than a Banshee, athough to your credit, its not your fault these guys are running the stockers... No offence intended. Take it easy...

RoostKing...

Old 04-12-2001, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

sory to say but a stock raptor does beat a piped banshee even on good traction/

Old 04-12-2001, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer

I have a friend with a 99 shee and he has a alum head, reed valves and piston, I want to race him on the street and see how fast that is..

Old 04-12-2001, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

Jeff,

I own a banshee and a raptor I got two weeks ago for my wife. I have two friends with raptors. My brother has a raptor. NONE of them have beat my banshee to date. ZIP ZERO NADA. Could be my elevation or something else but it ain't happening. We race on roads, fire roads and even when trail riding I am always the first to to get to where we are going if I am on my shee. I think the Raptor has alot of potential for more power/speed however but its gonna cost alot of $$ I am not prepared to invest until I see what works the best. I do like taking the raptor out for leisurely trail rides but for an all out adrenaline rush I alway take the shee...