Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yfz 450 cranking problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yfz 450 cranking problem

Yfz is cranking super slow almost like it doesnt have power to rurn the motor over it will crank once extremely slow then twice amd sometimes a couple times more then it will just click have tried everything I put a new battery new relay new starter new stator checked the timing and the crank and the valves and I have no idea wtf is going on! I brought it to the dealer and they replaced all of the and I'm about 600 dollor into it already and my headlights don't work once I finally get it going it seems to run great. Please help!!!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like a flat battery, did you charge it up? Some new batteries are flat when they come and have to be charged for an hour or so. If it isn't just that I would take it back to the dealer and tell them they haven't fixed it. Seems like they are not very good though, as they have been "throwing parts at it" instead of testing things out.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by merryman
Sounds like a flat battery, did you charge it up? Some new batteries are flat when they come and have to be charged for an hour or so. If it isn't just that I would take it back to the dealer and tell them they haven't fixed it. Seems like they are not very good though, as they have been "throwing parts at it" instead of testing things out.
I charged the battery and the previous battery was good too. It is at the dealer rn I'm trying to get is back and fix it myself because I'm 19 and don't make much over minimum wage so don't have to much money to throw at at and the 100 dollor a hour is killing me thanks for the reply tho!

Old 08-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take apart the starter/kill switch assembly. It has a drain hole or 2 in the bottom, but gets gunked up over time. I have had similar issues and on occasion the contacts have been dirty enough to cause poor starting. The other thing I do is hack that battery box up a bit and fit a larger battery in. You may need to fab up a bar to hold the batt down as well. Or go with one of those new lithium iron or whatever batts. The stocker is the minimum size for weight restriction, but struggles when you add anything that makes it harder to start.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply scooter86 I will go tell them today and try it out.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Take apart the starter/kill switch assembly. It has a drain hole or 2 in the bottom, but gets gunked up over time. I have had similar issues and on occasion the contacts have been dirty enough to cause poor starting. The other thing I do is hack that battery box up a bit and fit a larger battery in. You may need to fab up a bar to hold the batt down as well. Or go with one of those new lithium iron or whatever batts. The stocker is the minimum size for weight restriction, but struggles when you add anything that makes it harder to start.
The dealer thinks the problem is that the starter can't handle the mods is this possible? I have a brand new started but it's not heavy duty?

Old 08-13-2016, 07:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What mods do you have? I have run them with 13:1 comp and a cam and the stock starter would wind it right up. Dead engine xc starts, so we ran larger batteries. That is just extra cranking amps though, not more voltage.