Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine 450 drains battery when wet

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450 drains battery when wet

What going on guys. I've had this old 06 Yamaha wolverine 450 for almost 10 years so its getting to where there is one problem after another until it's all fixed if that makes sense. I do ride this thing pretty hard though mud and other offroad elements and it the past year or so every time you'd hit a decent size puddle the battery would get wet and the sucker would totally shut off and not crank back even after the battery is completely charged. In earlier years the battery would get wet all the time and not give me any issues at all besides it would shut off due to the engine cooling off suddenly. Which is pretty typical on a carburetor motor. Anyway, I can't tell if it is not charging the battery effectively or if it is a connection issue with the terminals and I would get those terminals nice, clean, and tight and it would still cause the battery to completely die even when the battery is fairly new. I can't tell if it is a stator issue or something very simple. If it is a stator I'd be willing to pay for a new one and replace it but I dont want to fix something that's not broken. Anybody have a but of an idea before I dig in to the engine and pull the stator? Thanks Alot.

Stay Safe!

Old 11-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Bet you will find a bare wire someplace that when wet causes a short. Could be a bad connection somewhere besides the battery, look carefully and closely, clean ALL electrical connections and coat with dielectric grease to prevent future problems. I have had to do this on my boat on occasion just because it is near the water....constant corrosion. Riding thru mud and water doesn't help one bit ...but it sure is fun!